Check your account email address ×

Alec Baldwin indicted by grand jury for involuntary manslaughter

A grand jury has indicted Alec Baldwin on an involuntary manslaughter charge in the deadly shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the New Mexico set of "Rust," months after prosecutors dropped their case against the actor over her death.

The indictment charges Baldwin, 65, with involuntary manslaughter (negligent use of a firearm) or, in the alternative, involuntary manslaughter (without due caution or circumspection), both fourth-degree felonies.

In response to Friday's indictment, Baldwin's attorneys, Luke Nikas and Alex Spiro of Quinn Emanuel, said, "We look forward to our day in court."

MORE: Grand jury to hear case as prosecutors say Alec Baldwin has 'criminal culpability' in deadly 'Rust' shooting

Special prosecutors investigating the "Rust" shooting said in October 2023 that they believed Baldwin had "criminal culpability" in the deadly shooting. They said at the time they planned to present the case to the grand jury to determine whether probable cause existed to charge him.

The actor was practicing a cross-draw on the Santa Fe set in October 2021 when the gun fired, striking Hutchins and director Joel Souza, who suffered a non-life-threatening injury.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/alec-baldwin-indicted-grand-jury-involuntary-manslaughter/story?id=104954728

We are back to people kill people? 

I thought it was guns kill people?

11 hours ago, Rod said:

Still blows my mind there was live ammo on set 

but at least the gun prop crew was diverse. 

I got saddled with the ammo for an ex.

Live fire and blanks.

It's almost a never because of the dangers.  

Dudes going from one part of the ex to the other.

I sorted that shit out 8 ways from Sunday.

They had both, got careless and it bit them,.

31 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Weird thing is seems not many bother to ask why

"Cause the answer is simple.

You are out in the desert, lots of guns to play with after hours. I'd want to shoot something.

It's the careless use of said guns and mixing of ammunition that is the problem.

The neither the gun, nor the round caused the death.