Check your account email address ×

Medical costs of the Las Vegas shooting

3 hours ago, Biggie Smails said:

People may or may not get Care and most end up on the hook finanacially...also the fact that your aunt works in the hospital I'm sure palyed a role. This scenario is not the norm.

I know a handful of people here that have had medical problems without insurance at the time of the problems being treated and when they got there bills from the hospitals, they couldn't pay it.  They had assets to be taken, but instead the doctors made deals with these people that they could pay what they could afford monthly for basically the rest of their lives until the debt was settled.  The one in particular worked at the same place as I at the time, and had the same insurance I did which was around $750/month for family of 4, 16 years ago.  Good plan.  He sold firewood on the side and ended up getting his thumb severed in the splitter.  In a panic went to the hospital, surgeon sewed it back on, and weeks later he gets a bill for the whole shebang.  Turns out the doctor or hospital or both, wasn't on the list of coverage through our insurance.  Never thought to check that beforehand, and surly no one there looked at his medical card and told him before treatment that he wasn't covered at their facility.  Last I heard, he was still paying $20/month toward the bill.  :lol:It'll take a while.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, hayward said:

I know a handful of people here that have had medical problems without insurance at the time of the problems being treated and when they got there bills from the hospitals, they couldn't pay it.  They had assets to be taken, but instead the doctors made deals with these people that they could pay what they could afford monthly for basically the rest of their lives until the debt was settled.  The one in particular worked at the same place as I at the time, and had the same insurance I did which was around $750/month for family of 4, 16 years ago.  Good plan.  He sold firewood on the side and ended up getting his thumb severed in the splitter.  In a panic went to the hospital, surgeon sewed it back on, and weeks later he gets a bill for the whole shebang.  Turns out the doctor or hospital or both, wasn't on the list of coverage through our insurance.  Never thought to check that beforehand, and surly no one there looked at his medical card and told him before treatment that he wasn't covered at their facility.  Last I heard, he was still paying $20/month toward the bill.  :lol:It'll take a while.

That is what I was thinking..it's rare for somebody just to walk away from it 100%

5 minutes ago, hayward said:

i think you'll find less of that these days because it's not really the dr's personal decision anymore. the old days of bartering, setting up little payment plans with the family dr, etc are pretty much over in alot of places. while they likely wouldn't leave you starving, i'd be very surprised if many won't touch assets. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

i think you'll find less of that these days because it's not really the dr's personal decision anymore. the old days of bartering, setting up little payment plans with the family dr, etc are pretty much over in alot of places. while they likely wouldn't leave you starving, i'd be very surprised if many won't touch assets. 

Why do you think that is?  Just rising costs on their end to do business now a days or is there more than that to it?

16 hours ago, Dieselgeek said:

Do either you or Wife/Mom have TOS issues? Seems there is a genetic component that isn’t fully known yet. I have read books on TOS as it has consumed/wrecked my life for years now. 

Never been diagnosed as such and I don't believe either has had nerve problems.   Doesn't the never pinching cause issues in the hand?  Its interesting you say that because the doctors never mentioned anything about that.   I can tell my wife she was to blame.  :lol:  

13 hours ago, hayward said:

Why do you think that is?  Just rising costs on their end to do business now a days or is there more than that to it?

mainly because a lot of doctors have joined networks, combined practices, etc and profit is the main goal. like everything else.

14 hours ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

And the medical profession is even worse...... by a long shot .   Just take a ride around your town , I'm positive that it is just like it is here , Taj Mahal additions on every Hospital in town , no expense spared on anything , Rite Aid , CVS , Walgreens ect on every corner , again , no expense spared on the building or location .   You tell me where the money is going and who's getting filthy rich off of this whole scam called Healthcare .      It's the biggest money making machine since the cellphone and internet and most likely makes a handful of people more than those two gross .   

Obamacare , Trumpcare , whatever , none of that shit is the answer and it's only going to get worse until we grab our balls and tell the machine to fuck off and die , we do that by introducing UHC with STRICT cost and fraud controls .   

:bc: 

as I pointed out in this thread or another one recently,  we now can match up the medical industrial complex with the military industrial complex.  They both have become out of control animals but if you do reel them back what happens as they are a big driver of jobs and growth so the trickle down effects of cutting back will be hard.  

