Check your account email address ×

does anyone know how?

Connect my wifes laptop to her 65" Samsung Smart tv, she wants to stream shows from her Laptop to the TV..I tried for 2 days and couldn't make it work, the Laptop does not connect to the TV, just says "not connected" both are on the same WIFI network..my Desktop computer works easily to stream shows to the same TV.

Get an hdmi cable and plug the lap top directly into the tv. My 8 year bottom of the barrel lap top has hdmi ports on it and I am sure your wife’s does as well. I use to use it to watch movies on my tv. You might also have to get into the settings and tell the lap top project on a screen depending on how it is set up 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

Get an hdmi cable and plug the lap top directly into the tv. My 8 year bottom of the barrel lap top has hdmi ports on it and I am sure your wife’s does as well. I use to use it to watch movies on my tv. You might also have to get into the settings and tell the lap top project on a screen depending on how it is set up 

She would like to do it wirelessly like mine does if possible.

23 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

What version of windows?  Does it show up when you press the "play on TV" icon? 

image.png.8ae625010f2516675ad099f7e6b65ac2.png

You can also test it in Chrome or whatever browser.  3 dot menu on the upper left, select "cast" and see what options show up.  

Her laptop did not have Chrome till tonight when I installed it, it used "S" Mode in Microsoft.

Her's is Win 11, mine is Win 10.

Where is the "play on tv icon"?

Both of our computers has the 3 dot in the upper right. Her's did not have the 3 dots at all till I installed Chrome.

Her's is a Lenova Idea laptop.

Edited by XCR1250

When I click the 3 dot & the cast on mine it shows the TV but it will not highlight, however if I click the windows icon & K on the keyboard and then click the TV on the desktop screen mine works instantly.

like Greg, I have an HDMI cable that plugs into the TV if I need to, which is rare these days

wife and teenage daughter do cast to screen all the time, through the Roku as we don't have a fancy-schmancy newer tv

make life easy... with Roku

9 hours ago, Deephaven said:

You can also just try to install it as a second monitor using whatever function key does that on your laptop.

In YouTube there will be that icon.  I'd try there first.

What really odd is last night she tried to "cast" a you tube and it worked so they must see each other, but it will not work on any other sites like yes movies or regular tv channels..it says not connected (TV) when we tried to connect the Laptop to the Smart TV

Easy fix.  Since you know that the desktop computer works for streaming all you need to do are the following;

1.  Buy a compatible format hard drive that will work in the laptop which is equal or larger in storage to that of the desktop. Probably NVMe SSD since it sounds like a newer laptop.

2.  Use cloning software like Macrium Reflect to clone the desktop to the new hard drive.  

3.  Install the cloned hard drive into the laptop and install any additional drivers needed to support the unique laptop hardware.  

4.  Enjoy streaming stuff. :) 

Edited by Plissken

11 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Her laptop did not have Chrome till tonight when I installed it, it used "S" Mode in Microsoft.

Her's is Win 11, mine is Win 10.

Where is the "play on tv icon"?

Both of our computers has the 3 dot in the upper right. Her's did not have the 3 dots at all till I installed Chrome.

Her's is a Lenova Idea laptop.

Win 11 sucks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gasman58 said:

Hit “input” on the tv remote. Scroll to “comp” hit ok then follow directions. 

There is no "input" button on the remote, here's what is on it:

source,- Menu 123,- Vol,- an on screen pointer button,- CH,- Return/Exit,- Extra..that's it except the up, down, left & right arrows and a "select" push button.

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

Try loading Miracast for Windows.

Tried that yesterday couln't figure out how to do it, watched several you tubes on my computer(not hers)  and didn't figure it out  I'm not very computer savvy..LOL

2 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Tried that yesterday couln't figure out how to do it, watched several you tubes on my computer(not hers)  and didn't figure it out  I'm not very computer savvy..LOL

Check item 2

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/set-up-use-miracast-windows-10