Check your account email address ×

Burn Baby Burn, lol

Jalopnik

Tesla Asks Model Y Owner To Tow Burned-Out Car To Service Center

39c8844d7215e1ed038ada7e23097a16
Ryan Erik King
Fri, May 19, 2023 at 12:50 PM CDT

Common sense doesn’t seem all that common nowadays. It would be easy to assume that the customer service representative of a car manufacturer would understand that an electric vehicle would be a total loss after it has been consumed by flames like Joan of Arc tied to a stake. However, a Tesla Model Y owner in California had a startling experience both on the road and with customer service.

Bishal Malla from Elk Grove, California, was driving his Tesla Model Y while running errands when the EV started shaking. While pulling onto Highway 99, he pulled over to check if his Tesla had a flat tire. After Malla climbed out, the electric crossover started billowing smoke and then caught fire.

Elk Grove father says he grateful to be alive after Tesla catches fire near Highway 99

In a post on Reddit, Malla said that he was grateful to be alive and feared what could have happened if his family had been in the vehicle with him. Though, Business Insider reported that his communications with Tesla after the incident were frustrating, to say the least. He wrote on Reddit:

“It’s been two weeks, yet not a single follow-up or check-up call from Tesla. Yes, insurance will cover the car, but I need to hear from Tesla, and I hope they will do RCA on what caused this and what they are doing to mitigate it. All I need is the answer from them and protect others to not go through the same issue.”

Malla did eventually hear back from a Tesla representative, but they seemingly didn’t comprehend the severity of the damage to Malla’s vehicle. According to Malla, he was asked to take his burned-out Model Y to a service center. In his words on Reddit:

“Apparently not. I’ve tried them more than 10 times but those folks at roadside assistance customer service can’t do anything. One agent I talked to had an audacity to tell me to take my fully burned Tesla to the Tesla recommended servicing center. My car was fully salvaged and a total loss. How in the world am I going to do that? Phewww”

Malla’s insurance company took the Model Y and salvaged it, but he did wish that he had rented a flatbed truck to drop the destroyed car at the service center’s doorstep. It would have been difficult to criticize him for his malicious compliance.

• Haha 1

Just now, spin_dry said:

On a percentage basis, which vehicle has more fires. EV’s or ICE? 

good question. going back to a previous life with a field service truck, before i got my retirement job.lol, when no big iron repairs i used to get sent to walmarts, homo depots and such to service and repair the little 4 ton electric trucks. besides the mototruck pallet jacks with their silver contact buttons, there was ne'er a problem with electrics.

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Drove passed this on Tuesday. I would guess ICE vehicles by far, just based on what I've seen over the years. But also in saying we aren't seeing a lot of any of 15 year old EV'S with 150+K on the ticker either..I've seen a lot of cars on fire in my travels, never have seen anything newer burning.

IMG_20230516_070053026.jpg

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 hours ago, spin_dry said:

What percentage of US cars sale are electric?

20 hours ago, mtnloverxtreme2 said:

good question. going back to a previous life with a field service truck, before i got my retirement job.lol, when no big iron repairs i used to get sent to walmarts, homo depots and such to service and repair the little 4 ton electric trucks. besides the mototruck pallet jacks with their silver contact buttons, there was ne'er a problem with electrics.

Those are lead/acid batteries. There is almost no danger of fire, with the exception of while charging and off gassing…but even then it is extremely remote.

If a lead acid battery is involved in a fire, it’s almost always because something shorted, outside of the battery and cooked wiring etc.

The lead acid battery just powers the short, starts the fire and sits there and gets burned. Li fuels the fire to the point it’s stand back and watch it burn.

Few lift trucks use Li batteries, as energy dense as they are, because the trucks need the lead batteries for counter weight, and if one of these things lights up conventional methods of fire fighting do not apply.

Lithium is a whole different animal when it comes to a fire.

I stick all my lithium battery shit I my outdoor wood boiler when they are at end of life.

Get a little heat out of it, and it ain’t gonna light the garbage truck up as it crushes it and burns.

Edited by Voodoo
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Skidooski said:

What percentage of US cars sale are electric?

Fires per 100,000 vehicles. I’m guessing ICE are ahead for fires. Tesla began using LFP4 batteries. It’s virtually impossible to have a runaway thermal episode with that type of battery.