Check your account email address ×

Buddy bought a new vr1 boost

Likes it but he’s not very impressed that it only beats his old NA 850 buy about a length lol

Colour me shocked that about 4% more power hardly shows up 

3 minutes ago, Rod said:

Likes it but he’s not very impressed that it only beats his old NA 850 buy about a length lol

Is it out of break in yet??

1 minute ago, HSR said:

Is it out of break in yet??

People talk about out of break in like it instantly doubles the hp it’s neat lol

Just now, Rod said:

People talk about out of break in like it instantly doubles the hp it’s neat lol

My son said it made a noticeable difference.

My buddy with an 850 vr1 said he gets waxed by the boost. Did you try tuning the boost??

Just now, HSR said:

My son said it made a noticeable difference.

My buddy with an 850 vr1 said he gets waxed by the boost. Did you try tuning the boost??

Man we’re lucky to even ride. Season is shot already 

Just now, Rod said:

Man we’re lucky to even ride. Season is shot already 

I likely won't be trail riding here unless something drastic happens.

1 minute ago, HSR said:

I likely won't be trail riding here unless something drastic happens.

I did about 200 k on the weekend 

we’re about the only place in the prairies to ride again so every nurd within 4-5 hours was up there again last weekend and absolutely destroyed what snow we had. Now it’s melting 

According to my buddy the boost only put a small gap on the vr1 from a dig as he felt the boost had a hard time hooking up but as they kept accelerating to top end the gape just gets bigger and bigger. 

2 minutes ago, HSR said:

According to my buddy the boost only put a small gap on the vr1 from a dig as he felt the boost had a hard time hooking up but as they kept accelerating to top end the gape just gets bigger and bigger. 

I’d think so. This boost has traction though. For the money he certainly wasn’t impressed 

I bet competition doo 850 is even slower 

only thing good about the competition 850 is it’s looking like you can get over 240 hp on pump gas with a tune cause of the meth. But you’ll probably empty the meth bottle in like 30 seconds lol

5 minutes ago, Rod said:

I’d think so. This boost has traction though. For the money he certainly wasn’t impressed 

only thing good about the competition 850 is it’s looking like you can get over 240 hp on pump gas with a tune cause of the meth. But you’ll probably empty the meth bottle in like 30 seconds lol

Fun costs money.

17 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

my polaris sleds usually don't come to life till 500 miles. break in holds back rpm , and that's where the power is on a polaris twin

So that is kinda like after the first engine re-build ? LOL

• Platinum Contributing Member
53 minutes ago, Rod said:

They definitely wake up when out of break in.   We have 2 boosts in our group and many, many NA 850's and once broken in its almost like the NA's are standing still when racing.  Put a 20 tune in and its worse however the 20 tune still gets its ass handed to it with boosted 998's.  

I will admit my first few rides on the boost didn't live up to initial expectations. 

Edited by Highmark

8 minutes ago, Highmark said:

They definitely wake up when out of break in.   We have 2 boosts in our group and many, many NA 850's and once broken in its almost like the NA's are standing still when racing.  Put a 20 tune in and its worse however the 20 tune still gets its ass handed to it with boosted 998's.  

Nothing is going to beat a 998 in that regard 

I haven’t seent a single turbo 2 stroke here that was impressive 

thousands of dollars, all that weight and complexity. For like 8 more hp. Honestly no thanks. Just build a bigger NA engine for us trail nurds 

• Like 1

Last year, we had two Boosts in our riding group ... a VR1 (129") and an Assault.  We also had my '22 XCR 850 and another buddy's '23 XCR 850.  The Assault kicked everyone's ass, and the VR1 would easily walk the two XCR's after 75mph.  The boost doesn't do much to provide an advantage from a dig, but it definitely shows up the further the WOT run goes.  That's been our experience anyway.  We were hoping to get a chance to test it out again this year, since the buddy with the Assault got rid of his '23 and replaced it with a '24, and I've now got the '23 VR1 (137") and the other buddy now has a '24 XCR.  But Mother Nature hasn't allowed us to do any racing thus far this season.  

9 minutes ago, Rod said:

thousands of dollars, all that weight and complexity. For like 8 more hp. Honestly no thanks. Just build a bigger NA engine for us trail nurds 

You haven't been around good ones and I'm coming from actual seat experience.  They are an absolute blast.  Don't get me wrong I love my boosted winder but the Assault Boost is a beast as well. 

Stock not out of break in I was dead even with boosted Doo 900's.   20 tune and I destroy them. 

Last year at the weenie roast in cable a guy was absolutely shitting on everything with a race gas tune Assault boost.  

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:. 

Stock not out of break in I was dead even with boosted Doo 900's.   20 tune and I destroy them.  

That’s… not impressive. That’s embarrassing lol

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rod said:

Depends where you are talking,,, in the mountains a boosted 2 stroke RULES. Backcountry,,, 2 stroke. Groomed trials,lakes,,,4 stroke.

Just now, HSR said:

Depends where you are talking,,, in the mountains a boosted 2 stroke RULES. Backcountry,,, 2 stroke. Groomed trials,lakes,,,4 stroke.

Our trails I’ll still take the 2 stroke. The 4 stroke is definitely less fun on the trails 

44 minutes ago, Rod said:

Other than bragging rights at the end of the lake or burger joint drag racing is such a small part of the riding experience, for most other than you and a few other old tripple die hard's.

Interesting comparison on turbo-trail sleds last week on SnowTrax.

All of my sleds with a break-in procedure have woken up after 500 miles or so, sure the Polaris will be the same

3 minutes ago, Rod said:

That’s… not impressive. That’s embarrassing lol

The right set up Doo 900's run pretty damn well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

The right set up Doo 900's run pretty damn well. 

No they don’t lol 

They lay down harder than kamala Harris when she wants a promotion 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Rod said:

No they don’t lol 

They lay down harder than kamala Harris when she wants a promotion 

They do in shorter races.   Again.....correctly set up ones.