Check your account email address ×

Student Debt Relief, Biden veto power

15 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Can we be mad about both the PPP and student loan handouts?  Is that possible in a politically divided country we can call out bad policy when we see it?

Keep in mind, the PPP forgiveness passed both the house and senate with bipartisan support.  The student loan forgiveness is something the Biden admin cooked up.  There was bipartisan support in both the house and senate to reverse that policy but Biden vetoed it.

What will happen is SCOTUS will throw it out and Biden will go back to the playbook.  Rules like income based repayments, payment freezes, forgiveness after a certain number of payments, etc. will be their next strategy.  It's a good political strategy, it keeps are large number of voters financially dependent on continuing to have Democrats in charge.

Absolutely but PPP deserves far more outrage because it was more than double the size of SLF and most of it, not all, was completely unnecessary.

True but that doesn't make it right. PPP was a $900 billion giveaway to wealthy biz owners of which most didn't need it, $100 billion alone was fraud. 

1 minute ago, snoughnut said:

True but that doesn't make it right. PPP was a $900 billion giveaway to wealthy biz owners of which most didn't need it, $100 billion alone was fraud. 

Take that up with your congressman and senator.

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

https://fortune.com/2020/07/08/ppp-loan-recipients-members-of-congress/

which one? 

this isn't the exact article I was looking for but it's close enough 

The ones who voted for it.  The ones who took it are just doing what all of us would have done.

1 minute ago, teamgreen02 said:

The ones who voted for it.  The ones who took it are just doing what all of us would have done.

Wrong, alot of businesses did not take it because they were very skeptical and also didn't need it, that's called integrity, something alot of people don't have. In all honesty, it was theft of the American taxpayer if you really want to get down to it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

https://fortune.com/2020/07/08/ppp-loan-recipients-members-of-congress/

which one? 

this isn't the exact article I was looking for but it's close enough 

You want to really be disgusted? Go visit the PPP Tracker website, the amount of money some of these businesses received is astonishing.

6 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/politics/politifact/2022/09/06/fact-check-ppp-loans-forgiven-republicans-matt-gaetz-marjorie-taylor-greene/65470173007/

was there any accountability to show how the $ was spent?   

3 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Keep those that overpaid for an education chained in debt for the rest of their lives. Serves them right. 

no one held a gun to their head when they signed the loan paperwork.  same as a mortgage, car loan or credit card.  you willing to help pay for our daughter's college education starting next year?  she plans to become an eye surgeon.  pm me for the address to start mailing your monthly contribution.  

:)

4 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

You want to really be disgusted? Go visit the PPP Tracker website, the amount of money some of these businesses received is astonishing.

do they show HOW the $ was actually spent?   

probably not, but I'd love to see some 

7 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

do they show HOW the $ was actually spent?   

probably not, but I'd love to see some 

No but do a little more research and you'll find most of it didn't got to payroll like it was intended.

I actually know somebody who is in the same biz as I am, served my apprenticeship with him over 30 years ago. He took a $90,000 PPP loan except he was smart about it and has the money sitting in a separate account in case he's audited. His business was thriving during Covid but like many he took it because he could. I lost respect for him because he obviously lacks integrity.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

I was 100% against it.  But at least you and I can look up friends and neighbors and ask them why they took it.  And maybe patronize the businesses that didn't take the money.  Just a thought.  Obviously, boycotting works, just ask Bud Light.

4 hours ago, SnowRider said:

How much did orange man spend? :news:

How much did orange man spend? 

How much did orange man spend?  

Orange man is not in office anymore 

Seek help.   

18 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/politics/politifact/2022/09/06/fact-check-ppp-loans-forgiven-republicans-matt-gaetz-marjorie-taylor-greene/65470173007/

was there any accountability to show how the $ was spent?   

no one held a gun to their head when they signed the loan paperwork.  same as a mortgage, car loan or credit card.  you willing to help pay for our daughter's college education starting next year?  she plans to become an eye surgeon.  pm me for the address to start mailing your monthly contribution.  

:)

Unlike a mortgage, car loan, or credit card card debt, a student can't be discharged through bankruptcy. Big difference. 

3 minutes ago, racer254 said:

I was 100% against it.  But at least you and I can look up friends and neighbors and ask them why they took it.  And maybe patronize the businesses that didn't take the money.  Just a thought.  Obviously, boycotting works, just ask Bud Light.

as stated... where was the accountability?    

aggregious theft

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

Unlike a mortgage, car loan, or credit card card debt, a student can't be discharged through bankruptcy. Big difference. 

tough titties, they knew or should have known that when they signed.  the onus of responsibility falls duly upon them... not the taxpayers. 

imagine you started working at Uncle Joe's Turd Mine straight out of high school for $12 an hour, work there for a decade and are now making $20 an hour.  your boss who makes $40 an hour, who went to college and didn't pay his loans back but still bought a nice house, new car, goes on vacation and just bought a side by side is getting his student loans paid for, by you... who shoveled turds for a decade.  

does that seem 'fair'? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
11 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

tough titties, they knew or should have known that when they signed.  the onus of responsibility falls duly upon them... not the taxpayers. 

imagine you started working at Uncle Joe's Turd Mine straight out of high school for $12 an hour, work there for a decade and are now making $20 an hour.  your boss who makes $40 an hour, who went to college and didn't pay his loans back but still bought a nice house, new car, goes on vacation and just bought a side by side is getting his student loans paid for, by you... who shoveled turds for a decade.  

does that seem 'fair'? 

Spot on.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

does that seem 'fair'? 

Who signed the PPP forgiveness into law? is it the same guy looking to give away more $$$ to students?

See a trend?

Why is it an issue now to make higher education free? Does it relate to inclusion, equity, acceptance that a certain group is promoting heavily? 

Does the open border fit in with free education too?

59 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Keep those that overpaid for an education chained in debt for the rest of their lives. Serves them right. 

Stop guaranteeing student loans. They need to be underwritten like any other loan, it will slow the inflation of education prices.  

Take 2 eighteen year olds.  One applies for 100k small business loan, the other applies for a 100k student loan.  The student loan with have no issues, but I bet that small business loan is probably not going to happen without some kind of collateral or cosigner.

7 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Take 2 eighteen year olds.  One applies for 100k small business loan, the other applies for a 100k student loan.  The student loan with have no issues, but I bet that small business loan is probably not going to happen without some kind of collateral or cosigner.

Only one of those loans is bankruptable.  Imagine how things would change if it were the schools that made the loans and were on the hook for getting repayment.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

does that seem 'fair'? 

What isn’t fair is those that squandered SBA loans or acted irresponsibly and can discharge debt for a small fee. Why the double standard? 

51 minutes ago, racer254 said:

And then there is those that run up hundreds of thousands in credit card debt. For a small fee they can discharge a debt that required no collateral. Why the double standard with student loan debt? 

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

And then there is those that run up hundreds of thousands in credit card debt. For a small fee they can discharge a debt that required no collateral. Why the double standard with student loan debt? 

What double standard?  You mean the one where it's funded by a bank vs government funded?  Treat them all the same, IE, no taxpayer funded loans

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

What isn’t fair is those that squandered SBA loans or acted irresponsibly and can discharge debt for a small fee. Why the double standard? 

you can try to skin this cat any way you want... the student loan forgiveness is utter horse puckey, blatantly utter theft and vote purchasing.  

bad mark for Biden in my book