Check your account email address ×

Murder central in Northern Vt.

• Platinum Contributing Member

BURLINGTON, Vt. (WCAX) - Vermont’s homicide topped 25 last year, the most the state has seen in nearly three decades, and Vermont State Police say the trend is a cause for concern.

“In comparison to the numbers that we’re seeing of the homicides and increased violence, is it concerning? Yes. And it’s probably concerning to everybody,” said Vermont State Police Maj. Dan Trudeau.

He says while Vermont remains one of the safest states in the country when talking about homicides, it’s not immune to the rise in violence seen in other states last year. Over a 10-year period from 2013 to 2022, the 10-year homicide average was roughly 14 per year, including justified police shootings. Vermont saw a spike from nine in 2021, to 25 last year -- nearly double the 10-year average.

State police do not yet have definitive data on all of the 2022 cases -- including six that remain unsolved -- but Trudeau says drugs are a common denominator in about half. “It ties into what we see in terms of overdose data and addiction rates. You know, a number of things come with that -- your burglaries, your robberies -- I think we’re seeing this uptick in homicides as a relation to that,” he said.

3 minutes ago, J. Jackson said:

Found 2 bodies in Albany but not releasing a lot of info. 

I read where they were searching that are for the 2 missing guys from MA. Probably another drug related case.

3 minutes ago, J. Jackson said:

It seems that since the prison was located here we get quite a few transient types.

From reading some of the community FB groups the State Police are very understaffed. I have seen where several people have called them for small incidents and they never see or hear from them. At least not by the time they post it on FB, lol.

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, ckf said:

From reading some of the community FB groups the State Police are very understaffed. I have seen where several people have called them for small incidents and they never see or hear from them. At least not by the time they post it on FB, lol.

Orleans or essex county sherrifs dept patrol , or respind to calls? 

Dont think Ive ever seen either.

Did get a ticket on a sled from a Caledonia county one once.

3 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Orleans or essex county sherrifs dept patrol , or respind to calls? 

Dont think Ive ever seen either.

Did get a ticket on a sled from a Caledonia county one once.

It probably depends on the town as to who they contract with to cover. At least that's the way it was in the sticks of NH, lol.  I rarely see a cop unless I go to Newport, Lyndonville or St J. 

Yet another.

WASHINGTON —

Vermont State Police is investigating a suspicious death in the town of Washington, Vermont.

Investigators said hunters were in the woods along Poor Farm Road around 2 p.m. on Wednesday when they discovered a body and called police.

• Sad 1

2 bodies in Eden identified as missing Massachusetts men

Eden Scene(WCAX)

By WCAX News Team

Published: Oct. 26, 2023 at 7:12 PM EDT|Updated: 1 hour ago

EDEN, Vt. (WCAX) - Vermont authorities late Thursday said the bodies of two men discovered in Eden have been identified as two Massachusetts 21-year-olds who disappeared last week.

Vermont State Police say Jahim Solomon of Pittsfield, and Eric White of Chicopee, died of gunshot wounds to the head and that the manner of both of their deaths are homicides

Police say the pair disappeared under “suspicious circumstances” while traveling through Burlington, Lowell, Morrisville, and Stowe. Their bodies were found Wednesday in different locations in a wooded area off the Albany Road adjacent to the Wild Branch Wildlife Management Area.

Police Wednesday said are looking into a number of leads -- including issuing a search warrant at an Albany home -- and that it is a complicated case involving many people. They have so far released no information about what the pair were doing in Vermont or possible motives for their murder.

Police say they believe it was an isolated incident and that the public is not in danger

I think that they were hunted down by some big players and executed. Odd that they were found a mile apart. You would think that whoever killed them wouldn't want multiple scenes. Maybe one made a run for it but not far enough. 

On 10/25/2023 at 7:01 PM, Deephaven said:

I walked out of this lobby less than 20min before the shooting.  Nuts.

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-shooting-marriott-river-north-michigan-avenue/13960179/

Not a murder and not a surprise as it is chicago, but way too close to home.  

Rode the bar stools at the Billy Goat, eh?

And now a body in Plainfield, on and on this shit goes. 

PLAINFIELD, Vt. (WCAX) - Vermont State Police are investigating a suspicious death in Plainfield Friday.

They say hunters in the woods near Gore Road found a body around 4:30 p.m. and called police.

The victim’s body was sent to the medical examiner’s office to determine cause and manner of death and identity.

As of now, no one is in custody.