Check your account email address ×

United Airlines Apologizes After Dog Dies in Overhead Compartment

I’m on record here as saying no fuckin animal should ever be in the passenger section of a flight. Last flight a woamn had her cat under her seat in front of me it cried most of the flight and I could smell piss.

the dog should have been in the cargo hold.

Source: New York Times

United Airlines apologized on Tuesday after a dog died on a flight during which it was stored in a passenger’s overhead compartment...The dog, a black French bulldog that was traveling in a pet carrier, was placed in the compartment shortly before United Flight 1284 left Houston for New York...(T)he owner was instructed to put her dog there shortly after she boarded with two children, one of whom was an infant. 

“The pet owner was very adamant that she did not want to put the pet carrier up above,” ...a witness...said. “She was saying verbally, ‘My dog is in here, no, this is my dog.’ The flight attendant, in response, really just continued to ask her to put it above because it was a hazard where it was, it was a safety emergency, someone could trip.” 

Eventually, the pet owner, whom United declined to name, complied with the flight attendant...(the) witness...said the owner was preoccupied by her infant during the flight and did not check on the pet, which fell eerily silent after barking during takeoff and as the plane ascended to its cruising altitude... 

Putting animals in the overhead compartment is against the airline’s policies, which say pets are required to travel in carriers that “must fit completely under the seat in front of the customer and remain there at all times.” United said it was investigating who had put the dog in the overhead compartment and why.

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/13/business/united-dead-dog.html 

Just now, Angry ginger said:

cats should be left home,  if your bringing the dog with you buy a seat for it and have the good boy sit right next to you.  I'd rather have a dog than a person sitting in my row as dogs>people

Until it shits in the aisle. No friggin animals.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

I’m on record here as saying no fuckin animal should ever be in the passenger section of a flight. Last flight a woamn had her cat under her seat in front of me it cried most of the flight and I could smell piss.

the dog should have been in the cargo hold.

Source: New York Times

United Airlines apologized on Tuesday after a dog died on a flight during which it was stored in a passenger’s overhead compartment...The dog, a black French bulldog that was traveling in a pet carrier, was placed in the compartment shortly before United Flight 1284 left Houston for New York...(T)he owner was instructed to put her dog there shortly after she boarded with two children, one of whom was an infant. 

“The pet owner was very adamant that she did not want to put the pet carrier up above,” ...a witness...said. “She was saying verbally, ‘My dog is in here, no, this is my dog.’ The flight attendant, in response, really just continued to ask her to put it above because it was a hazard where it was, it was a safety emergency, someone could trip.” 

Eventually, the pet owner, whom United declined to name, complied with the flight attendant...(the) witness...said the owner was preoccupied by her infant during the flight and did not check on the pet, which fell eerily silent after barking during takeoff and as the plane ascended to its cruising altitude... 

Putting animals in the overhead compartment is against the airline’s policies, which say pets are required to travel in carriers that “must fit completely under the seat in front of the customer and remain there at all times.” United said it was investigating who had put the dog in the overhead compartment and why.

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/13/business/united-dead-dog.html 

So they need to change the policy then.  Would never bring a pet on a plane period, but that's just me.

Also, I'm sure the cat smelled some unpleasantries from you as well.:lol:

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

cats should be left home,  if your bringing the dog with you buy a seat for it and have the good boy sit right next to you.  I'd rather have a dog than a person sitting in my row as dogs>people

:bc:

6 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Yup. 

How about no fucking infants either.  Isn't that fun for EVERYONE!!!!  Your kid can't talk? You're driving...period.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Until it shits in the aisle. No friggin animals.

good boys don't shit in the aisle

FTR i actually don't disagree with you,  as much as i love dogs people aren't responsible,enough to know if their dog could handle a flight.  Mine would just curl up next to me

marshall.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Yup. 

How about no fucking infants either.  Isn't that fun for EVERYONE!!!!  Your kid can't talk? You're driving...period.

My kids traveled all over starting at 3 months old-  we always bought a seat for our kids and dimetapped them before they got on the plane so they slept when they were babies.  hell with my daughter we did it till she was old enough to start saying but I don"t have a cold.  

• Platinum Contributing Member
48 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

My kids traveled all over starting at 3 months old-  we always bought a seat for our kids and dimetapped them before they got on the plane so they slept when they were babies.  hell with my daughter we did it till she was old enough to start saying but I don"t have a cold.  

I still do it to myself

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

good boys don't shit in the aisle

FTR i actually don't disagree with you,  as much as i love dogs people aren't responsible,enough to know if their dog could handle a flight.  Mine would just curl up next to me

marshall.jpg

Nice dog !

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

So they need to change the policy then.  Would never bring a pet on a plane period, but that's just me.

Also, I'm sure the cat smelled some unpleasantries from you as well.:lol:

Part of the reason we drive everywhere.