Check your account email address ×

The Kushners and Their Golden Visas - By the NYT Editorial Board

The Kushners and Their Golden Visas - By the NYT Editorial Board

The Kushner family has been caught in a shameless act of name-dropping. It has been highlighting its White House connections to entice wealthy Chinese investors and promising them green cards in return under a special government visa program. That’s pretty bad. But it’s also a scandal that Congress allows real estate developers to use the American immigration system to pad their profits.

Jared Kushner, President Trump’s son-in-law and special adviser, is officially no longer managing his family’s businesses, but he still benefits from many of them. His sister Nicole Meyer was in Beijing and Shanghai this past weekend seeking investors for a luxury apartment project her family is developing in Jersey City, a short train ride from downtown Manhattan. Her sales pitch cited her brother and laid out how a $500,000 investment could provide a coveted path to American citizenship. The Kushner Companies later offered a mealy-mouthed apology “if that mention of her brother was in any way interpreted as an attempt to lure investors.”

Ms. Meyer’s disturbing investor pitch was made possible by the EB-5 investor visa, which opens an express lane into the United States for those who can afford to invest nearly 10 times what the median American household earns in a year. The program, which covers business investments as well as real estate, was created in 1990 and took off in the past 10 years as developers figured out how to turn it into a cheap source of capital. Investors are willing to settle for low returns if it means they gain permanent residence status in the United States. Affluent Chinese families seeking a foothold in a stable democracy snap up most of the visas, which are capped at 10,000 a year.

The EB-5 program has been a scandal magnet. The Government Accountability Office and the inspector general of the Department of Homeland Security say that immigration officials do not properly vet applications for fraud and illicit sources of money. The real estate industry also games the system by using the dark arts of gerrymandering. Under the program, investors have to put at least $1 million, and it has to lead to creation or preservation of at least 10 permanent, full-time jobs. But the minimum investment drops to $500,000 if applicants invest in rural areas or places with elevated unemployment. Developers working in, say, Midtown Manhattan or Beverly Hills can say that nearby depressed neighborhoods are included in the area when they apply for the program.

more
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/08/opinion/the-kushners-and-their-golden-visas.html?emc=edit_th_20170509&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=57435284

i have no issue with an investor visa but they should tighten up the rules and make it more money 

Lets also not forget the Trump didn't invent this program and companies have been soliciting these investments for years.  As long as they wait in the same line as everyone else theres no conflict

http://profit.ndtv.com/news/global-economy/article-the-golden-visa-may-soon-become-more-expensive-1691477

As more and more well-to-do Indians look to migrate to the US through the EB-5 visa program, the Trump administration signed a bill into law extending the EB-5 Regional Center Program through September 30, 2017. The White House is also looking into ramping up the minimum investment required to be eligible for this visa, according to reports. Popularly known as the "Golden Visa," the EB-5 visa requires the applicant to make a one-time investment of a minimum of $500,000 into a new US business that creates 10 or more American jobs, per visa. 

With increased White House scrutiny over H1-B visas, wealthy Indians are increasingly looking to the EB-5 visa as a route to get the coveted US green card.

However as demand for the golden visa increases, White House officials have voiced demands to raise the minimum investment limit. According to Davies & Associates, LLC, a US investor visa firm serving India, that America's immigration regulator US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has demanded increasing the required investment for a EB-5 visa from $500,000 to over $1,300,000." 

Every week, on average, three Indians are signing up to shell out half-a-million dollars each to become part of the EB-5 program.

According to USCIS, the EB-5 program was created by Congress in 1990 to stimulate the U.S. economy through job creation and capital investment by foreign investors. The EB-5 visa program would allow foreigners, who invest between $500,000 and $1 million in qualified projects in the U.S., to apply for permanent resident status for themselves and their families.

While the EB-5 visa was not popular initially, after the 2008 financial crisis, the program has seen massive interest from Chinese millionaires. Chinese citizens currently account for 85 per cent of the 10,000 EB-5 visas awarded every year

Obama not having a problem with investor visas good,  trump admin looking at tightening up the rules bad-  got it. 

Edited by Angry ginger

Her sales pitch cited her brother and laid out how a $500,000 investment could provide a coveted path to American citizenship

So how will the wall stop this Trumptards?

Edited by Mainecat

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, Mainecat said:

The Kushner family has been caught in a shameless act of name-dropping

I stopped reading after that

32 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Her sales pitch cited her brother and laid out how a $500,000 investment could provide a coveted path to American citizenship

why would they want to stop rich people from coming here,  those are good immigrants to take we do;t need the huddled masses anymore thats for sure we can't even take care of our own now.    

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

why would they want to stop rich people from coming here,  those are good immigrants to take we do;t need the huddled masses anymore thats for sure we can't even take care of our own now.    

Good terrorists...good....good ones with cash

40 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

You truly are retarded aren't you? Do you even know what you're typing? 

Say this out loud 10 times and let it sink in...

legal immigrants are good.

Illegal immigrants are bad.

10 times dufus 

1 hour ago, JEFF said:

You truly are retarded aren't you? Do you even know what you're typing? 

Say this out loud 10 times and let it sink in...

legal immigrants are good.

Illegal immigrants are bad.

10 times dufus 

Why bother to read the thread I posted eh goober?

Just now, Mainecat said:

Why bother to read the thread I posted eh goober?

It's good entertainment? I think you have your mind made up and nothing in the world is going to change that. But when you post topic after topic of complete horse shit I  feel obligated to call out such. 

I don't think your a bad guy and I'm sure we could have a beer together and get along just fine in person. But i get a kick out of your online personality. 

Foreign investment is good but I don't like the permanent status allowance for the investor and their family.  We can find people who will invest here without giving them permanent legal status.  How many more convenience stores do we need. :lol:     

Edited by Highmark

4 hours ago, Highmark said:

Foreign investment is good but I don't like the permanent status allowance for the investor and their family.  We can find people who will invest here without giving them permanent legal status.  How many more convenience stores do we need. :lol:     

thats why you raise the barrier so they are real investments not throwing a half million at a convenience store or restaurant.  

6 hours ago, Mainecat said:

they don't need a wall they can fly over in there own jets . but only after they invest a min of 500k per visa in a new business employing at least 10 people .

yeah we know U would rather have penny less skill less Somali and people from  Syria who have no intention on assimilating or contributing to society in any way unless popping out as many kids as they can counts in your bizarre world  

5 hours ago, Highmark said:

I am pretty sure it is 500k per visa . so a family of 4 is 2 mill .

I also think it could be more . but why? when the others threshold for a visa is u must be alive and have no money and from a place that most likely has trained you from birth that the USA is the reason your life sucks.

lets see what group would any country in there right mind want more of

12 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

I am pretty sure it is 500k per visa . so a family of 4 is 2 mill .

I also think it could be more . but why? when the others threshold for a visa is u must be alive and have no money and from a place that most likely has trained you from birth that the USA is the reason your life sucks.

lets see what group would any country in there right mind want more of

Invest because you want to make money, not because you want permanent residence.  

26 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Invest because you want to make money, not because you want permanent residence.  

yes that is true but i am more open To a person willing To put skin in thé game day 1 over thé person with there Hand out day 1