Check your account email address ×

Greatest race car driver of all time.

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, ckf said:

As much as it pains me to say it, JJ has surpassed Senior in my mind. And that's coming from a huge Senior fan. KB is also going to make his mark before he's done, too. If he wasn't such a mental midget earlier in his career he might have already had 3-4 champioships under his belt.

That comes later :lol:

I don’t buy JJ surpassing Sr....as far as talent I agree about Shrub...pure wheelman.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I don’t buy JJ surpassing Sr....as far as talent I agree about Shrub...pure wheelman.

That's a debate that can go either way IMO. IIf Shrub stays healthy and in good equipment I think he will end up with more wins than JJ. Winning 6 more titles is unlikely though.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ckf said:

As much as it pains me to say it, JJ has surpassed Senior in my mind. And that's coming from a huge Senior fan. KB is also going to make his mark before he's done, too. If he wasn't such a mental midget earlier in his career he might have already had 3-4 champioships under his belt.

That comes later :lol:

Petty did more with less. 

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

:wrong:

petty had the best equipment and ran at a time their were so many races and so little talent/competitive teams. 

The cars and tires back then compared to what they are now and what Sr. and JJ ran for the majority of their wins isn't even close.  

3 minutes ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

The cars and tires back then compared to what they are now and what Sr. and JJ ran for the majority of their wins isn't even close.  

who cares they all had the same basic cars and tires but Petty had the best of that equipement,  JJ has been in far more level equipment,  everything nascar has done since the 90's was to even the competition.  

5 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

who cares they all had the same basic cars and tires but Petty had the best of that equipement,  JJ has been in far more level equipment,  everything nascar has done since the 90's was to even the competition.  

You know that is a good point...people are bitching about the racing now but it wasn’t all that long ago where a race at Atlanta might only have a handful of cars on the lead lap at the finish.

38 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

5F8750AE-98A2-4628-A9FD-8F730175100A.gif.0222fc9e9b5223311c5a9e8f25147468.gif.fe40661cc418f3d18a6777a21c6f9542.gif.bba2cfb752f3224fbd513c1dc8bb1011.gif

The Doctor is in the house. Valentino Rossi is the best racer of all time. Championships in all 4 motorcycle road racing categories. Yes it's only 2 wheels but he tried out for and turned down a Ferrari F1 ride so he could continue in MotoGP. Competitive in and also turned down World Rally rides to continue in MotoGP.  At age 40 he is still competitive in a sport that favors the young rider.

Lots of great racers, impossible to compare or rate them but I wouldn't put many NASCAR drivers on that list.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sael said:

The Doctor is in the house. Valentino Rossi is the best racer of all time. Championships in all 4 motorcycle road racing categories. Yes it's only 2 wheels but he tried out for and turned down a Ferrari F1 ride so he could continue in MotoGP. Competitive in and also turned down World Rally rides to continue in MotoGP.  At age 40 he is still competitive in a sport that favors the young rider.

Lots of great racers, impossible to compare or rate them but I wouldn't put many NASCAR drivers on that list.

I wouldn't either...Andretti, Clark, Gurney, Foyt....I will say that Juan Pablo Montoya is a very good racer yet struggled in NASCAR.

• Like 2

what makes a driver great these days? top nascar, indy, NHRA drivers have alot of help. the crew, the equipment, the sponsors.... you'd have to cut it down solely to how well they actually drive a car, and i'm not sure if going in circles, or ovals, or a 1/4 mile straightaway is a good measuring stick of that. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sael said:

Tony Stewart would be the best choice for a Nascar driver to consider IMO. Not quite in the same class as some of the others that we are discussing though.  If he wasn't a mental midget like KB he would have been more success

• Like 1

Just now, Snoslinger said:

what makes a driver great these days? top nascar, indy, NHRA drivers have alot of help. the crew, the equipment, the sponsors.... you'd have to cut it down solely to how well they actually drive a car, and i'm not sure if going in circles, or ovals, or a 1/4 mile straightaway is a good measuring stick of that. 

Drag Racing is lame IMO and I agree that you need to look at drivers  that have excelled in various racing series....Indycar, F1, Endurance...Lemans, Sebring, Daytona and yes ovals especially the Indy 500.

1 minute ago, ckf said:

Tony Stewart would be the best choice for a Nascar driver to consider IMO. Not quite in the same class as some of the others that we are discussing though.  If he wasn't a mental midget like KB he would have been more success

Kurt Busch ran the Indy 500 and excelled considering he was a "rookie" and I agree about Stewart...he is a lot like his hero AJ Foyt. 

Edited by Jimmy Snacks
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

Good point. In F1 there are usually only a couple of teams capable of winning week in and week out.

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Kurt Busch ran the Indy 500 and excelled considering he was a "rookie"

Yes he did, but Stewart won Indy and cup championships. He also won a lot of USAC stuff back in the day.

• Like 1

Just now, ckf said:

Mercedes and Ferrari week in and week out IMO. Redbull was competitive at certain tracks.

So most weeks only 4 drivers have a chance and a lot of times subject to team orders...lame.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

So most weeks only 4 drivers have a chance and a lot of times subject to team orders...lame.

Pretty much. Unless they have issues ,it's pretty much the lead driver from the two teams.