Check your account email address ×

Tesla battery packs power the Hawaiian island of Kauai after dark

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, ICEMAN! said:

It looks like it was a field before as there are fields surrounding it.  Of course I've never heard any outrage from you about massive open pit coal mines, tar sands production, oil pipelines, huge refineries etc.  All of these are major polluters tied to fossil fuels extraction and production.  If solar has come to the point where they can install a system like this and save 1.6 million gallons of diesel fuel per year and produce hydro at 1/2 the cost, what is there honestly to complain about?  Oh noes, solar panels.....STFU

$139 a megawatt hour wholesale for this "cheap" solar.....  it is cheaper then the $155 mwh they paid for this on diesel.  Solar works for Hawaii if they don't mind the loss of land and vegetation.  Wholesale electric rates in my area from coal are around $20-$30 megawatt hour.  If I was mandated to use this Tesla electricity my rates would go up over 5x's.  

I would assume the 65,000 residents on this island are pretty thrift on electric since it cost about 33-34 cents a kWh.  Prolly not alot of AC going on or really needed on a tropical island....  not much need for heat either

also the holes in the earth to mine the raw materials used to manufacture materials needed for these installations create massive holes in the earth the rival any coal mines. Plus the destruction of the earth on the acreage it takes for these facilities.  

Sorry green energy is not that green...

Edited by BOHICA

19 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

$139 a megawatt hour wholesale for this "cheap" solar.....  it is cheaper then the $155 mwh they paid for this on diesel.  Solar works for Hawaii if they don't mind the loss of land and vegetation.  Wholesale electric rates in my area from coal are around $20-$30 megawatt hour.  If I was mandated to use this Tesla electricity my rates would go up over 5x's.  I would assume the 65,000 residents are pretty thrift on electric since it cost about 33-34 cents a kWh.

also the holes in the earth to mine the raw materials used to manufacture materials needed for these installations create massive holes in the earth the rival any coal mines. Plus the destruction of the earth on the acreage it takes for these facilities.  

There you go posting more facts and real world dollar and cents. Yet none of the idiots on here drive electric cars or live off the grid. I would bet they don't even know the laws of basic electricity. The UPS systems that are out there,what it takes to make them and what they cost.:bla:

2 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

There you go posting more facts and real world dollar and cents. Yet none of the idiots on here drive electric cars or live off the grid. I would bet they don't even know the laws of basic electricity. The UPS systems that are out there,what it takes to make them and what they cost.:bla:

The UPS system costs are down right scary as well as the maintenance costs. In my environment they also have to be redundant with a shared load so that if one goes down the other picks up the full load.

15 hours ago, motonoggin said:

Consider the terms we are discussing this in.

Technology that has the potential to make everyone less dependent on fossil fuel and move us into the next phase is not being implemented because someone needs to make a buck on it.

It's the same reason why people around the world starve and don't have clean water. No money in it.

This is a completely unnecessary artificial goalpost we require of anything that threatens the existing power structure. And our entire society has been conditioned to accept that. Hell, they got you guys saying it.

Cant question the programming that goes on. top notch for sure. Everyone forgets what has already been accomplished so quickly today is rather easy to do.

Look at Nicola Teslas work, an electric car with one battery that did over 75 mph, and so many others having to do with electricity. all forgotten.                                       programming.

3 hours ago, BOHICA said:

$139 a megawatt hour wholesale for this "cheap" solar.....  it is cheaper then the $155 mwh they paid for this on diesel.  Solar works for Hawaii if they don't mind the loss of land and vegetation.  Wholesale electric rates in my area from coal are around $20-$30 megawatt hour.  If I was mandated to use this Tesla electricity my rates would go up over 5x's.  

I would assume the 65,000 residents on this island are pretty thrift on electric since it cost about 33-34 cents a kWh.  Prolly not alot of AC going on or really needed on a tropical island....  not much need for heat either

:lmao:

Thanks for the laugh!

• Gold Member
33 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

Thanks for the laugh!

Laugh means you got nothing!

$139 a mwh is what Tesla charges the utility in a high solar area.  That is extremely expensive for electricity compared to areas with an abundance of carbon based fuels

4 hours ago, ICEMAN! said:

It looks like it was a field before as there are fields surrounding it.  Of course I've never heard any outrage from you about massive open pit coal mines, tar sands production, oil pipelines, huge refineries etc.  All of these are major polluters tied to fossil fuels extraction and production.  If solar has come to the point where they can install a system like this and save 1.6 million gallons of diesel fuel per year and produce hydro at 1/2 the cost, what is there honestly to complain about?  Oh noes, solar panels.....STFU

4 hours ago, ICEMAN! said:

This place is like an idiot convention

It's amazing really

3 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Laugh means you got nothing!

