Check your account email address ×

Pretty hot out there…

7 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Since 1979… think about that next time you see “ever recorded”.

I was hoping others had actually read the article… 

It was 106 today, July 6th, in the Twin Cities in…. 1936.

Ever recorded via satellite.  We didn’t have those in 1936.

Satellite has been used to get near total coverage of earths surface.

Neal

Just now, NaturallyAspirated said:

Neal

Exactly.  But be afraid, it’s never been this hot before!  Pffft

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Neal

It's like saying it the hottest it has ever been since last Tuesday.

• Like 3

No one is saying that.  You are putting forth misinformation.

Neal

I’m putting forth misinformation - is that because of semantics?  That’s EXACTLY how they are pushing it… they throw the big scary graphs with RED splattered all over them, and in the upper corner of the screen the graph says “1979-present” without mentioning it… that gets a pass because they put up that little quoted tidbit?

15 minutes ago, Snake said:

It's like saying it the hottest it has ever been since last Tuesday.

No, it isn’t, it’s like saying we have had the two most warm days recorded via satellite since we began taking measurements that way.

We can do some inferences about how well the terrestrial based measurements matched daily satellite measurements though.

Neal

14 hours ago, BOHICA said:

record hot global temp set on Monday was broke on Tuesday…..  repeated days of record breaking global temp.

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/4th-july-breaks-record-highest-temperature-measured/story?id=100702850

It only took one day to break the record set on Monday, when average global temperatures measured at 16.2 degrees Celsius, or 61.16 degrees Fahrenheit, according to the NCEP.

The planet reached the highesttemperatureever recorded by human-made instruments during one of America's mostquintessential summer holidays.

The average global temperature reached 17.18 degrees Celsius, or 62.92 degrees Fahrenheit, on Tuesday, as temperatures sizzled beyond the triple-digit mark around the world andmillions of Americans celebrated the Fourth of July, data from the U.S. National Centers for Environmental Prediction shows.

1 minute ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

No, it isn’t, it’s like saying we have had the two most warm days recorded via satellite since we began taking measurements that way.

We can do some inferences about how well the terrestrial based measurements matched daily satellite measurements though.

Neal

OP himself never bothered to 'read past the headline' and mention any of the qualifiers, hoping no one clicks through and reads them.

Dishonesty 100%... no different than getting to the 25th paragraph before you find out the criminal was a democrat... :lol:

4 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

I’m putting forth misinformation - is that because of semantics?  That’s EXACTLY how they are pushing it… they throw the big scary graphs with RED splattered all over them, and in the upper corner of the screen the graph says “1979-present” without mentioning it… that gets a pass because they put up that little quoted tidbit?

You are.  No, I would say because of your misunderstanding.

“They” are sharing collected information via the scientific processes.  

So you are bitching that they put up 1979-present and then don’t understand that the data is from 1979 to present?  I don’t understand your confusion, it’s a fairly simple thing to understand.

Neal

4 minutes ago, Snake said:

OP himself never bothered to 'read past the headline' and mention any of the qualifiers, hoping no one clicks through and reads them.

Dishonesty 100%... no different than getting to the 25th paragraph before you find out the criminal was a democrat... :lol:

Although the data only exists after 1979”

Perhaps you and others didn’t bother to read the whole article and spazzed out…. :lol:

Neal

3 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

You are.  No, I would say because of your misunderstanding.

“They” are sharing collected information via the scientific processes.  

So you are bitching that they put up 1979-present and then don’t understand that the data is from 1979 to present?  I don’t understand your confusion, it’s a fairly simple thing to understand.

Neal

I fully understand they are posting data "Since 1979".  They have a cool shiny newer tool to measure temperatures, and apparently it does a really good job at that.  

I would take this new data "Since 1979" with a bit more seriousness if they bothered to even mention previously recorded high temperatures during the 1930's, or any time in the pre-"Since 1979" stats they are now collecting.  But they don't, and they won't.

• Like 1

There's no question that the earth is warming. If it wasn't we would still be covered in ice. I'm not a scientist so I have no idea how much of it is natural and how much is man-made.  However, to say that non of it is man-made would be foolish. Just about every city in the country is warmer now than it was 50 or 100 years ago. The larger the city, the larger the heatsink. That's definitely man-made.

1 minute ago, Mag6240 said:

I fully understand they are posting data "Since 1979".  They have a cool shiny newer tool to measure temperatures, and apparently it does a really good job at that.  

I would take this new data "Since 1979" with a bit more seriousness if they bothered to even mention previously recorded high temperatures during the 1930's, or any time in the pre-"Since 1979" stats they are now collecting.  But they don't, and they won't.

Thermometer readings have been around since 1850s and widely publicized.  After the data is shown many people often devolve into the accuracy of the thermometers and the non-global coverage.  

image.thumb.png.570e96815026a1b69281effe9118f13b.png

Neal

4 minutes ago, ckf said:

There's no question that the earth is warming. If it wasn't we would still be covered in ice. I'm not a scientist so I have no idea how much of it is natural and how much is man-made.  However, to say that non of it is man-made would be foolish. Just about every city in the country is warmer now than it was 50 or 100 years ago. The larger the city, the larger the heatsink. That's definitely man-made.

Absolutely reasonable.  :bc:

Neal

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, ckf said:

There was big cities in the 70s and the  so called scientists were saying we were going to cause an ice age with all the pollution. Not enough money was being made from it so they reversed it and it worked. I've said it many times. You take the massive amount of money being made  from the climate change bullshit away. Climate change concern ends quickly. Very quickly.

Absolutely reasonable.  :bc:

Neal

Absolutely!  And like in the Twin Cities, a lot of those recording stations are in those metro heatsinks!  Almost any day the Minneapolis "Official" temperature is recorded at the MSP Airport, it is almost always warmer than it is at my house, just 15 miles south of there.  Huh, go figure!

3 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Thermometer readings have been around since 1850s and widely publicized.  After the data is shown many people often devolve into the accuracy of the thermometers and the non-global coverage.  

image.thumb.png.570e96815026a1b69281effe9118f13b.png

Neal

Wow. Not even 1 degree in 50 yrs.

Just now, Mag6240 said:

Absolutely!  And like in the Twin Cities, a lot of those recording stations are in those metro heatsinks!  Almost any day the Minneapolis "Official" temperature is recorded at the MSP Airport, it is almost always warmer than it is at my house, just 15 miles south of there.  Huh, go figure!

Which is why the satellite data is more universally used for global temperature.  Go figuring already done!  :bc:

Neal

1 minute ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Which is why the satellite data is more universally used for global temperature.  Go figuring already done!  :bc:

Neal

Where do you think the satellites get the data from?

4 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

There has been a lot of talk about where CITY temps are taken. Like Minneapolis, most city temps are taken at airports and that those temps are not giving an accurate reading of the cities temps.

• Like 1