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Never been diagnosed as such and I don't believe either has had nerve problems.   Doesn't the never pinching cause issues in the hand?  Its interesting you say that because the doctors never mentioned anything about that.   I can tell my wife she was to blame.  :lol:  

Nerve issues can be in the head (eyes, ears, headaches) to shoulder, arm, hand. Mine varied based on the day/activity. I blame my TOS on my mom! Hard labor/repetition didn’t help me though!

15 hours ago, Biggie Smails said:

That is what I was thinking..it's rare for somebody just to walk away from it 100%

Agree but its also really rare for someone to die or not be treated because they had no insurance.  

4 hours ago, Highmark said:

Agree but its also really rare for someone to die or not be treated because they had no insurance.  

:lmao: How often do your friends remind you of your ignorance?   People die every fucking minute in the US because they lack health insurance...lacked prevention, early diagnosis, mental health, etc.... holy shit you're a clueless clown 👍

2 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

:lmao: How often do your friends remind you of your ignorance?   People die every fucking minute in the US because they lack health insurance...lacked prevention, early diagnosis, mental health, etc.... holy shit you're a clueless clown 👍

Fuck I hate to do this but I agree. :lol:

Edited by Biggie Smails

1 hour ago, SnowRider said:

525,000+ people die in the US per year because of lack of insurance?    :lmao:Holy fuck you are an idiot. 

13 minutes ago, Highmark said:

525,000+ people die in the US per year because of lack of insurance?    :lmao:Holy fuck you are an idiot. 

Disregard the number and tell me that people don't die because they lack insurance and preventative care.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Highmark said:

2 hours ago, Biggie Smails said:

Disregard the number and tell me that people don't die because they lack insurance and preventative care.

Skidmark?  :snack:

12 hours ago, SnowRider said:

Skidmark?  :snack:

Holy fuck do some of you do anything but sit on this forum.  :lol:  

There are a lot of reasons people die in any country.  Sure there are some from lack of insurance.   A Harvard study says 45K while other studies show 22K.   Yes any is too many but your fooling yourself in thinking that single payer will somehow be a cure all.   The fact that our medical system could get overwhelmed may cause more deaths because people cannot get to the doctor because of waiting periods.   Obama wanted to tax the hell out of Cadillac plans.   Why?   He said people with great HCI are too much a burden on the system because they use it to much.  :lol:   WTF do you think giving 325 million people so called Cadillac plans will do?  It doesn't take a brain surgeon to estimate it actually could dramatically increase the deaths due to people not getting to the doctor in time.   Often doctors catch other significant health factors even when visiting for something else.

Jump on me all you want because you think I'm cold hearted or whatever.   The fact is I look at the overall impact not just the feel good BS that so many of you cannot look past.  

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/09/dying-from-lack-of-insurance/

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/health-care-wait-times-hit-20-weeks-in-2016-report-1.3171718

Look at what is happening in the VA.   Think patients are dying there because of wait times.   I sure do and all of them are "insured."

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/bacchus-barua-/wait-times-canada_b_5505110.html

Same or more women die in Canada yet it has 10% of the population.   Why is it some of you can't look beyond the rhetoric and propaganda?   Not EVERY govt program is good and without consequences.  Honestly most of you are not worthy of debating this topic because of that. 

Canadian Wait Times: While Politicians Dither, Patients Die

06/18/2014 12:36 EDT | Updated 08/18/2014 05:59 EDT

Sadly, their stories are not isolated cases. In a recent study, Nadeem Esmail, Taylor Jackson and I investigated whether the changes (mostly increases) in wait times between 1993 and 2009 had any impact on mortality rates. After controlling for relevant factors (physicians, health expenditures, age, Gross Domestic Product, inequality, and gender), we found that there was, indeed, a statistically significant relationship between wait times and the incidents of female deaths.

Specifically, after crunching the numbers we estimated between 25,456 and 63,090 Canadian women may have died as a result of increased wait times during this period. Large as this number is, it doesn't even begin to quantify the possibility of increased disability and poorer quality of life as a result of protracted wait times.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/bacchus-barua-/wait-times-canada_b_5505110.html

Edited by Highmark

On 10/25/2017 at 7:33 PM, Snoslinger said:

There isn’t one clinic in my area that a doctor has that kind of decision making ability on revenue collection.