Check your account email address ×

High school football in trouble ?

• Platinum Contributing Member

11 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Glad I don't have boys after all this CTE stuff coming out. 

Football has never been safer, more wussification of America. The NCAA just passed a new rule, no more 2 a day practices.

Edited by snoughnut

Just now, snoughnut said:

Football has never been safer, more wussification of America.

Our coach does tackle drills with the helmet off so the kids learn how to tackle properly. I have seen some small teams but our varsity team is huge this year. 

1 minute ago, motonoggin said:

Remember that when your son gets his bell rung and forgets how to swallow food.

Whatever tinkerbell. He's been playing for 13 years now, hasn't had a concussion yet and still loves the game.

Just now, snoughnut said:

Whatever tinkerbell. He's been playing for 13 years now, hasn't had a concussion yet and still loves the game.

CTE isn't concussion related, it's from the repeated sub concussive hits. That's why soccer used to have even more of it from all the heading. 

Ironically when I got certified by USA Football to coach I learned enough to know it's not worth it. 

1 minute ago, bussman said:

CTE isn't concussion related, it's from the repeated sub concussive hits. That's why soccer used to have even more of it from all the heading. 

Ironically when I got certified by USA Football to coach I learned enough to know it's not worth it. 

The concussive hits certainly add to it and most of the CTE cases are from players who played years ago well before the current protocols. I guess we'll see what the future holds.

13 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Our coach does tackle drills with the helmet off so the kids learn how to tackle properly. I have seen some small teams but our varsity team is huge this year. 

We have right around 80 kids on our varsity squad.

1 minute ago, snoughnut said:

The concussive hits certainly add to it and most of the CTE cases are from players who played years ago well before the current protocols. I guess we'll see what the future holds.

I believe it's a certain protein that's released or trapped in the brain from repeated light hits which is the primary cause of CTE.  

Another thing that stood out in the training was how the younger the brain the MORE damage caused. The older we get the less susceptible we are.  

22 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Remember that when your son gets his bell rung and forgets how to swallow food.

You play FB in HS?   

3 hours ago, bussman said:

I believe it's a certain protein that's released or trapped in the brain from repeated light hits which is the primary cause of CTE.  

Another thing that stood out in the training was how the younger the brain the MORE damage caused. The older we get the less susceptible we are.  

Buss you must have CTE, it's the only explanation as to why you're a Bears fan. :lol::bc:

Exactly and thanks for posting....too many people with Chads attitude.

Our high school barely has enough. Thankfully my sophomore son says this is his last year playing (it's not fun anymore) and he's playing golf the next two fall seasons. 

Injuries are not the only cause of low numbers in some HS sports.