Check your account email address ×

Facebook to expose Russian fake news pages

I know there are quite a few here who are into Facebook big time, let us know if you liked any of the fake Russkie news sites.

Facebook to expose Russian fake news pages

Facebook plans to let people see if they had "liked" pages created by "foreign actors" to spread propaganda during the US presidential election.

The social network has previously said as many as 126 million Americans may have seen content uploaded by Russia-based agents over the past two years.

It is building a tool to let people see whether they had followed now-deleted pages made by the Russia-based Internet Research Agency.

The tool will be launched in December.

The Internet Research Agency was behind hundreds of Facebook, Instagram and Twitter accounts and posted thousands of politically-charged messages.

Many of the pages such as Heart Of Texas, Being Patriotic and Secured Borders were designed to look like they were created by US citizens.

In November 2016, Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg said it was a "pretty crazy idea" to suggest misinformation spread on the social network influenced the US presidential election.

Since then, the company has identified thousands of posts and paid advertisements placed by Russia-based operatives.

It has been criticised for allowing propaganda and fake news to spread on its platform and taking too long to address the problem.

Russia has repeatedly denied allegations that it attempted to influence the last US presidential election, in which Donald Trump beat Hillary Clinton.

"It is important that people understand how foreign actors tried to sow division and mistrust using Facebook before and after the 2016 US election," Facebook said in a blog post.

"That's why, as we have discovered information, we have continually come forward to share it publicly and have provided it to congressional investigators.

"And it's also why we're building the tool we are announcing today."

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42096045

You alt left are so misinformed about this it's not even funny

there are "fake news" pages everywhere, always. It's just click bait for ad revenue. This is nothing new at all. And using the most popular events at the time is the best way to get clicks.

fake accounts have always been there as well, spamming links in the comments to websites, etc. 

Every political party has fake trolls defending them on FB. Hillary spent over a million dollars on them. Probably more. And they stick out like a sore thumb.

if someone writing "omg I'm pro woman's rights therefore I MUST vote for Hillary! #ImWithHer" influenced your voting decisions then you're the problem not them

Edited by Rod Johnson

5 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

there are "fake news" pages everywhere, always. It's just click bait for ad revenue. This is nothing new at all. And using the most popular events at the time is the best way to get clicks.

fake accounts have always been there as well, spamming links in the comments to websites, etc. 

Every political party has fake trolls defending them on FB. Hillary spent over a million dollars on them. Probably more. And they stick out like a sore thumb.

if someone writing "omg I'm pro woman's rights therefore I MUST vote for Hillary! #ImWithHer" influenced your voting decisions then you're the problem not them

Here is one. You Russian bot

21 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

I’ve seen plenty of “being patriotic”. If you can’t tell these are propaganda/heavy right leaning pages, you deserved to be duped. It’s click bait garbage. 

So glad I don’t partake in any social media, it’s all fake. 

49 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

Alt left....  :lol:

Neal

3 minutes ago, bussman said:

Alt Left Neal :triggered: 

:owned: 

Well I am definitely alternative to the left.  So I guess I'd rather be alt left than left, right, or alt right.  :bc:

Buss :owned: you didn't think that through all the way....

Neal

Edited by NaturallyAspirated

1 hour ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

I’ve seen plenty of “being patriotic”. If you can’t tell these are propaganda/heavy right leaning pages, you deserved to be duped. It’s click bait garbage. 

You're a pretty sharp individual, there are many who don't have reasoning and comprehension skills you have, so it's probably a good thing that FB is going after the fake Russian news machine.

10,000 new hires to get this cleaned up, MAGA :bc: 

What is our action plan against foreign interference?

We are committed to protecting legitimate political discussion within our community and fighting foreign interference in elections. That's why we are taking steps to increase Facebook's transparency and security.

Strengthening Enforcement

Investing in operations: We're improving our systems to keep activity on Facebook authentic. This includes hiring 10,000 people including ad reviewers, engineers and security experts and combining their skills with advances in AI and machine learning to identify and remove content violations and fake accounts.

Updating our policies: We're updating our policy to block ads from Pages that repeatedly share stories marked as false by third-party fact-checking organizations.

Learn more about Facebook Security.

Increasing Transparency

Sharing 3,000 ads with Congress: We're actively collaborating with government authorities and other technology companies to identify common threats and stop foreign interference.

Making advertising more transparent: We're building new tools to make it clearer who is paying for political ads, and we're making it possible for you to click a link and see the ads a Page is running, even ones not targeted to you. In addition, anyone purchasing US election ads will now be required to confirm who they are.

Learn more about Facebook Ads and Ad Controls.

Supporting an Informed Community

Fighting false news: We're committed to preventing the spread of false news by removing economic incentives for spammers, building new products, and helping people make more informed decisions about what to read, trust and share.

Reducing clickbait: We've made updates so that you see fewer clickbait stories in your News Feed.

Learn more about News Feed updates.

We take this issue seriously and are committed to doing our part to help prevent foreign interference in the future. Hear more from Mark Zuckerberg and Sheryl Sandberg.

https://www.facebook.com/help/1991443604424859

Edited by Mileage Psycho

1 minute ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Well I am definitely alternative to the left.  So I guess I'd rather be alt left than left, right, or alt right.  :bc:

Buss :owned: you didn't think that through all the way....

Neal

I’m Alt Center, you can only dream of being me. :owned: 

:lol: 

:bc: 

43 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

You're a pretty sharp individual, there are many who don't have reasoning and comprehension skills you have, so it's probably a good thing that FB is going after the fake Russian news machine.

10,000 new hires to get this cleaned up, MAGA :bc: 

Fucking winning!!!! Trumps collusion is creating jobs!!! Hella MAGA!!