Check your account email address ×

cheep chain saws

Ez ryder

so are the cheep stihl like the ms170 worth it or are they just junk with a name ?

I very rare use them

my last saw was a cheep poulan wild thing I had for over 15 yrs . only reason I am shopping is something fell on it and busted the handle.

Just now, Blackstar said:

I've owned 3 of them over the last 20 years. (first 2 were stolen). Great small saw. I never have it serviced. Never let me down.

lol I though about screwing the handle together on the wild thing but it went in the trash this morning . I could not be the guy who spent a hour patching a 5 buck at a garage sale saw back together

4 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

lots of different grades of stihl saws. i’ve got a modified 026. bought it in 1997. new carb and plumbing is the only repair. 

I know my buds have some 700 buck saws . that is not what I want or need . brushing my section 1 day a yr . and cutting a miss branch that falls at the cabin . if anything major I hire it out I have 2 buds in the tree biz . they say buy the 400 buck farm boss . I guess I could but I just don't use them and the fucking thing is heavy

27 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

I know my buds have some 700 buck saws . that is not what I want or need . brushing my section 1 day a yr . and cutting a miss branch that falls at the cabin . if anything major I hire it out I have 2 buds in the tree biz . they say buy the 400 buck farm boss . I guess I could but I just don't use them and the fucking thing is heavy

All companies make THREE LINES of saws. Consumer ( cheapest ),  Occasional user ( better ), Professional ( best ).

Husky and Stihl have an angled top bar, Jonsered has a straight top bar. Go to a dealer and hold them to see what feels best to you. 

All three of those brand's PROFESSIONAL LINE are the best saws in the world basically.  They cost a ton also. 

The consumer line I would not reccomend to anyone. The engines are too small,  and not really a good investment.

The MID LINE( occasional use ) is probably your best bet. Pay more up front, but you will get better service, and longevity. 

What good is a fuckin' $200 saw if it breaks down, or can't handle the bigger stuff? 

How easy is it for your buddies to come over ANYTIME you need a tree cut, as compared to going in the garage and getting your own saw to do the job???? 

My cut-off on saws is nothing BELOW 55CC. You can probably get something close to that in the mid-line. 

I brutalize my saws, and they just ask for more. 

4 minutes ago, polaris550 said:

All companies make THREE LINES of saws. Consumer ( cheapest ),  Occasional user ( better ), Professional ( best ).

Husky and Stihl have an angled top bar, Jonsered has a straight top bar. Go to a dealer and hold them to see what feels best to you. 

All three of those brand's PROFESSIONAL LINE are the best saws in the world basically.  They cost a ton also. 

The consumer line I would not reccomend to anyone. The engines are too small,  and not really a good investment.

The MID LINE( occasional use ) is probably your best bet. Pay more up front, but you will get better service, and longevity. 

What good is a fuckin' $200 saw if it breaks down, or can't handle the bigger stuff? 

How easy is it for your buddies to come over ANYTIME you need a tree cut, as compared to going in the garage and getting your own saw to do the job???? 

My cut-off on saws is nothing BELOW 55CC. You can probably get something close to that in the mid-line. 

I brutalize my saws, and they just ask for more. 

like I said I clear brush on my trail section . the high shit I use one of the club stihl poll saws . as stated above my menerds wild thing that was under 100 over 15 yrs ago was  still on its original chain . I looked at a echo that was around 260 at a hardware store with a 5yr warranty. may go that rout .

I also could use my contractor cash and rebates etc and buy one of the 400ish johnsrude ? at menerds  but don't think I need a 400 buck saw even if it cost me nothing . I don't even have a wood stove or fireplace any more . all have been replaced with remote control gas or propane units lol. fuck that cutting and stacking and hauling shit in to the house crap .there is enough work to do at the cabin and home to add cutting down trees when I have guys who will work for 75% less than I do      

38 minutes ago, polaris550 said:

WTF is this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talking chain saws!!! 

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS!!!!!!!!!!! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM!!! 

P8170167.JPG

that looks like a few weekends that should have been spent on the boat or just relaxing in fr of the big screen making a dent in your couch

3 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

that looks like a few weekends that should have been spent on the boat or just relaxing in fr of the big screen making a dent in your couch

YA' know, I'm really gettin' pissed-off at your CHAIN SAW attitude, Lassie. :ass:

51 minutes ago, polaris550 said:

Talking chain saws!!! 

P8170167.JPG

holy fuck that wood pile looks about 10 years weathered.

• Haha 1

I spend money on tools I use no prob . I have a few tile saws the cheep one was 1200. would I expect or even recommend a home owner who is remodeling his basement bathroom buy that one hell no . go to menards spend 180 and use it for the rest of your life so 8 more times including when you let your buddy use it for a year to remodel his bath

2 minutes ago, snopro31 said:

lol that is nothing I have one at the cabin that was at 1 time birch . now it is not much but bark lol . close to 20 yrs in the making . from about 4 feet tall to less than a foot of decayed mush  

11 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

lol that is nothing I have one at the cabin that was at 1 time birch . now it is not much but bark lol . close to 20 yrs in the making . from about 4 feet tall to less than a foot of decayed mush  

at the cabin i have one pile that is slowly turning to dirt haha. 

i gotta get my shit together at home.  have 80 acres of bush with a ton of good dead fall i could be selling.

32 minutes ago, snopro31 said:

Get bent, that's SEASONED WOOD. Why don't you hang with LASSIE RYDER, he don't know shit about saws 'n wood either? :tool:

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, polaris550 said:

Talking chain saws!!! 

P8170167.JPG

Yeah, a fucking moron with a bunch of shitty Saws...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

Farm Boss is a great saw.  I have and it's awesome. Very versatile, from light duty work to heavy duty cutting 

Check out the Stihl site and read some specs and reviews 

https://m.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/

1 hour ago, Rigid1 said:

Yeah, a fucking moron with a bunch of shitty Saws...

Are you HIGHMARKETRIDER? Tell the fuckin' truth, are you? 

I think you are that faggot. I'd like to beat the shit out of you. 

You little fuckin' dweeb. :finger2:

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, polaris550 said:

Are you HIGHMARKETRIDER? Tell the fuckin' truth, are you? 

I think you are that faggot. I'd like to beat the shit out of you. 

You little fuckin' dweeb. :finger2:

Well I'm in cny, so that would only require what?? Maybe 3 naps for you to get here?? Plus think of all the fun you could have at the truck stops on the way..

Hey, elaborate some more on your curved bar theory :stoned:

• Haha 1

almost all consumer saws are a clamshell design . that means it has a plastic crankcase screwed to a plastic framework. and it works fine. up to a point. if its something you are not going to use much look at a battery operated saw. if you like nice tools then buy a pro saw. way better built. and stihl is the first choice. husky can be ok and some of there saws are very good. j red is a 2 year left over husky sold at the big box stores. dont buy any saw at a box store

6 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

go look at a 241     261 bolth lite pro saws as good as they come. the last 261 i bought was $500