Check your account email address ×

This is why I’m not paying my student loans

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

Couldn't disagree more.  I was the valedictorian of my high school class but learned more about how to learn in college than in the previous 12 years.  WAY more.  I did attend a top 3 ranked school though as well which may have influenced what I learned.

You don’t agree because you lack a solid understanding of basic neurological development. 85 percent of human learning is completed by age 5. The speed of this learning process goes unmatched for the rest of a person’s life and continues to slow as the years tick by. 2 year olds have twice as many brain synapses as adults. 

Higher education is typically a time when there’s more of a hunger for information. This results in a more open mind. Mainly because the individual is following a path that’s more of a voluntary nature while studying subjects that are of an elevated interest. 

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

great example... every foreign exchange student we've hosted in our home is vastly ahead of the majority of kids in our daughters school.  not all, but definitely most.   

it's also high time we ended 'summers off' in the k-12 system.  have four quarters with shorter breaks in between.  most kids need constant 'learning'.  when some friends from California were living there their children were in kindergarten, when they moved back to the state (Hudson area) the teachers there were amazed at how far advanced the kids were.  

the days of school children working the family farm are over... and American children aren't benefitting from having the summer off... unlike the teachers.  

the Chinese student we hosted back in 2018 was brilliant... but they take education far more serious there.  

What are your pronouns and what gender do you identify as?

That is your problem in a nutshell.

27 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Learning how to think, or “critical thinking skills“ It’s an ongoing process, particularly as kids grow older, and the issues become more complex. Take media bias for example. I don’t expect a K through 12 student to understand how to sift through media bias this day and age. As I get into college and beyond, hopefully they figure it out.

What you describe has more to due with a person becoming less impulsive with age and more deliberate and composed in thought. That’s different than measured intelligence or the ability of a person to learn. There’s been a lot of studies that show that when teen boys engage in risk/reward behaviors they associate rewards with high risk. It’s not because they don’t understand the danger of jumping their sled over two automobiles. They understand the risks completely. It just completing such a task makes for a great story and a helluva thrill. They aren’t stupid or lack an ability to learn. 

Edited by ActionfigureJoe
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

What you describe has more to due with a person becoming less impulsive with age and more deliberate and composed in thought. That’s different than measured intelligence or the ability of a person to learn. There’s been a lot of studies that show that when teen boys engage in risk/reward behaviors they associate rewards with high risk. It’s not because they don’t understand the danger of jumping their sled over two automobiles. They understand the risks completely. It just completing such a task makes for a great story and a helluva thrill. They aren’t stupid or lack an ability to learn. 

No.

3 hours ago, HSR said:

Who is more educated in the field? You or AFJ?

What field?  We're talking about critical thinking skills.  Expecting a K-12 kid to understand compexities of media bias, which was the example I gave, has zero to do with impulse control or behaviors having to do with risk and reward.  They are skills that develop as an adult.   I have actual education in critical thinking processes, which may overlap with Gregs education and mine, but its not the same.  So find someone else to annoy, k?

3 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Ah, look at Lloyd trying to feel better about himself in his retirement starter home.  Don't worry, nobody here gives a fuck.

I don't need to pretend.:lol:

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

Ah, look at Lloyd trying to feel better about himself in his retirement starter home.  Don't worry, nobody here gives a fuck.

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I don't need to pretend.:lol:

Looks like both of of you are at a good place.  Why rig on each other :slapping:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...