Check your account email address ×

Toyota’s hydrogen dream crumbling

• Gold Member

cars freezing to pumps if they even work at all.  

https://insideevs.com/news/708375/toyota-mirai-hydrogen-stations-close/amp/

Things haven't worked out that way. As early adopters found out, the Mirai wasn't the ideal future that so many wanted it to be. In fact, the crumbling infrastructure and depreciationhave some owners calling on Toyota for a buyback—and even filing lawsuits over their experience. Today, many of them are furious, feeling deceived over buying a car they felt had immense potential but never got the fueling infrastructure necessary to back it up. 

"There [is] no longer any hydrogen fuel available in San Francisco where I live. Toyota continues to sell this vehicle. How is this acceptable?" said Shawn Hall, one of several Mirai owners who spoke to InsideEVs. "Besides the South San Francisco station, the next closest stations are 40 miles one way to Sunnyvale, or 15 miles [across either the Golden Gate or Bay Bridges, which means] paying a bridge toll of $8.75 or $7 in addition to traffic, time, and wasted fuel. And even though the online map or Fuel app within the Mirai console says there is available fuel, there's no guarantee that is true."

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, $poorsledder$ said:

So hydrogen powered vehicles are are almost or just as bad as EV's when it comes to a fuel source?

What do you mean?  Electricity is pretty abundant in the US.  Everybody that has a electricity has an electricity pump right where they live.

Company I work for tried switching an asphalt plant from diesel fired heat to hydrogen. Heating asphalt takes a massive amount of heat. They went through tens of thousands of gallons of diesel a day

There was a hydrogen filling station 30 miles away, so they bought a trailer to bring it in.

The problem was the heat generated in compressing the hydrogen to a liquid. When it reverts to a gas it demands the heat it lost in the change of state.

When the demand came for the hydrogen, the decanter they had to decompress the hydrogen was quickly overwhelmed, even in the summer heat. They really needed a decanter that could effectively reheat the hydrogen. 

Toyota is not a stupid company. They will figure it out.

Perhaps they use the energy generated by wind and solar to heat the hydrogen, maybe use the already decompressed hydrogen to heat the incoming supply.

A visual representation of this can be seen in the space shuttle boosters on the Columbia.

Anyone who owns an air compressor can see how this happens. If the air gets compressed and used immediately, it’s hot

Use that air tomorrow and it’s cold.

Trust the science!!

Edited by Voodoo

• USA Contributing Member
27 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

What do you mean?  Electricity is pretty abundant in the US.  Everybody that has a electricity has an electricity pump right where they live.

When it comes down to running my AC at night in July/August or plugging in my car that takes hours to charge I'll choose to sleep comfortably.  The power grid is only supporting it right now because the majority still choose to stop at a gas station and fill up in under 5 minutes.

They get hydrogen refueling figured out and it'll be about the same time frame.  Just long enough to run in and get a pack of cigs and 6 pack for the ride home.

You sound like you have a lot invested in EV's... good luck. 

• Gold Member
31 minutes ago, $poorsledder$ said:

When it comes down to running my AC at night in July/August or plugging in my car that takes hours to charge I'll choose to sleep comfortably.  The power grid is only supporting it right now because the majority still choose to stop at a gas station and fill up in under 5 minutes.

They get hydrogen refueling figured out and it'll be about the same time frame.  Just long enough to run in and get a pack of cigs and 6 pack for the ride home.

You sound like you have a lot invested in EV's... good luck. 

I don’t have any issue running an AC and charging 2 vehicles at night in the high desert of the west.  But I have a 200 amp service so I’m good for 160 amps continuous load.  

• Gold Member

The Hydrogen Fuel Cell Partnership reported that companies sold only 223 new Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles (FCVs) during the first quarter of this year. This represents the slowest first quarter since 2016 and the second consecutive quarter of this kind, with a 70% drop compared to the same period last year. The Hydrogen Fuel Cell Partnership’s FCV sales data is obtained from Baum and Associates and based on sales to both fleet and retail clients.

Only two FCV models are currently available: the Toyota Mirai and the Hyundai Nexo. The Toyota Mirai is the most popular of the two, with 172 sales in Q1, a 74% decrease from the previous year. The Hyundai Nexo sold 51 units in Q1 of this year, a 22% drop year over year.

https://www.cbtnews.com/hydrogen-fuel-cell-car-sales-plummet-amidst-stiff-competition-from-evs/#