Check your account email address ×

***OFFICIAL NHL CUP PLAYOFFS THREAD***

31 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I no expert by any means and didn't play the game growing up but how does an Original Six team like The Leafs exhibit so much futilty while an expansion team like Winnipeg assembles such a skilled and physical team?  Now I realize there is history in Winnipeg but they have done a great job in a short period of time. Hell look at what Vegas has been able to do.

The orginal six hold no advantage over the first or second wave of expansion teams...or any expansion team after.  Other than maybe fan base sizes and nostalgia, they all can equally build the same team of talent....or garbage.

37 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I picked the jets to win the cup but I'd sure like to see MN make a series out of it.

Our only chance is a good rally tonight at home with a decisive victory.  The Xcell will be rocking as hard as Winnipegs barn was if not harder.  Short of a surprising, one-sided victory tonight, I still just don't see us picking up both wins at home...especially after watching Peg school us on how it's done in the playoffs. 

Sux....but, normal.

21 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I understand that as well...It still seems strange they can't put together a winner.

It's a town full of fucking morons....they deserve it :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I no expert by any means and didn't play the game growing up but how does an Original Six team like The Leafs exhibit so much futilty while an expansion team like Winnipeg assembles such a skilled and physical team?  Now I realize there is history in Winnipeg but they have done a great job in a short period of time. Hell look at what Vegas has been able to do.

I,m no expert either, but I believe it has to start at the top, and you have to be able to see what direction the NHL play is trending, great scouting, and a lot of luck, hoping some 3rd round picks blossom into a Marchand, minus the kisses. LOL.

It,s usually about a 5 year cycle, to build a team in the manner in which you think it will be able to compete, both during the regular season, and the tougher playoff season. I think Babcock is probably one of the 5 top coaches in the league.

You have to have a great farm system, with excellent coaching, that teaches the same systems the NHL uses.

Like Gretzky said when they got beat out the first time they went to the finals, you,ve got to give it all you got, and them some.

Mental toughness. Some group of players have it, some don,t. To-days NHL is all about speed and skill, and playoff experience certainly helps as well.

One TSN analyst mentioned that Montreal is now probably the most fukked up franchise in the league.

No prospects, no direction, no heart, and not much for draft picks either. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
13 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

I,m no expert either, but I believe it has to start at the top, and you have to be able to see what direction the NHL play is trending, great scouting, and a lot of luck, hoping some 3rd round picks blossom into a Marchand, minus the kisses. LOL.

It,s usually about a 5 year cycle, to build a team in the manner in which you think it will be able to compete, both during the regular season, and the tougher playoff season. I think Babcock is probably one of the 5 top coaches in the league.

You have to have a great farm system, with excellent coaching, that teaches the same systems the NHL uses.

Like Gretzky said when they got beat out the first time they went to the finals, you,ve got to give it all you got, and them some.

Mental toughness. Some group of players have it, some don,t. To-days NHL is all about speed and skill, and playoff experience certainly helps as well.

One TSN analyst mentioned that Montreal is now probably the most fukked up franchise in the league.

Good assessment and I wish Babcock was still in Detroit. 

Weird about Montreal....another storied  franchise floundering. 

The tough part about Montreal is they want everyone from the top down, to be bi-lingual, so it really limits their choices.

I would guess that is why Larry Robinson never got a chance to coach there, even thou he won 9 cups with them.

I,m kinda amazed that Bergeron is still there as a GM.

It will be interesting to see if Ottawa keeps their coach, and where Vignault will end up. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

The Leafs didn't care much about winning. They filled the seats, made millions and laughed all the way to the bank. As someone said, about the seats being filled year after year, Leaf fans are the dumbest around. This is true, imo, the fans kept supporting them even though they were an embarrassment to those who knew the game. Things didn't change until things got real bad with people finally smartening up and throwing their sweaters on the ice, wearing bags over their heads, etc. The hiring of Shanahan, then Babcock was all part of this current rebuilding phase. Out with the old boys club and in with the new. Getting Mathews, and a couple other decent players is the new beginning but as we have all seen, they are still rebuilding with a ways to go yet. 

