Check your account email address ×

BRP launches triple 2S

As an Evinrude E-tec customer and owner that was left high and dry- screw 'em.....

They could have treated their dealers better as well as loyal customers when they abruptly dumped Evinrude. They lost a ton of Evinrude dealers in that move. 

Alumacraft makes a great boat, but I would think that most customers have already moved on to Mercury, Suzuki, and Yamaha on their Alumacrafts.....

• Like 1

That is 100% evinrude designed, developed, and built.  It was called "project ghost"  and was shown to dealers on the back of manitou and alumicraft before they killed evinrude (during the biggest sales boom the boating industry had seen in 30+ years).
It is the G2 115-140-150 3 cylinder powerhead, and gearcase, with a stupid, complicated, and heavy midsection.

After the debacle they created by killing evinrude, and releasing the info on social media before notifying dealers, the evinrude name is worthless, so they had to call it something else.

Most customers and dealers are going to tell BRP to pound sand with it IMHO

Hell BRP converted all their boat dealers to Mercury dealers, by switching their boats to Mercury power after killing evinrude.  Why would any dealer go back to them?

project ghost.jpg

Edited by krom
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ziemann said:

As an Evinrude E-tec customer and owner that was left high and dry- screw 'em.....

They could have treated their dealers better as well as loyal customers when they abruptly dumped Evinrude. They lost a ton of Evinrude dealers in that move. 

Alumacraft makes a great boat, but I would think that most customers have already moved on to Mercury, Suzuki, and Yamaha on their Alumacrafts.....

33 minutes ago, krom said:

That is 100% evinrude designed, developed, and built.  It was called "project ghost"  and was shown to dealers on the back of manitou and alumicraft before they killed evinrude (during the biggest sales boom the boating industry had seen in 30+ years).
It is the G2 115-140-150 3 cylinder powerhead, and gearcase, with a stupid, complicated, and heavy midsection.

After the debacle they created by killing evinrude, and releasing the info on social media before notifying dealers, the evinrude name is worthless, so they had to call it something else.

Hell BRP converted all their boat dealers to Mercury dealers, by switching their boats to Mercury power after killing evinrude.  Why would any dealer go back to them?

project ghost.jpg

Did they Ficht it this time?  :lol:

@XCR1250 plays with outboards as well if memory serves.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, krom said:

@krom That was perfectly summarized. Exactly what I was referring to. My E-tec 135 runs like a Swiss Watch- but has zero value. So, I will hang on to it on my Lund Pro-V until it dies. It has served me well, but the vast majority of dealers in my area that serviced Evinrude are gone. For BRP to kill Evinrude in the messiest way possible, then promote Mercury, then come back with their own unit is mind boggling. WTF were they thinking?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, krom said:

project ghost.jpg

Brp will send the drive standard on the boat companies they own. So It will basically force dealers to have it. 

They will certainly provide significant incentives to get their Alumacraft dealers to adopt it. This should be labeled an Evinrude. It is, after all, from the land of cheese....

1 hour ago, Ziemann said:

They will certainly provide significant incentives to get their Alumacraft dealers to adopt it. This should be labeled an Evinrude. It is, after all, from the land of cheese....

They own aluma craft. They won’t make it option. They will make it part of the boat and send it and not give the dealers an option to order a boat with out an engine 

So when will BRP put a variation of this 'clean' 3/2s into a sled?

Never is the most likely answer but... 

The thing is also very heavy, it's not in the article I linked but I read it's around 500lbs

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

35 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

So when will BRP put a variation of this 'clean' 3/2s into a sled?

Never is the most likely answer but... 

The thing is also very heavy, it's not in the article I linked but I read it's around 500lbs

Boat motors typically are and run at a different rpm range than a sled. A boat motor also has to last a lot longer. Most sled engines aren’t going to make it 500 hours 

11 hours ago, Not greg b said:

They own aluma craft. They won’t make it option. They will make it part of the boat and send it and not give the dealers an option to order a boat with out an engine 

For now it will be an option, as its only available in 115, or 150 hp..  

Manitou has a canned reply they copy and past every time someone asks if they can get a boat with a normal outboard.

For the majority of toon customers it being a 2 stroke will make it a tough sell.  It was uphill with evinrude, but they had a long history, and a name.  When somone came in and asked "is it a four stroke, eveyone says I need to buy a four stroke" you could point to their history, and others who had and loved their evinrudes.

ghost.jpg

18 hours ago, Not greg b said:

They'll have to make it an option if they want to sell any Alumacraft boats that can accept a 115-150 HP outboard. They are going to have a very steep hill to climb. @krom Krom's point is right on. If they had introduced this before BRP killed Evinrude, it would have had more of a chance of market acceptance. It would have been seen as the evolution of the Evinrude E-tec and would have appealed to their loyal market and many others- even as a 2 stroke. Unfortunately, BRP has alienated their Evinrude customers and dealers, and this is going to be a tough sell. Myself included.

Hell, Brunswick owns Lund & Crestliner (and several others) and you can get an engine other than a Mercury. It will cost you more, and goes against the dealer's incentives, but a good chunk of dealers will do it. Thus the reason why there is an Evinrude E-tec on my Lund Pro-V. 

Edited by Ziemann