Check your account email address ×

Sledshop afterschool program

• Platinum Contributing Member

Saw this on dootalk and thought what a great program and it appears it is taught after school by a shop teacher (teacher haters take note) with some sponsorship from Big John and SHR. :bc:

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1414825-this-years-project-in-sledshop/

• Like 2

Awesome program. I think the schools should give every kid an aptitude test in grades 4 or 5.

Give them some idea what they might be good at, so they could channel their learning into an area where they feel they would be the most productive, and real good at it.

Doesn,t matter if the tests pointed to being a good carpenter, painter, electrician, computer geek, doctor, or lawyer, or whatever.

Everyone wants to be good at something. Give them some guidance at an early age, and let them decide.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

Awesome program. I think the schools should give every kid an aptitude test in grades 4 or 5.

Give them some idea what they might be good at, so they could channel their learning into an area where they feel they would be the most productive, and real good at it.

Doesn,t matter if the tests pointed to being a good carpenter, painter, electrician, computer geek, doctor, or lawyer, or whatever.

Everyone wants to be good at something. Give them some guidance at an early age, and let them decide.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people that go into university still not knowing what they want to do with their life and the number of them that change their field of study part way through. It would be good if they had more help figuring this out earlier.

• Like 2

Shop teacher?  thought they turned all those spaces to computer labs 15yrs ago. I know they have no shop classes in schools around my parts any more. it is a shame really.

it is shocking the number of kids who have no idea how to even change a spark plug on a lawn mower .

any of the high school kids who want to investigate the trades in my parts at least has the option of gong to the local vo tech for 1/2 a day in there last yr or 2 of school .

still not enough how do they know if they like it or not if they never had shop class? they don't even do home ec classes ? how is a guy suppose to learn to sew so he can fix his boat/sled/car covers with out home ec ?

2 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Shop teacher?  thought they turned all those spaces to computer labs 15yrs ago. I know they have no shop classes in schools around my parts any more. it is a shame really.

it is shocking the number of kids who have no idea how to even change a spark plug on a lawn mower .

any of the high school kids who want to investigate the trades in my parts at least has the option of gong to the local vo tech for 1/2 a day in there last yr or 2 of school .

still not enough how do they know if they like it or not if they never had shop class? they don't even do home ec classes ? how is a guy suppose to learn to sew so he can fix his boat/sled/car covers with out home ec ?

My FIL is the shop/small engines/ag/woodshop teacher in the district.  Next year he gets to add CAD to that too, so I've been showing him how to use Solidworks.

It sounds like it can be challenging for the kids who want to take those classes because they can only end up taking 1 a semester, if it fits their schedule for required classes.  

• Like 1

cad shit that is cool. w took apart new brigs and had to put them back together running to pass. those that did not run got taken back apart and alloy was used for the sand casting stations where every swinging dick made a shifter knob lol