Check your account email address ×

Housing shortage.

WASHINGTON (AP) - The number of people who signed contracts to buy homes was flat in September, reflecting an ongoing nationwide shortage of homes being listed for sale.

The National Association of Realtors says its pending home sales index was 106 in September, the same as August's revised number. It's the index's lowest point since a 104.7 reading in January of 2015 and 3.5 percent lower than a year ago. It has fallen on an annual basis five of the past six months.

Regionally, the South saw a decline of 2.3 percent while the Northeast, Midwest and West all saw slight upticks. However, all four regional indexes are down at least 2 percent from a year ago, with the South down the most at 5 percent.

Homebuyers - particularly those searching for homes on the lower end of the price scale - are being stifled by rising home values, a limited selection of properties on the market and a shortage of savings. First-time buyers in September were 29 percent of sales, the lowest share in two years, the Realtors said.

Pending sales contracts are a barometer of future purchases. Sales are typically completed a month or two after a contract is signed.

The average houses around here are popping quick, the big dollar ones seem to take longer but they’re sellin too. And there’s been a nice uptick in the price in the last year. 

its terrible,  we have laid off staff because while we have the buyers we don't have the inventory to buy therefore pipelines are down.  I have a dozen clients out looking who can't find anything and when they do find something a lot of home inspection issues pop up

They are building like crazy over by me. I saw crews working saturday and sunday this past weekend. All people looking to escape illinois are jumping over the border and creating a housing boom. 

Nothing new going in here for quite some time now.  Real expensive to do a subdivision here these days and most builders, the few that are left,  only want to build $300,000 plus homes to be able to make much of a profit off of.  One builder in particular is steady because he builds a modest sized low cost home.  Many of the foreclosures have been re-sold now for peanuts.  Biggest factor here is school taxes.  It's ridiculous and hurting people.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, hayward said:

Nothing new going in here for quite some time now.  Real expensive to do a subdivision here these days and most builders, the few that are left,  only want to build $300,000 plus homes to be able to make much of a profit off of.  One builder in particular is steady because he builds a modest sized low cost home.  Many of the foreclosures have been re-sold now for peanuts.  Biggest factor here is school taxes.  It's ridiculous and hurting people.

I'd like to see some changes to escrow rules where your property taxes are paid thru your lender.   Make the homeowner save on his own and write the check out themselves.  Maybe then people would have a better understanding of how ridiculously high they are.  

2 minutes ago, hayward said:

All of the new homes by me are $300k+ and selling like hot cakes. Our town implemented minimum standards so the whore developers wouldnt come in and build a shitload of low income housing. Minimum 2,600sf for 2 story and minimum 2,800sf for ranch. At least half of the front of the home must be masonry, no asphalt driveways, no chain link fences, bunch of other shit. Keeps the home prices up and keeps the "riff raff" out if you know what im sayin...

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I'd like to see some changes to escrow rules where your property taxes are paid thru your lender.   Make the homeowner save on his own and write the check out themselves.  Maybe then people would have a better understanding of how ridiculously high they are.  

The banks dont want to do that unless you have a minimum of 20% equity in your home. Too many people dont save for that and the banks dont want to have to foreclose because of unpaid taxes. 

Just now, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

The banks dont want to do that unless you have a minimum of 20% equity in your home. Too many people dont save for that and the banks dont want to have to foreclose because of unpaid taxes. 

Sad that people cannot be that personally responsible.   Telling.  

Edited by Highmark

6 minutes ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

Probably mostly Trump voters. :thumbsup:

But, but but it was the banks fault that I overspent and couldn't afford my mortgage.  

17 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I would like to see this, and I would love to see that payroll taxes NOT taken out automatically and make people have to actually write the check for those as well.  IMO, It would make some people really wake up.

• Like 1

Just now, Highmark said:

But, but but it was the banks fault that I overspent and couldn't afford my mortgage.  

People are stupid dude, you can point fingers all you want they are still going to fuck things up. I think that would be less likely to happen if the banks were more selective about loaning everybody money. Minimum of 20% down would probably solve alot of that but then we would have less home owners. The whole reason this started was to get more low income or disadvantaged people into houses. Now you have a bunch of financial derelicts in houses thats what you get. 

• Like 1

Just now, racer254 said:

I would like to see this, and I would love to see that payroll taxes NOT taken out automatically and make people have to actually write the check for those as well.  IMO, It would make some people really wake up.

Yep.  

Just now, racer254 said:

Thats because you are dumb. How much administration do you think would be required to chase every working person in the United States down for back payroll taxes? 

Just now, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

Thats because you are dumb. How much administration do you think would be required to chase every working person in the United States down for back payroll taxes? 

Probably about the same as it does now for back taxes.

1 minute ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

You really have no clue. 

Enlighten me.  Everyone still does taxes at the end of the year don't they?  The same number of people would still be doing the same number of taxes.

Edited by racer254

Just now, racer254 said:

Enlighten me.  Everyone still does taxes at the end of the year don't they?

except payroll taxes are required to be paid weekly by employers. If the govt waited until the end of the year to collect payroll taxes what are the odds that many people will have spent the money and what are the odds of the govt collecting that money? The fact that someone has to explain this to you shows that you really dont know wtf you are talking about. 

1 minute ago, Arctic Cat Destroyer said:

except payroll taxes are required to be paid weekly by employers. If the govt waited until the end of the year to collect payroll taxes what are the odds that many people will have spent the money and what are the odds of the govt collecting that money? The fact that someone has to explain this to you shows that you really dont know wtf you are talking about. 

Or, you could be made to send in the check quarterly.....OMG, the horror.  

Edited by racer254

Just now, racer254 said:

Of course, we want to make it as easy as possible for the government to get their money....right?

Youre "conservative" logic would cost taxpayers more in collection and overhead while collecting less. Stop trying to act smart, its not working.