I always felt bad for Matts Sudin. Imo, he was chosen just to give the dumb fans a sense of hope, to string them along, keep them hoping all in order to keep the seats full. The Leafs are the richest team in the NHL and everything we have seen for the last couple decades is inexcusable. Look at the players who they got rid of, look at how the team was managed/ran. Most players who leave shine on other teams. The Leafs had no clue, or purposely played them on the wrong lines or gave them different roles. It was all done on purpose so they didn't have to sign huge contracts. Pat Quinn, a great coach, said after his firing, his desire to win was miles apart from management's desire to win. The Leafs were making millions upon millions but when they finally became the laughing stock of the NHL and started to slowly lose money, that is when they started to turn things around. We will see going forward with what they do, and if they are serious about winning another Stanley Cup, but, imo, it will be a while yet, and only if they don't resort back to their old ways of running things. :dunno:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frostynuts said:

There’s too many teams in the NHL. Arenas built outside major cities won’t attract as much as ones in the city. 

You could eliminate probably 6 teams right now.

3 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

There’s too many teams in the NHL. Arenas built outside major cities won’t attract as much as ones in the city. 

Wut?  

Silence.  Just observe here.  Save your complete ineptness for political threads.  K thanx.

5 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

I am not sure about some of the teams you are talking about but I know Ottawa's is ridiculously far away. Is it any wonder they can't fill the seats, and couldn't even last year when they were contending for the Cup. Who wants to go and have a few beer and enjoy the game when one has to worry about driving home or having a DD every game they attend. Is it any wonder Ottawa fans, the city and the owner are having issues? 

11 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Wut?  

Silence.  Just observe here.  Save your complete ineptness for political threads.  K thanx.

Sorry you have no clue here. The NHL is watered down immensely, expansion was a bad idea.

Attendance by team last season

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Hockey_League_attendance_figures#2016–17_attendance_statistics

Edited by Mainecat

3 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I get that but I'm talking their long term futility.

They have such a crazy traditional fan base that they have never had to worry about their dismal on ice performance translating into losing money.  Same with the Habs.  Total guess, but I bet there are lots of politics and power struggles behind the scenes when it comes to player choices and moves.  I think the Babcock / Shanahan era was supposed to help this, but who knows.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frostynuts said:

The tough part about Montreal is they want everyone from the top down, to be bi-lingual, so it really limits their choices.

I would guess that is why Larry Robinson never got a chance to coach there, even thou he won 9 cups with them.

I,m kinda amazed that Bergeron is still there as a GM.

It will be interesting to see if Ottawa keeps their coach, and where Vignault will end up. 

I can't believe that either! Thought he would have long been lynched by now. My gut also tells me, Price is regretting signing that huge contract with them, He lost his bud in Subban and they let another couple good players like Radulov slip away. He is not happy, I can almost guarantee that, but I am sure the money he is currently making is helping ease his pain. 

21 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Sorry you have no clue here. The NHL is watered down immensely, expansion was a bad idea.

Attendance by team last season

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Hockey_League_attendance_figures#2016–17_attendance_statistics

What does that have to do with you comment about "Arenas built outside major cities won’t attract as much as ones in the city"?  Short of blatant common sense in it's simple form, it doesn't serve as a sole indicator of a teams revenue numbers. or success.  

57 minutes ago, snopro31 said:

Winnipeg thanks Toronto for taking the #1 draft pick.  Drafting a bust must be difficult.

:lol:

This is super easy. Matthew was the 1st overall pick in the 2016 draft, Laine was 2nd. Matthews helped his team get to the playoffs in his rookie year, the jets didn't even come close to making the playoffs. Matthews won the Calder Trophy for Rookie of the year with 164 first place votes out of a total of 167. Laine only got 3 votes for first, out of a total of 167. Matthews plays on the first line even though he is only 20 years old, Laine play on the second line. Matthews elevates the whole team, laine does nothing. Its pretty easy, obviously Matthews is the better player, Mitch Marner is better than Laine. Oh wait I forgot, there is one thing that Laine has done that Matthews hasn't, score on his own net.

