Check your account email address ×

Wealth concentration near ‘levels last seen during the Roaring Twenties,’ study finds

7 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Hey, it was used, so...

All three were new.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Good point as was the pickup they were given to maintain the grounds at the folks rental properties.

That was a company vehicle to deliver orders that my mother's company generated the day before.

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I think the point is that there are different ideas around here about what constitutes the old bootstraps.

Well, the 'successful' ones 'deserved' the help they got from their privilege. 

The rest are just losers who shoulda picked different parents.

• Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, s pump said:

All three were new.

That was a company vehicle to deliver orders that my mother's company generated the day before.

OK...but you do realize that most in this country don’t have the advantages you did? 

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

Just now, motonoggin said:

My point exactly.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I think the point is that there are different ideas around here about what constitutes the old bootstraps.

Not sure the old bootstraps is really relevant anymore.

We lived better lives than our parents and our kids will likely live better lives than us. They don't need to start from rock bottom every time.

Just now, Angry ginger said:

Gary is pretty grounded and really made his own way and appreciates what his parents went through for their sucess.  

He definitely sounds that way and I am not criticizing his parents at all.

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

We lived better lives than our parents and our kids will likely live better lives than us. They don't need to start from rock bottom every time.

Maybe if you're white and not economically disadvantaged...

2 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

many of the "successful" ones are just a fraud anyways.  Beauty of seeing peoples real financial lives in what i do is seeing the reality.  not hard to make yourself look like a baller if your willing to be in debt up to your eyeballs.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Amazon.com: Founder Jeff Bezos got a $100,000 investment from his parents to start the famous online store.

American Apparel: Founder Dov Charney borrowed $10,000 from his father to start manufacturing clothing.

Chipotle: Founder Steve Ellis opened his 1st restaurant outside the University of Denver with an $85,000 loan from his dad.

CompuServe Corp: Pioneering online service provider was founded on $1 million from co-founder Jeff Wilkins’ father-in-law.

Spin Magazine: Bob Guccione Jr. is son of the publisher of Penthouse Magazine who loaned him $2 million to get started.

GoPro: Nick Woodman’s parents, (father is co-founder of investment bank Robertson Stephens), lent him $235,000 to get started.

Poundland: The UK’s massive dollar store chain began with a £50,000 investment from founder Steve Smith’s father.

SpaceX/Tesla: Elon Musk’s first company Zip2 was founded with $28,000 of his father’s money. That sold to Compaq for $307 million and $34 million in stock options and set Musk on the path to creating X.com/Paypal, SpaceX, and Tesla.

Squarespace: Founder Anthony Casalena received $30,000 from his father in 2003 to build his all-in-one web publishing suite.

Xmission: Utah’s oldest ISP was founded in 1993 based on an undisclosed investment from founder Pete Ashdown’s father.

Vente-Privee.com: French e-commerce site was built by Jackques-Antoine Granjon with $3,000 he received from his father, a real estate developer.

Applebee’s: In 1980, husband and wife restaurateurs Bill and TJ Palmer received $5,200 from their parents to construct the first Applebee’s restaurant in Atlanta.

Friendly’s Ice Cream: Brothers Prestley and Curtis Blake opened their signature ice cream business in 1935 with a $500 investment from their parents. In 2015 dollars, that investment is worth $8,679.

Jimmy John’s: Founder Jimmy John Liautaud accepted a $25,000 loan from his father to start his chain of sandwich shops.

Enso Capital Management: Founded by Joshua Fink with a “minority investment” from his father Laurence Fink, a co-founder of BlackRock Inc.

Cobalt Capital Management Inc:Founded by Wayne Cooperman with a starting investment from his father Leon Cooperman, founder of Omega Advisors Inc.

Chatroulette: The popular-for-a-second video chat site was built on a $10,000 investment from 18-year old Andrey Ternoviskiy’s parents.

Motown Records: The most successful African-American business in the United States was founded in 1959 with $700 from Berry Gordy’s father. Correcting for inflation, the investment would be the equivalent of approximately $6,000 today.

Greenlight Capital: Famous hedge fund manager David Einhorn opened his first fund in 1996 at age 27 with a “significant investment” from his parents.

Jesus Christ.  How many begged borrowed and got "gifted" money to get started that failed?  

But meh...numbers and percentages.

1 minute ago, motonoggin said:

There's a reason why you can almost always predict what class a child will end up in just by looking at their zip code. 

