Check your account email address ×

$34.5T in debt... so cut taxes?

taxes  

7 members have voted

1. 1. with $34.5T in current debt, I believe taxes should be...

• Cut
    • Raised
    • Maintained at the current rates
  2. 2. We need a balanced budget amendment now more than ever?

• Agree
    • Disagree

Just now, Carlos Danger said:

Cut taxes,cut spending and use the surplus to buy down the debt. Everyone knows the fix they just don't want to do it.

yes... and why not? 

they've been conveniently ignoring it for three decades, it's an election year and there's crickets chirping.

these 'people' aren't interested in solving problems 

39 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

yes... and why not? 

they've been conveniently ignoring it for three decades, it's an election year and there's crickets chirping.

Because the politicians use the money to buy votes.

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
51 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

yes... and why not? 

Solve problems, ya fucking kidding me right?

Most of these people are lawyers.  Do you know the most important thing in a law office?

Billable hours, these are not people who want to Solve a  problem. They want to drag them out for every dollar they can. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

what if increased taxation was specifically earmarked towards the debt... if it came with a balanced budget amendment? 

:lmao:   I'll give you one thing....you got about as much false hope in govt as Noggin use to when he said people would evolve into communists.  

31 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Solve problems, ya fucking kidding me right?

Most of these people are lawyers.  Do you know the most important thing in a law office?

Billable hours, these are not people who want to Solve a  problem. They want to drag them out for every dollar they can. 

Screenshot_20221117-155056.png.d0c38c77f587c6e5c49a1e3517323114.png

even this one? 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

yes... and why not? 

You do understand the Laffer curve correct?  Its virtually impossible for govt or any of its analysis groups to pinpoint where the point of negative returns so to speak comes from taxes.  The kind of tax increases without absolute massive spending cuts needed to make an impact would likely cause more harm than good.   

Edited by Highmark

14 minutes ago, Highmark said:

You do understand the Laffer curve correct?  Its virtually impossible for govt or any of its analysis groups to pinpoint where the point of negative returns so to speak comes from taxes.  The kind of tax increases without absolute massive spending cuts needed to make an impact would likely cause more harm than good.   

is it because we've allowed an economy to be constructed based around government spending? 

;)

2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

what if increased taxation was specifically earmarked towards the debt... if it came with a balanced budget amendment? 

:lol:

Hook, line, sinker.

2 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

is it because we've allowed an economy to be constructed based around government spending? 

;)

Its a large part of it.   Cut spending and taxes.  Govt spending does not lead to long term economic growth.   If it did then every govt in the world could spend their way to higher GDP than spending itself caused.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Its a large part of it.   Cut spending and taxes.  Govt spending does not lead to long term economic growth.   If it did then every govt in the world could spend their way to higher GDP than spending itself caused.  

if the government stopped spending... Great Depression 2.0

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

Can't stop but can be cut and over time it can be reigned in.   Nobody in their right mind doesn't think there would be some short term pain with austerity.  

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Can't stop but can be cut and over time it can be reigned in.   Nobody in their right mind doesn't think there would be some short term pain with austerity.  

I'm in favor of it... you likely are as well.  The rest of the country, not so much.  We're addicted to our own money.

11 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

;)

That all started with the federal reserve.

Who benefits from that?

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

I'm in favor of it... you likely are as well.  The rest of the country, not so much.  We're addicted to our own money.

I'm not in favor of increased revenue thru taxes.   Govt loves budgets that go out a decade.   Should be no problem cutting spending by 25% over the next 10 years.   Some pain yes but it has to be done. 

5 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

That all started with the federal reserve.

Who benefits from that?

Wall St., we've been over this 

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I'm not in favor of increased revenue thru taxes.   Govt loves budgets that go out a decade.   Should be no problem cutting spending by 25% over the next 10 years.   Some pain yes but it has to be done. 

it wouldn't be enough

boomers avoided paying appropriately for three decades and the 'uni-party' was complacent.  

10 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Wall St., we've been over this 

it wouldn't be enough

boomers avoided paying appropriately for three decades and the 'uni-party' was complacent.  

Which Boomers?  You don't fall into the "fair share" crowd do you?  :lol:  

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Fact is federal state and local govt collected around $9.5 trillion in taxes last year (est to be $10.4 trillion in 2024).  That's almost $29K per person. 

Considering a significant portion of the population is under say 17 and pays in very little and around 50% of the population pays no federal income taxes and in fact gets money back for the EICC somebody is paying govt a fuck ton of money.  Just highlights where the problem is.....spending. 