Here's how Winnipeg acquired tonight's lineup. Not a single NHL FA signing. Unbelievable job by Cheveldayoff and his scouting staff:
Draft - Draft - Trade
Draft - Trade - Draft
Draft - Draft - Trade
Draft - Draft - College FA

Draft - Draft
Trade - Trade
Draft - Trade

Draft

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, irv said:

:lol:

This is super easy. Matthew was the 1st overall pick in the 2016 draft, Laine was 2nd. Matthews helped his team get to the playoffs in his rookie year, the jets didn't even come close to making the playoffs. Matthews won the Calder Trophy for Rookie of the year with 164 first place votes out of a total of 167. Laine only got 3 votes for first, out of a total of 167. Matthews plays on the first line even though he is only 20 years old, Laine play on the second line. Matthews elevates the whole team, laine does nothing. Its pretty easy, obviously Matthews is the better player, Mitch Marner is better than Laine. Oh wait I forgot, there is one thing that Laine has done that Matthews hasn't, score on his own net.

image.thumb.png.1be1a9635a0af450319dfc0cbc47e423.png

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

What does that have to do with you comment about "Arenas built outside major cities won’t attract as much as ones in the city"?  Short of blatant common sense in it's simple form, it doesn't serve as a sole indicator of a teams revenue numbers. or success.  

A lot. You don’t try to grow apples in the Sahara Desert. 

16 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

Alot of experts said Laine would be a better career player than Matthew'. 

I find them both to be fucking incredible .....neither is in their prime or close to it and they are game changers. I think we are watching the best young group of forwards since Bure and Selanne and Bondra  and Jagr and Modano et al were playing

• Like 1

It's not even close. Give Mathews the linemates Laine has and everyone in the NHL/Canada would be talking about Mathews and no one else. 

Matthews is a center with a high FOW% first year. 
Look at their takeaways and giveaways. That will give you a two-way knowledge of their abilities and also helps towards possession.
GvA(Giveaway) TkA(Takeaway) Laine - GvA (55) TkA (43) = -12
Matthews - GvA (44) TkA (76) = +32
PERSPECTIVE McDavid - GvA (54) TkA (76) = +22
Matthews also blocked 61 shots and Laine only blocked 33.
Not to mention Laine's unsustainable s%.
Matthews is a whole tier better.
Laine is one dimensional and can just put the puck in the net from the left wing after Scheifle skates through the opposing teams.
Mathews does what Scheifle does and still puts the puck in the net.  :snack:

Just wants to clear it behind the net? Whatever; he had a brain cramp and thought was playing for Edmonton for a moment. :lol:

Edited by irv

3 minutes ago, irv said:

It's not even close. Give Mathews the linemates Laine has and everyone in the NHL/Canada would be talking about Mathews and no one else. 

Matthews is a center with a high FOW% first year. 
Look at their takeaways and giveaways. That will give you a two-way knowledge of their abilities and also helps towards possession.
GvA(Giveaway) TkA(Takeaway) Laine - GvA (55) TkA (43) = -12
Matthews - GvA (44) TkA (76) = +32
PERSPECTIVE McDavid - GvA (54) TkA (76) = +22
Matthews also blocked 61 shots and Laine only blocked 33.
Not to mention Laine's unsustainable s%.
Matthews is a whole tier better.
Laine is one dimensional and can just put the puck in the net from the left wing after Scheifle skates through the opposing teams.
Mathews does what Scheifle does and still puts the puck in the net.  :snack:

I totally disagree......Laine has a shot that is so fucking ruthless its almost unfair. He has Ovechkin potential as a pure goal scorer. The fucking kid is only 19 years old still