So why is it that most privileged kids kabosh the family business when its their turn to run it?

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

many of the "successful" ones are just a fraud anyways.  Beauty of seeing peoples real financial lives in what i do is seeing the reality.  not hard to make yourself look like a baller if your willing to be in debt up to your eyeballs.  

Hmmmmmm.......😆

I see it every week . $800,000 house , $130k parked in the driveway. Call to tell me they will have my $200 for me in just 2 more weeks. 

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

So why is it that most privileged kids kabosh the family business when its their turn to run it?

That  depends on the parents. You will almost never see a purtugese kid destroy the family buss because he started with a broom in his hand at 13. Not as assistant CEo at 23

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

My idea comes from what you and your brother have posted....nothing more. Good for your mom...most people in this country are getting fucked over.

I don't know about the rest of the country getting fucked over Jimmy. I hang out with a pretty successful group of people and all of them have done it largely on their own ambition, risk-taking and drive. You own a painting company. Do you have two guys working for you, do you have 50 guys working for you? It's up to the individual to decide where their comfort zone is. My mom and dad didn't have shit and slowly built wealth by not doing stupid shit and investing in the future. I'll give it to you that it was easier then but it was also after World War II when there was nothing left to do but grow. Take a chance go bid some big jobs and hire some guys.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

OK...but you do realize that most in this country don’t have the advantages you did? 

Absolutely but on the other hand I have been working every day of my life since I was 14 years old. Ran our own business for 20 plus years. Still running another business along with a full-time job. I'm enjoying myself and definitely have had some advantages over a lot of people. Being bitter over what other people have is a no-win situation. I go down to Jupiter Florida to my buddies place and realize that I am a piss ant in the scheme of things but I don't hold any animosity towards folks who have been that successful.

Gary is pretty grounded and really made his own way and appreciates what his parents went through for their sucess.  

Why thank you Jeff

8 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

There's a reason why you can almost always predict what class a child will end up in just by looking at their zip code. 

I never realized what a victim you are. Maybe you should move to a better zip code

2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I would agree,  but when you pretend your parents success is yours or your living off their tit for your whole lifetime are you really any better than the welfare case who never stood a chance because they grew up in the ghetto.  I've seen some people really expand their parents success and they deserve credit for that as long as they are humble enough to give credit for their start,  also seen many that lost it all or are so stupid their parents parked them in a no show job so they don't fuck it up yet they act like they have the world by the balls.  Local car dealer sold off his successful brands over the last 5 years because he couldn't trust his kid to not fuck it up  

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Many also have it and they are just assholes.

That is true. Ive also done estimates for people with almost no furniture in a new home. Ya walk in and say hello and the fucking place echo's.

7 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

What?  Are you saying that dude at the chamber breakfast with a $199 suit, a timex and that fancy $40 Sheaffer pen from CVS that was handing out cards with his title "President and CEO" wasn't a success?

No fookin' whey!

:lol: 

Hey I’m fine Gary but I’m talking about the segment of the population that has a hard time getting a decent public education or decent meal. From the judicial system to financial institutions there are people that will never get a fair shake and it ain’t getting better.

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

What?  Are you saying that dude at the chamber breakfast with a $199 suit, a timex and that fancy $40 Sheaffer pen from CVS that was handing out cards with his title "President and CEO" wasn't a success?

No fookin' whey!

:lol: 

He just may be. Its the guy with the rolex , and Armani that is more likely the fraud.

6 minutes ago, s pump said:

I don't know about the rest of the country getting fucked over Jimmy. I hang out with a pretty successful group of people and all of them have done it largely on their own ambition, risk-taking and drive. You own a painting company. Do you have two guys working for you, do you have 50 guys working for you? It's up to the individual to decide where their comfort zone is. My mom and dad didn't have shit and slowly built wealth by not doing stupid shit and investing in the future. I'll give it to you that it was easier then but it was also after World War II when there was nothing left to do but grow. Take a chance go bid some big jobs and hire some guys.

Absolutely but on the other hand I have been working every day of my life since I was 14 years old. Ran our own business for 20 plus years. Still running another business along with a full-time job. I'm enjoying myself and definitely have had some advantages over a lot of people. Being bitter over what other people have is a no-win situation. I go down to Jupiter Florida to my buddies place and realize that I am a piss ant in the scheme of things but I don't hold any animosity towards folks who have been that successful.

Why thank you Jeff

That is the pivotal point in most businesses, growing beyond yourself.