Check your account email address ×

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions - Part Minnesota

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/local/breaking-the-news/federal-judge-orders-fleet-farm-to-turn-over-gun-sale-records/89-a9edfe7d-3a52-41b6-a749-b763f7c42bdb

It isn't Fleet Farm's job to judge who buys, how often, or what their intent is.  They are not the judge, the jury, and the executioner when it comes to gun laws and gun sales.

Can't get your laws passed and follow the constitution, harass businesses and people into compliance instead.

Federal judge orders Fleet Farm to turn over gun sale records in MN Attorney General lawsuit
The state will receive logs showing anyone who bought four or more handguns within two weeks as evidence of possible straw purchases.

Author: Lou Raguse
Published: 5:58 PM CDT March 12, 2024
Updated: 6:37 PM CDT March 12, 2024
Facebook
ST PAUL, Minn. — Two people were convicted of murder for the October 2021 shootout at the Truck Park Bar in St. Paul that killed one woman, Marquisha Wiley, and wounded four others.

But a third man, Jerome Horton, was convicted in federal court for buying one of the guns used in that shooting — what's known as a straw purchase where someone buys a gun on behalf of someone else who legally cannot do so.

Horton bought 24 guns from Fleet Farm over a four-month period.

Separate from the Truck Park case, Sarah Elwood was convicted of straw gun purchases. She bought 13 guns from Fleet Farm over the course of a year. She bought multiple handguns on four different occasions.

"It really came to our attention that they negligently selling firearms," said Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison, who used that information to sue Fleet Farm.

"Fleet Farm, we believe and we can prove, they sold 37 guns within a matter of a few months to two straw purchasers. To me, that's not being careful enough. They shouldn't have done it. I think they have a moral responsibility and I am going to prove they have legal responsibility as well," Ellison said.

As part of the discovery process in the legal case, Fleet Farm is required to turn over certain information to the plaintiff — which is the State of Minnesota. 

In a hearing Tuesday, Judge John Docherty ordered Fleet Farm to provide the state with logs that show information about anyone who bought four or more handguns within a 14-day period to examine purchasing patterns.

The state had asked for more extensive sales records, but the judge and Fleet Farm expressed concern over the state having the ability to create a database of gun buyers.

"No, there's no plans to build some database," Ellison responded in an interview. "We're trying to protect people's lives. and we're going to use the discovery we got within the law, within the parameters set by the court and responsibly. Which is more than I can say for the conduct of some retailers."

Ellison updated the lawsuit to allege Fleet Farm also violated the state's gun control law — by allegedly transferring firearms to straw purchasers Fleet Farm knew or had reason to know were buying firearms for others.

With the ruling, the state will be able to take a closer look at the gun sale logs to see if there were any other straw buyers at Fleet Farm that have been missed. Then the lawsuit can proceed from there.

How about prosecute the he'll out of those that make straw purchases!!

Maybe make those trying or doing it think about it for a second!!

they will get guns one way or another!!

• Gold Member

Similar to what Wally Mart and Bass Pro went thru around here. 

So the feds cant do there job , so they just blame the retailer ...unreal. 

This is about attacking every single aspect of gun ownership.

Attack the manufacturer

Attack the retailer

Attack the owner 

Legislate against every aspect of ownership

Attack the ammunition at every level rendering the ownership too expensive. 

You cannot concede one single inch to these fascist fucking pieces of filth. They are traitorous human garbage and should be treated as hostile enemies at the gate. I’d support anyone who thinks like this being killed violently. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

No shit. No red flags on the federal level when someone has 20 plus background checks from gun purchases in a short time?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, X2700 said:

How about prosecute the he'll out of those that make straw purchases!!

Maybe make those trying or doing it think about it for a second!!

they will get guns one way or another!!

3D printing

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 hours ago, EvilBird said:

Fuck bass pro. NH does handgun background checks thru the state ploice. Bass pro does them thru the feds . Im all set thank you

• Like 2

The investigation should be on a case by case bases. If one person is suspected of straw purchases then investigate that individual. I don’t have a problem if there’s an obscene number of guns purchased by one person. It’s completely understandable to investigate. There’s no other way to stop production line straw purchasing. 

• Gold Member
5 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Fuck bass pro. NH does handgun background checks thru the state ploice. Bass pro does them thru the feds . Im all set thank you

Im fucked regardless in CT . Goin thru it now with new laws , what a joke.:suicide:

1 hour ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

The investigation should be on a case by case bases. If one person is suspected of straw purchases then investigate that individual. I don’t have a problem if there’s an obscene number of guns purchased by one person. It’s completely understandable to investigate. There’s no other way to stop production line straw purchasing. 

If the individual passes the background check the retailer should sell them the gun. No ifs ands or buts. This is the government probing any avenue they can to limit the 2A. Ellison needs to die painfully 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

If the individual passes the background check the retailer should sell them the gun. No ifs ands or buts. This is the government probing any avenue they can to limit the 2A. Ellison needs to die painfully 

Getting a handle on straw purchasing is the best method at slowing the flow of guns and gun violence in the inner city. It doesn’t affect rural or suburbanites. Almost all mass shootings are done with legal guns. But mass shootings are rare and only contribute minutely to overall gun violence. So yeah, I’m in favor of people answering when they buy 10, 20 or ,30  firearms in a brief period. That could be monitored with permits. 

20 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Getting a handle on straw purchasing is the best method at slowing the flow of guns and gun violence in the inner city. It doesn’t affect rural or suburbanites. Almost all mass shootings are done with legal guns. But mass shootings are rare and only contribute minutely to overall gun violence. So yeah, I’m in favor of people answering when they buy 10, 20 or ,30  firearms in a brief period. That could be monitored with permits. 

The atf can already do that. They can show up at your residence and ask you to provide the guns. Why do we need to compel a retailer to provide that info on the state level? 

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

The atf can already do that. They can show up at your residence and ask you to provide the guns. Why do we need to compel a retailer to provide that info on the state level? 

I don’t agree with the retailer aspect. The ATF sure has the time to harass legal gun owners over stupid trigger “violations”. Why can’t they concentrate efforts on possible straw purchasers. I think it’s laziness. 

2 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I don’t agree with the retailer aspect. The ATF sure has the time to harass legal gun owners over stupid trigger “violations”. Why can’t they concentrate efforts on possible straw purchasers. I think it’s laziness. 

It’s intentional , they need these issues to exist so they can potentially garner public sympathy to legislate against us. They don’t care about actually preventing crime , they need the crime like a hammer needs a nail 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

It’s intentional , they need these issues to exist so they can potentially garner public sympathy to legislate against us. They don’t care about actually preventing crime , they need the crime like a hammer needs a nail 

I find most weird stuff that occurs in government that gets assigned to conspiratorial or persecution is more out of laziness. Taking down a straw purchaser requires investigation and work. Going after illegal triggers is easy and usually doesn’t result in an arrest. 

5 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I find most weird stuff that occurs in government that gets assigned to conspiratorial or persecution is more out of laziness. Taking down a straw purchaser requires investigation and work. Going after illegal triggers is easy and usually doesn’t result in an arrest. 

I think there is more to it then that 

5 hours ago, f7ben said:

Maybe some women can beat on him, for a change.

• Like 1