Check your account email address ×

Long range shooting

30 minutes ago, Tommcat said:

Vortex viper pst2 5-25

I've been looking at a Razor HD LHT 4.5-22 for a .308 build. Trying to keep it as light as possible. Would like to get out to 1000 yards but not a lot of options for ranges where I live. 

7mm PRC seems like an interesting round. 

6 minutes ago, soeaster said:

I've been looking at a Razor HD LHT 4.5-22 for a .308 build. Trying to keep it as light as possible. Would like to get out to 1000 yards but not a lot of options for ranges where I live. 

7mm PRC seems like an interesting round. 

The razor 6-36 is likely going to be my choice for a mile.

Im a huge vortex fan 

3 hours ago, Tommcat said:

Currently 300 winmag but im building a 7mm PRC for the 1 mile stuff

I have a 300 win mag and while I think it's fine, I think I'd have problems with longer range hyper accuracy with that round if I really got into that.  It's fine for my hunting use.

But when the recoil is so strong, I have a hard time being perfectly relaxed and not tense.  If I'm completely loose I'll end up with a black eye.  And I think if you shoot enough of that you might develop a flinch.  Unless you have the gun more locked down or something.  I just normally shoot at 100 yards a couple rounds a year.  But I've thought for real long range accuracy I would be better off with less recoil.

3 hours ago, Tommcat said:

The razor 6-36 is likely going to be my choice for a mile.

Im a huge vortex fan 

Good to hear. I've been looking at scopes to go on my new .280 barrel for my encore and have looked at a couple vortex.

2 hours ago, mnstang said:

I have a 300 win mag and while I think it's fine, I think I'd have problems with longer range hyper accuracy with that round if I really got into that.  It's fine for my hunting use.

But when the recoil is so strong, I have a hard time being perfectly relaxed and not tense.  If I'm completely loose I'll end up with a black eye.  And I think if you shoot enough of that you might develop a flinch.  Unless you have the gun more locked down or something.  I just normally shoot at 100 yards a couple rounds a year.  But I've thought for real long range accuracy I would be better off with less recoil.

Some people are just more recoil sensitive than others. The current best shooter in my group hates recoil, and shoots a .243 because of that.

I shoot a consistent 1 moa with the winny, but recoil has never bothered me.

I can barely hit a quarter at 100 yds, this kind of shooting is way over my head.  You guys have my respect.

They make hearing safety devices for 300 Win Mag, I wonder what that does to accuracy.  If I had such a device, I probably wouldn't notice a difference in the relatively short distances I'm capable of hitting a target.

17 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

I can barely hit a quarter at 100 yds, this kind of shooting is way over my head.  You guys have my respect.

They make hearing safety devices for 300 Win Mag, I wonder what that does to accuracy.  If I had such a device, I probably wouldn't notice a difference in the relatively short distances I'm capable of hitting a target.

like everything else, those are illegal here. 
but in terms of accuracy, a lot of the top long range competition uses suppressors so i dont think they harm accuracy in any way. 

10 hours ago, Tommcat said:

Has anyone here had any experience with carbon barrels? Specifically Proof Research?

IMO from what I’ve seen with people that have them you can go with a steel barrel and spend the difference elsewhere for better results. From people I’ve talked to and research I’ve done (my dad was half ass into long range shooting with his buddy who has an 1800 yard range so I was looking at the 110 Ultralite Savages with the proof barrel) they’re still semi inconsistent with cooling and stuff, which I don’t think matters a ton realistically because you’re not shooting rapidly 1000+ yards. If I was going to do a half ass long range build I’d probably buy a 110 ultralite in 7 prc (I like savage) throw a better trigger in it and put it in a chassis and run it. If I was going all out on a custom gun I’d probably go steel barrel and put the money elsewhere unless you’re willing to spend whatever.

53 minutes ago, Palu49 said:

IMO from what I’ve seen with people that have them you can go with a steel barrel and spend the difference elsewhere for better results. From people I’ve talked to and research I’ve done (my dad was half ass into long range shooting with his buddy who has an 1800 yard range so I was looking at the 110 Ultralite Savages with the proof barrel) they’re still semi inconsistent with cooling and stuff, which I don’t think matters a ton realistically because you’re not shooting rapidly 1000+ yards. If I was going to do a half ass long range build I’d probably buy a 110 ultralite in 7 prc (I like savage) throw a better trigger in it and put it in a chassis and run it. If I was going all out on a custom gun I’d probably go steel barrel and put the money elsewhere unless you’re willing to spend whatever.

the savage ultralight receiver is exactly what i just ordered. i looked at doing the whole rifle but it's only in a 22 inch barrel and i want longer

56 minutes ago, Tommcat said:

the savage ultralight receiver is exactly what i just ordered. i looked at doing the whole rifle but it's only in a 22 inch barrel and i want longer

I know that’s the one thing I don’t love about it for that purpose but for box stock performance it’s hard to beat a savage in my opinion. I also think the 110 action offers a lot of perks for something to build off of even though it doesn’t seem to be used a ton on custom guns. I know you’re localish to the savage plant I don’t know if you ordered the receiver straight from them or not but if they offer anything with a 24” barrel in 7 PRC they’ll put everything together for you right in the custom order shop if you decide to go with steel.

32 minutes ago, Palu49 said:

I know that’s the one thing I don’t love about it for that purpose but for box stock performance it’s hard to beat a savage in my opinion. I also think the 110 action offers a lot of perks for something to build off of even though it doesn’t seem to be used a ton on custom guns. I know you’re localish to the savage plant I don’t know if you ordered the receiver straight from them or not but if they offer anything with a 24” barrel in 7 PRC they’ll put everything together for you right in the custom order shop if you decide to go with steel.

currently, all of their 7 prc stuff is 22 inch only. i want 26 so i'm either going to try a proof research carbon, or stay traditional with a mcgowan custom barrel in stainless.

talking to a friend that works there, i think you'll see the elite precision in 7 next year, but i didnt feel like waiting to find out. they currently do 300 prc so it makes sense the 7 is next

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

we all hear the shots, some are bitching. i came from a gun family so i basically don't hear it. you can hear the shot then a second later "ding" when it hits the target

both are beautiful sounds

1 hour ago, Tommcat said:

currently, all of their 7 prc stuff is 22 inch only. i want 26 so i'm either going to try a proof research carbon, or stay traditional with a mcgowan custom barrel in stainless.

talking to a friend that works there, i think you'll see the elite precision in 7 next year, but i didnt feel like waiting to find out. they currently do 300 prc so it makes sense the 7 is next

Tell him to tell Savage us boomers want some nice wood stock/blued options back 😂