$139 a mwh is what Tesla charges the utility in a high solar area.  That is extremely expensive for electricity compared to areas with an abundance of carbon based fuels

I'm laughing because I don't even know where to start with that load of garbage in your last post.

First of all, you posted why solar will completely take over in areas like Hawaii!  33-34c / kWh?  Tesla signed a 20 year contract to supply solar energy at 13.9c / kWh.  That right there says it all.  As more and more projects like this come online, the price of panels and batteries will decline making the cost cheaper, which makes solar competitive in areas that don't get as much sun.  This really isn't all that hard to understand unless you're purposely trying not to.  Solar is also infinitely cleaner than fossil fuel energy by basically every measure.  Saying "green energy isn't green" shows obvious bias and a willful ignorance on the subject.

I could go on, but what's the point?

:lol:

• Gold Member
50 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

I'm laughing because I don't even know where to start with that load of garbage in your last post.

First of all, you posted why solar will completely take over in areas like Hawaii!  33-34c / kWh?  Tesla signed a 20 year contract to supply solar energy at 13.9c / kWh.  That right there says it all.  As more and more projects like this come online, the price of panels and batteries will decline making the cost cheaper, which makes solar competitive in areas that don't get as much sun.  This really isn't all that hard to understand unless you're purposely trying not to.  Solar is also infinitely cleaner than fossil fuel energy by basically every measure.  Saying "green energy isn't green" shows obvious bias and a willful ignorance on the subject.

It doesn't surprise me that you don't know where to start.  Especially from the guy that believed a magnacoaster was even possible...   lol.

kWh x 1000 = mwh.....  13.9 cents = $.139   So $.139 x 1000 will give you $per mwh.  Simple way to multiply .139 by 1000 is to move the decimal point 3 spots to the right....  So $.139 x 1000= $139.  Mwh is what wholesale power is sold to utilities at  from the generators.  

Now that price is just buying power from the generator.... (Tesla). Consumer is Kauai electric...  they give Tesla $139 per mWh but this doesn't include the cost for the utility to deliver the power to the consumer....  these rates are the total kWh that the consumer is charged.  March 1st this utility just had a rate change.  They dropped from 34+cents per kWh to 33+cents per kWh.  Not to mention the basic service charge of 10+ dollars.  This info can be found for any utility if you goggle what ever utilities rates.  

My current rate delivered to my house is around .075 a kWh of that about $.02-.03 per kWh or $20-$30 a mWh is the wholesale rate my utility pays for that generation.

go ahead and scratch your head Ice as you are one dumb motherfucker.  $139 a MWh is an outrageous price.

Edited by BOHICA

Holy stupid fuck!!!! $139 a MWH is 4 to 5 times what my customers are buying bulk power for? I have a customer buying at 33 cents a KWH to run an office building . They are none for profit and don't have to pay some of the taxes ect.  Please post the pics of your Tesla cars and off the grid systems you have. :lmao:

3 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Holy stupid fuck!!!! $139 a MWH is 4 to 5 times what my customers are buying bulk power for? I have a customer buying at 33 cents a KWH to run an office building . They are none for profit and don't have to pay some of the taxes ect.  Please post the pics of your Tesla cars and off the grid systems you have. :lmao:

You know the island is powered by diesel?

3 hours ago, ICEMAN! said:

so man up if u are so convinced invest it all in tesla and show every one how smart or stupid u are in 15yrs . talk is cheep

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

You know the island is powered by diesel?

you also know on islands like that all the resorts make there own power right?

not saying the solar is bad but if it really is cost effective the businesses would be buying before government .

HI is 1 other place with a lot of moving water why no small scale hydro ?

if we really want to move to less fossil it is not going to happen with huge installations it will only happen  with home base  and small community based installations.

prob is government nor the energy company's are going to let that happen  

8 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

you also know on islands like that all the resorts make there own power right?

not saying the solar is bad but if it really is cost effective the businesses would be buying before government .

HI is 1 other place with a lot of moving water why no small scale hydro ?

if we really want to move to less fossil it is not going to happen with huge installations it will only happen  with home base  and small community based installations.

prob is government nor the energy company's are going to let that happen  

Most resorts are off grid so they make their own power.