Check your account email address ×

Mike’s plan for social security.

• Platinum Contributing Member
18 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

I use every legal means every day. Yeah I abide by the laws. Is that a problem Trumpy?

No but its rich or hypocritical you calling people selfish when you could have contributed far more to the system to help it stay solvent.  :lol:  

Great thing about the IRS is with that particular topic they get to decide what is "legal."   Another problem with the tax code but you never had to worry about that did you? 

Edited by Highmark

I use every means possible to lie cheat or rob our pathetic government of every nickel I owe them. Fuck the US government. I hope this country ceases to exist at some point in my life 

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

This thread shows just how selfish some here are.

17 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Won’t affect me. :) 

16 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Or me. 

:news: 

59 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

GenX’ers are just angry, miserable humans. I’m sure there’s a psychology involved. I just can’t find it within me to care. 

See below.  :lol: 

19 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I use every means possible to lie cheat or rob our pathetic government of every nickel I owe them. Fuck the US government. I hope this country ceases to exist at some point in my life 

40 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

:news: 

The solution to the social security issue is simple. It also has nothing to do with boomers. Either raise the retirement age OR address the growing wealth disparity in America by pinging wealthy Americans. 

5 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

The solution to the social security issue is simple. It also has nothing to do with boomers. Either raise the retirement age OR address the growing wealth disparity in America by pinging wealthy Americans. 

Bolster the middle class so they aren't more and more depended on SS. And pay back the trillions the government owes, then triple the interest rate for all borrowing going forward. Hopefully all these "Immigrants" will be paying their share into the system as well

4 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Bolster the middle class so they aren't more and more depended on SS. And pay back the trillions the government owes, then triple the interest rate for all borrowing going forward. Hopefully all these "Immigrants" will be paying their share into the system as well

That doesn’t solve the coming SS security shortfall. There’s only two paths. 

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

That doesn’t solve the coming SS security shortfall. There’s only two paths. 

$2.7 trillion is a good start though. Younger people shouldn't have to work any longer then old folks who are already collecting IMO. If everyone's wages could at least keep pace with inflation that would also be a great place to start. Family of four trying to eat healthy is spending a lot at the grocery store these days 

27 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

We could make a huge impact by reducing the size and cost of government.  Not sure why that’s rarely talked about.  There are only about a million places to cut.

Just now, DriftBusta said:

We could make a huge impact by reducing the size and cost of government.  Not sure why that’s rarely talked about.  There are only about a million places to cut.

I’m not sure how that’s going to help social security. But I do agree with cuts. 

Just now, spin_dry said:

I’m not sure how that’s going to help social security. But I do agree with cuts. 

Yeah if we can stop giving money to other countries so they can study dirt, that would be nice

Just now, spin_dry said:

How will that help the social security fund? 

"I agree with cuts" totally unrelated to SS

Just another pet peeve of mine....wasteful spending  :lol: 

11 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

$2.7 trillion is a good start though. Younger people shouldn't have to work any longer than old folks who are already collecting IMO. If everyone's wages could at least keep pace with inflation that would also be a great place to start. Family of four trying to eat healthy is spending a lot at the grocery store these days 

I had to work longer than my parents to get social security. In the end the wealthy will be protected and the retirement age extended to 69. That’s my prediction. History will be repeated. 

Edited by spin_dry

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

I had to work longer than my parents to get social security. In the end the wealthy will be protected and the retirement age extended to 69. That’s my prediction. 

Probably a good prediction

39 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Why can't everyone's FICA rates go up?   

Just now, Highmark said:

Why can't everyone's FICA rates go up?   

I’d agree with that if it weren’t for the massive wealth disparity growing in this country. How bad does it have to get before people get pissed and rise up. We’re getting hosed to the benefit of the wealthy. 

17 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I’d agree with that if it weren’t for the massive wealth disparity growing in this country. How bad does it have to get before people get pissed and rise up. We’re getting hosed to the benefit of the wealthy. 

How exactly are you getting hosed?   The wealthy (top 1%) paid 42.3% of the income tax yet earned 22.2% of the income.   Yes what they earned seems astronomical but saying they didn't pay a fair amount is just as absurd.  The bottom 50% barely pays any income tax and if they have kids often have negative income tax rates.  

Without question there is plenty that can be fixed in the tax code like carried interest provisions and sending profits offshore and compensation thru stock and other non-income sources.  I'm 100% all for that but the fact remains who carries the majority of tax burden...the top 50% pays 97.7% of the income taxes.

Fed income taxes are just a small part of the equation that makes up what we pay to the govt. 

https://taxfoundation.org/data/all/federal/summary-latest-federal-income-tax-data-2023-update/ 

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

How exactly are you getting hosed?   The wealthy (top 1%) paid 42.3% of the income tax yet earned 22.2% of the income.   Yes what they earned seems astronomical but saying they didn't pay a fair amount is just as absurd.  The bottom 50% barely pays any income tax and if they have kids often have negative income tax rates.  

Without question there is plenty that can be fixed in the tax code like carried interest provisions and sending profits offshore.  I'm 100% all for that but the fact remains who carries the majority of tax burden...the top 50% pays 97.7% of the income taxes.

Fed income taxes are just a small part of the equation that makes up what we pay to the govt. 

https://taxfoundation.org/data/all/federal/summary-latest-federal-income-tax-data-2023-update/ 

This is about social security, not taxes. They can easily pay more. 

36 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

There is one place to cut , only one place that doesn’t hurt regular people. The worthless massively damaging evil military 

2 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

This is about social security, not taxes. They can easily pay more. 

People will find ways around it just like MC did and the politicians will design it in for them. 

I wonder how many athletes and celebrities payment goes towards a LLC or S-corp where they pay themselves a small amount and just take distributions.   Remove the cap and this would become commonplace because it would be the largest tax increase in American history.   12.4% on anything over the cap already.   It would have a negative impact on the economy.