Check your account email address ×

Biden says he’ll renew push for assault weapons ban following spate of mass shootings

42 minutes ago, f7ben said:

You ask an absolute moron like MC to provide examples of shootings that would have been prevented with implementing these types of things and they have nothing. Just the dumbest of the dumb. 

Did I say gun safety old prevent all shootings you fuckin moron? My safety point is it’s not nationwide. Many states have a safety class requirement to hunt but not to buy a gun. It’s stupider than you.

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

How many guns are stolen every year due to unsafe storage? Safe storage is taught in gun safety classes.

4 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Just checked….380,000 guns are stolen every year.

Ask a cop on the beat how criminals get guns and you're likely to hear this hard boiled response: "They steal them." But this street wisdom is wrong, according to one frustrated Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) agent who is tired of battling this popular misconception. An expert on crime gun patterns, ATF agent Jay Wachtel says that most guns used in crimes are not stolen out of private gun owners' homes and cars. "Stolen guns account for only about 10% to 15% of guns used in crimes," Wachtel said. Because when they want guns they want them immediately the wait is usually too long for a weapon to be stolen and find its way to a criminal.

In fact, there are a number of sources that allow guns to fall into the wrong hands, with gun thefts at the bottom of the list. Wachtel says one of the most common ways criminals get guns is through straw purchase sales. A straw purchase occurs when someone who may not legally acquire a firearm, or who wants to do so anonymously, has a companion buy it on their behalf. According to a 1994 ATF study on "Sources of Crime Guns in Southern California," many straw purchases are conducted in an openly "suggestive" manner where two people walk into a gun store, one selects a firearm, and then the other uses identification for the purchase and pays for the gun. Or, several underage people walk into a store and an adult with them makes the purchases. Both of these are illegal activities.

The next biggest source of illegal gun transactions where criminals get guns are sales made by legally licensed but corrupt at-home and commercial gun dealers. Several recent reports back up Wachtel's own studies about this, and make the case that illegal activity by those licensed to sell guns, known as Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs), is a huge source of crime guns and greatly surpasses the sale of guns stolen from John Q. Citizen. Like bank robbers, who are interested in banks, gun traffickers are interested in FFLs because that's where the guns are. This is why FFLs are a large source of illegal guns for traffickers, who ultimately wind up selling the guns on the street.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Ask a cop on the beat how criminals get guns and you're likely to hear this hard boiled response: "They steal them." But this street wisdom is wrong, according to one frustrated Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) agent who is tired of battling this popular misconception. An expert on crime gun patterns, ATF agent Jay Wachtel says that most guns used in crimes are not stolen out of private gun owners' homes and cars. "Stolen guns account for only about 10% to 15% of guns used in crimes," Wachtel said. Because when they want guns they want them immediately the wait is usually too long for a weapon to be stolen and find its way to a criminal.

In fact, there are a number of sources that allow guns to fall into the wrong hands, with gun thefts at the bottom of the list. Wachtel says one of the most common ways criminals get guns is through straw purchase sales. A straw purchase occurs when someone who may not legally acquire a firearm, or who wants to do so anonymously, has a companion buy it on their behalf. According to a 1994 ATF study on "Sources of Crime Guns in Southern California," many straw purchases are conducted in an openly "suggestive" manner where two people walk into a gun store, one selects a firearm, and then the other uses identification for the purchase and pays for the gun. Or, several underage people walk into a store and an adult with them makes the purchases. Both of these are illegal activities.

Read my link

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

There’s a lot of shitty FFL’s that contribute to straw purchases. 

2 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Dude no one wants to take your guns including me. I do want owners to be safe. 
your a fuckin idiot.

you’re a guckin liar 

No One Wants to Ban or Confiscate Guns huh? These Quotes from Anti Gun Leaders Say Otherwise

Illinois Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky saying that an assault weapons ban is just the beginning. She also says that a complete ban on handguns could be possible through state and local action.

Dianne Feinstein, the senior Senator from California, who is leading the gun control push in the Senate said in a 1995 interview, after getting her assault weapons ban passed, “If I could have banned them all – ‘Mr. and Mrs. America turn in your guns’ – I would have!”

NY Governor Andrew Cuomo said in a radio interview in late December, “Confiscation could be an option…mandatory sale to the state could be an option.”

San Diego’s [police chief] Lansdowne, who plays an active role in the western region of the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP), said in the interview it may take a generation, but guns will eventually be taken off the streets

Frank Lautenberg, U.S. Senator from New Jersey

“We have other legislation that all of you are aware that I have been so active on, with my colleagues here, and that is to shut down the gun shows.” 5

Howard Metzenbaum, former U.S. Senator

“No, we’re not looking at how to control criminals … we’re talking about banning the AK-47 and semi-automatic guns.”

J

Charles Pashayan, U.S. Representative from California

“All of this has to be understood as part of a process leading ultimately to a treaty that will give an international body power over our domestic laws.” 8

Pete Stark, U.S. Representative from California

“If a bill to ban handguns came to the house floor, I would vote for it.” 9

William Clay, U.S. Representative from Missouri

” …we need much stricter gun control, and eventually should bar the ownership of handguns

Joseph Biden, Vice President of the United States

Banning guns is an idea whose time has come.”

John Chafee, Former U.S. Senator from Rhode Island

“I shortly will introduce legislation banning the sale, manufacture or possession of handguns (with exceptions for law enforcement and licensed target clubs)… . It is time to act. We cannot go on like this. Ban them!” 10

Major Owens, U.S. Representative from New York

“We have to start with a ban on the manufacturing and import of handguns. From there we register the guns which are currently owned, and follow that with additional bans and acquisitions of handguns and rifles with no sporting purpose.”

Bobby Rush, U.S. Representative from Illinois

“My staff and I right now are working on a comprehensive gun-control bill. We don’t have all the details, but for instance, regulating the sale and purchase of bullets. Ultimately, I would like to see the manufacture and possession of handguns banned except for military and police use. But that’s the endgame. And in the meantime, there are some specific things that we can do with legislation.” 12

9 hours ago, Mainecat said:

The fed needs to require a nation wide safety course requirement….end of story. 

Fuck off. You have said this idiotic statement ad nauseum. The number of "dangerous" gun owners is many times exponentially smaller than those who understand the responsibility of gun ownership. The vast majority of gun owners are generational that have been taught the dangers and responsibilities of owning a firearm. Fuck man you're insufferable...

Edited by J. Jackson

8 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I'm not focused on the mass shooter. Mainly because they're virtually impossible to stop. Lone nuts are sometimes detectable, but it's rare. I'm looking more at what can be done at stopping the flow of guns to gangs, drug peddlers, and inner city criminals. As for school shootings....99.999% preventable. 

The unwillingness of people to "rat" someone out is part of the problem. Scared of reprisal is the main reason and being labelled is another. The inner city violence will never change until people say fuck it and take a chance. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Then fix that. In most states stealing a gun is treated the same as stealing a bicycle. That needs to be fixed.