Note about 74 million are under 18.   That means in 2024 we will collect almost $40,650 per person for the remaining 257 million people.  It boggles the mind.  That is far more than enough to make govt fulfill its responsibilities. 

Edited by Highmark

34 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Fact is federal state and local govt collected around $9.5 trillion in taxes last year (est to be $10.4 trillion in 2024).  That's almost $29K per person. 

Considering a significant portion of the population is under say 17 and pays in very little and around 50% of the population pays no federal income taxes and in fact gets money back for the EICC somebody is paying govt a fuck ton of money.  Just highlights where the problem is.....spending. 

Note about 74 million are under 18.   That means in 2024 we will collect almost $40,650 per person for the remaining 257 million people.  It boggles the mind.  That is far more than enough to make govt fulfill its responsibilities. 

maybe we need to increase taxes upon those who benefit the most... the rich and the poor?  the middle class benefits the least near as I can tell.  make it 'fair'?  

2 hours ago, Highmark said:

They are giving it a try in south America. Hell that bushy haired freak ballenced their budget in a month.

The vast majority of tax is paid by those that are working and consuming.

The Canadian dream. Work hard, make sacrifices, buy a house, make yours and your families life better.

The taxes all around have made that dream a fool’s gambit.

We let a million people a year in, with no thought of where they will live and how they will contribute.

We built 220,000 homes in our best year. An empty lot in my area is now 150k, and the cost to build is $300 a square foot. The math no longer works and building has basically stopped.

The demand side of housing has so far and away eclipsed the supply side this will take take decades to correct…and government is powerless to do anything about it, despite their rhetoric.

We are now so indebted, the price of housing, food and essentials, mean working hard only means you die broke and tired.

What happened to governments spending within their means?

Governments have dug a hole so deep it seems impossible to fill, yet they keep digging.

A few weeks ago I put forward a proposal to my county to sever off 18ish acres.

I made it clear I will cut out whatever makes the most sense to build as many homes as possible. It’s an ideal location. The electrical service is there, natural gas, ideal conditions for septic, water and roads. right beside a county road, and there is already a subdivision bordering it.

12 acres to someone who can develop it, 6 acres on my other side of the property for me to develop for my in-laws, nieces and nephews. It may be their best hope to ever own a home.

A half acre lot on the county rd is selling for $150k. I’m willing to sever at $50k per and eat the land for the road allowance, a park and storm water management. These lots will be secluded from the main road, peaceful and far more  desirable. 

And it’s already zoned as future residential……

I am still waiting for them to respond….we will see if government is the problem…..

Edited by Voodoo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

maybe we need to increase taxes upon those who benefit the most... the rich and the poor?  the middle class benefits the least near as I can tell.  make it 'fair'?  

Dude the vast majority of the wealthy pay a huge % of the taxes.   I'm all for the MC and supporting them but they simply aren't carrying the income tax burden in this country.

Mark Twain used to say when hammer is what you have your problems start to look like nails. Washington has this problem as well. No matter what the problem they just throw money at it.  The border bill is the best example of this the border was more secure with the current level of funding but now that they have acknowledged a problem the only solution they can come up with is more money. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Oh look, they hooked you good.  Start cutting foreign spending.  Until then, cut taxes as fast as you can

Edited by racer254

2 hours ago, Highmark said:

Dude the vast majority of the wealthy pay a huge % of the taxes.   I'm all for the MC and supporting them but they simply aren't carrying the income tax burden in this country.

yeah... and the 1% own what percentage of the wealth?  

I don't disparage that... but $ buys politicians and influence

at what point is enough enough?  :dunno: 

1 hour ago, Carlos Danger said:

Mark Twain used to say when hammer is what you have your problems start to look like nails. Washington has this problem as well. No matter what the problem they just throw money at it.  The border bill is the best example of this the border was more secure with the current level of funding but now that they have acknowledged a problem the only solution they can come up with is more money. 

Twain said many profound things, he'd likely mock modern politics in a manner many would not appreciate.  

allow me to ask... when Trump said Mexico would pay for a 'wall'.... what was your reaction.  I laughed my ass off, but know people that actually believed it.   the biggest problem as I see things as the American public is largely ignorant of reality and how things work... and something as a whole Twain would subtly mock. 

1 hour ago, racer254 said:

Oh look, they hooked you good.  Start cutting foreign spending.  Until then, cut taxes as fast as you can

oh look who finished his shift at the chicken processing plant before starting his next job at hormel chili and felt the need to chime in.   same guy who once said... 

Screenshot_20230511-145943.thumb.png.fb9ef6eba5e246bc520871ce72a0785a.png

does it suck that I have that saved?  :ashamed: