Check your account email address ×

What happens if the rate hikes don’t bring down core inflation?

3 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

it won't... only an ACTUAL recession mitigates a portion of current inflation

I'm in favor of recession, chickens coming home to roost levels of suffering for idiots buried neck deep in debt

rude?  :dunno:

People don’t know how to tighten their budget anymore. The sugar high of cheap money over the past several years has damaged their minds. 

41 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

People don’t know how to tighten their budget anymore. The sugar high of cheap money over the past several years has damaged their minds. 

let's be clear... cheap CREDIT

CREDIT isn't $, it's the prospect $ will be paid back

fuck 'em... bring on the pain train

29 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

let's be clear... cheap CREDIT

CREDIT isn't $, it's the prospect $ will be paid back

fuck 'em... bring on the pain train

I bought a house using a 2.25% loan with 20% down and invested the rest. The idea of buying the house outright with that kind of rate was preposterous. The bank helped pay for my home and enhance my retirement. That’s cheap money. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

High unemployment reduces interest rates. You can’t have both low rates and low inflation.

You can have high unemployment and high inflation. This is what terrifies the fed. When both exist and the fed starts to cut rates, you’ll know that they lost control. Their bag of tricks didn’t work and it’ll be a 8-10 year period of shit. 

here's the deal... we need a financial reset

look at what our own government bought on the credit card at low rates and hasn't paid back?

future generations... fucked.  my child, your children or grandchildren, all fucked because of horrible economic policies and bad management.

probably their children as well... fucked, fucked, fucked... and fucked again.  

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

here's the deal... we need a financial reset

look at what our own government bought on the credit card at low rates and hasn't paid back?

future generations... fucked.  my child, your children or grandchildren, all fucked because of horrible economic policies and bad management.

probably their children as well... fucked, fucked, fucked... and fucked again.  

Nothing tax cuts and trickled on can’t fix :snack:

1 minute ago, SnowRider said:

Nothing tax cuts and trickled on can’t fix :snack:

but the big corporations and wealthy job creators need them to buy another home or yacht, or jet at low rates

but do you also seriously want to discuss Democratic spending?

I've already had a long day... :yawn:

2 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

but the big corporations and wealthy job creators need them to buy another home or yacht, or jet at low rates

but do you also seriously want to discuss Democratic spending?

I've already had a long day... :yawn:

Let’s discuss the economic policies of the candidate you support who’s registering in the polls …..:snack:

• Advertising Member

If you think consumer spending hasn't slowed you're not paying attention.  Problem is raw materials never really contract, once they get juiced up they stay that way.  Labor rates aren't going to drop, energy prices are going to stay where they are.  The only reason unemployment rates are so low, is because we lost a large portion of employees that didn't come back to work after covid.  That is fact.  So this whole dynamic is really new because of the piss poor way this whole thing was handled.  Fact is the fed should have been raising rates about 12-18 months before they did and we would have had a softer landing, but that didn't happen (due to political pressure most likely).  Its going to be interesting as we near the election as I suspect everyone in office will do everything they can to prop up the market.  I expect a bumpy ride.

Spending from goverment funded projects (bridges roads etc) has slowed drastically here in the northeast as has individual level spending.  :bc: 

Edited by Seatofmypants
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Seatofmypants said:

If you think consumer spending hasn't slowed you're not paying attention.  Problem is raw materials never really contract, once they get juiced up they stay that way.  Labor rates aren't going to drop, energy prices are going to stay where they are.  The only reason unemployment rates are so low, is because we lost a large portion of employees that didn't come back to work after covid.  That is fact.  So this whole dynamic is really new because of the piss poor way this whole thing was handled.  Fact is the fed should have been raising rates about 12-18 months before they did and we would have had a softer landing, but that didn't happen (due to political pressure most likely).  Its going to be interesting as we near the election as I suspect everyone in office will do everything they can to prop up the market.  I expect a bumpy ride.

Spending from goverment funded projects (bridges roads etc) has slowed drastically here in the northeast as has individual level spending.  :bc: 

well said... 

• Like 1

Increase in money supply can only be done by govt.   People can want to borrow but without money in the system banks get it from the Fed.  The majority of inflation is caused by govt. 

10 hours ago, Mainecat said:

High unemployment reduces interest rates. You can’t have both low rates and low inflation.

In English please...which low rates are you erroneously referring to, unemployment or interest?