Check your account email address ×

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

I hate driving more then a hour to get a new/newer one.  

However, I'll road trip it 3 hours one way to pick up some old rusty non-running pile of shit from under a pine tree for $20.

pretty sure i hold the record for the longest journey to pick up a snowmobile. my farthest i drove for a sled was just a shade shy of 6000 miles to get a 2002 800 mountain cat 144 I  got a smoking deal on from black magic.  Fucking great time that was!!!  Would give anything to go back in time and do it all over again.

• Platinum Contributing Member

So he hasn't disconnected the hot start or done anything with jetting but says it  runs great from -10 to 40 above. Dootalk says run 300 mains and disconnect hotstart which retards timing....hmmmmm. Another text....not sure what jetting it has as he has never torn into the carbs only cleaned them.:dunno:

Edited by Biggie Smails

14 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

So he hasn't disconnected the hot start or done anything with jetting but says it  runs great from -10 to 40 above. Dootalk says run 300 mains and disconnect hotstart which retards timing....hmmmmm. Another text....not sure what jetting it has as he has never torn into the carbs only cleaned them.:dunno:

Don't need to change jetting if it works for you.  Gonna be 91 octane premix.  And hot start doesn't necessarily need to be disconnected.  Just don't hit it at 7000 rpm. :lol: I think on the doo it's the purple wire going into the ECM.  

21 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

Everyone has their own idea of "trail converted."  Some of the Cat guys, it just means they turned the timing back to -3 and threw in some pig rich jetting.

4 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Don't need to change jetting if it works for you.  Gonna be 91 octane premix.  And hot start doesn't necessarily need to be disconnected.  Just don't hit it at 7000 rpm. :lol: I think on the doo it's the purple wire going into the ECM.  

Hot start = reed killer

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

Everyone has their own idea of "trail converted."  Some of the Cat guys, it just means they turned the timing back to -3 and threw in some pig rich jetting.

Hot start = reed killer

Aahhh OK....this makes feel better about the whole thing and for all I know the previous, previous owner threw some 300 mains in it which is why it works so well for this guy. I had also read/heard that disconnecting the hot start retards the timing which makes it pump gas safe...I'm an idiot and could be wrong.

7 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

Aahhh OK....this makes feel better about the whole thing and for all I know the previous, previous owner threw some 300 mains in it which is why it works so well for this guy. I had also read/heard that disconnecting the hot start retards the timing which makes it pump gas safe...I'm an idiot and could be wrong.

I don't know if Doo puts Tom Lawrence's phone number online anywhere, but that would be the guy to get ahold of point you in the right direction.

Could also try calling one of the big teams like Warnet Racing too.  

Edited by racinfarmer
  • Like 1

Just now, racinfarmer said:

I don't know if Doo puts Tom Lawrence's phone number online anywhere, but that would be the guy to get ahold of point you in the right direction.  

Dootalk is full of knowledgeable cats....other than what I mentioned adding some idler wheels in the skid should be it.

1 minute ago, Biggie Smails said:

Dootalk is full of knowledgeable cats....other than what I mentioned adding some idler wheels in the skid should be it.

From what I remember from the mid-2000's racers, the Doo's were the easiest to ditch/trail ride.  I'd probably go with what the DT guys recommend, if you get the sled.  

• Like 1

My neighbor has a Doo RS and has said that it's fine as long as he only rides it around 100 miles a day. Any more than that and he would rather be on his dads Renegade. Keep in mind this is coming from someone that's in his mid 20's.

Just now, ckf said:

My neighbor has a Doo RS and has said that it's fine as long as he only rides it around 100 miles a day. Any more than that and he would rather be on his dads Renegade. Keep in mind this is coming from someone that's in his mid 20's.

Interesting....hmmmmm.

Just now, Biggie Smails said:

Interesting....hmmmmm.

From what he's told me it's a pretty harsh ride. It's great for hammering though the rough stuff, but not an all day cruiser. 

3 minutes ago, ckf said:

From what he's told me it's a pretty harsh ride. It's great for hammering though the rough stuff, but not an all day cruiser. 

None of the racers are, even the XC sleds.  Heck, I don't think the RR's or the XRS's or the like are good all day cruisers.  

5 minutes ago, ckf said:

None of the racers are, even the XC sleds.  Heck, I don't think the RR's or the XRS's or the like are good all day cruisers.  

I'm guessing that some of that harshness can be valved out of the shocks.

I'm guessing that some of that harshness can be valved out of the shocks.

Absolutely, but then it kind of defeats the purpose of having a sled with super expensive shocks on it, IMO.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just saying.  If I'm beating down the ditch like I felt like I did at 18, hell yeah I want a racer.  Trail riding with my wife or parents, fuck, give me a LXR.

Absolutely, but then it kind of defeats the purpose of having a sled with super expensive shocks on it, IMO.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just saying.  If I'm beating down the ditch like I felt like I did at 18, hell yeah I want a racer.  Trail riding with my wife or parents, fuck, give me a LXR.

No I get that and I'm not talking about turning them into mush rather just taking the race edge off of them.

No I get that and I'm not talking about turning them into mush rather just taking the race edge off of them.

See, I think like the Sno Pro 500 setup from the box was pretty good for some quick choppy curvy trail riding.  I'd imagine the XRS is the same way.  I'd probably get that RS re=valved to some form of XC specs.  Someone like Carver could probably do that for you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, racinfarmer said:

See, I think like the Sno Pro 500 setup from the box was pretty good for some quick choppy curvy trail riding.  I'd imagine the XRS is the same way.  I'd probably get that RS re=valved to some form of XC specs.  Someone like Carver could probably do that for you.

How about Ian at Monster Performance?

1 minute ago, ckf said:

It's not just the shocks from what my neighbor has told me, the seat is the most comfortable either :dunno:

Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine!:stop:

Edited by Biggie Smails

Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine!:stop:

Dude, I'm all for you getting a new ride, I'm just letting you make an informed decision, for once :lol:

41 minutes ago, ckf said:

Dude, I'm all for you getting a new ride, I'm just letting you make an informed decision, for once :lol:

41 minutes ago, ckf said:

If I had any shocks that needed work I would send them to @AKIQPilot :bc:

I appreciate that as this would be my first informed decision ever and yeah Tom would be a good one for a revalve. :bc:

• Like 1