Check your account email address ×

Tesla battery packs power the Hawaiian island of Kauai after dark

Tesla battery packs power the Hawaiian island of Kauai after dark

Phil LeBeau Wed, Mar 8 2:17 PM PST

While investors on Wall Street debate whether Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA)'s ambitious transformation from electric car maker to sustainable energy company will pay off, its industrial power packs are already having an impact on at least one state.

In Hawaii, the Kauai Island Utility Cooperative (KIUC) is now drawing energy from 272 Tesla power packs to provide electricity after dark. While the island previously relied on solar and other renewable energy during the day, it had no way to store the sun's power after it went down.

Using stored energy from Tesla's power packs is expected to save KIUC 1.6 million gallons of diesel fuel annually, which has traditionally been the way the utility generates power after dark.

Tesla says the power packs will cut KIUC costs per kilowatt hour from 15.5 cents down to 13.9 cents. The 13.9 cents is a fixed price for the next 20 years.

For Kauai, the chance to cut the use and fluctuating costs of diesel fuel is what makes Tesla's energy storage system so attractive. Yet for Wall Street analysts, it isn't enough to convince them that the Tesla's energy initiatives will be enough to move the needle.

"At this time, we ascribe zero value to Tesla shares from this business," Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas told investors. "We take this view due to the uncertain economic and regulatory forces facing the energy business, particularly the solar business."

In an interview with CNBC on Wednesday, Tesla Chief Technical Officer JB Straubel attributed analyst skepticism to the fact that solar and energy storage form a new market.

"I think it is a little difficult to see into the future sometimes and see how it is going to grow," Straubel told CNBC. "There are no immediate comparables that they can look to in the past and show how this growth happened."

But, he added, "the size of the utility grid and the electricity consumed around the world is enormous. That is the market that we are tapping into here."

Straubel also expects the economics of renewable energy to become increasingly favorable over those of fossil fuels.

"The energy markets are obviously volatile," he said. "They will continue to be volatile, and these technologies are coming down in price every single year. So we don't see this changing and the long-term trend is going to be the same."

Shareholders approved a merger between Tesla and SolarCity in November, with Tesla scooping up Elon Musk's solar energy firm for $2.6 billion. But while the company's revenue has grown rapidly over the years, high costs have kept it from earning a profit in all but two quarters.

SolarCity plays a major role in the company's Kauai project. There are nearly 55,000 solar panels spread over 50 acres generating electricity that is stored in the power packs and discharged to KIUC after the sun goes down.

"As a state, we know how to generate power," Hawaii Gov. David Ige told CNBC. "For us, the challenge has been storing that power to use at night. Now we can do that."

—CNBC's Robert Ferris contributed to this report.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/tesla-battery-packs-power-hawaiian-221732783.html

• Like 1

• Gold Member
7 hours ago, Mainecat said:

While this moves Hawaii forward with clean energy, oil lobbyists and Trumps Exxon retards push fossil fuels and pipelines.

I would rather have a pipeline buried in my back yard vs my back yard covered by corporate solar panels and windmills..  the large scale wind farms have really messed up our elk population migration and winter habits.  Plus I don't want to pay 13+ cents a kWh wholesale rate for electricity either....

$139 per mwh that this Tesla farm is getting is on the extreme compared to the $30's per mwh that my utility pays for coal

Edited by BOHICA

1.4 cents a hour isn't green enough for any of my customers. ( green = dollar bills) The  payback isn't there and Wall Street see's it.  I do give Tesla credit for trying,one day they may get the cost down.

5 hours ago, Woodtick said:

1.4 cents a hour isn't green enough for any of my customers. ( green = dollar bills) The  payback isn't there and Wall Street see's it.  I do give Tesla credit for trying,one day they may get the cost down.

The cost is continually dropping and efficiencies are improving.  It's only a matter of time.

8 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

The cost is continually dropping and efficiencies are improving.  It's only a matter of time.

Their car prices say something different . Remember they were going to make a car for 30k? Still waiting,just 70k cars available ?

21 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

It's only a matter of time before that rickitty old airplane of yours conks out and plummets to the ground like a lead brick :bc:

14 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Their car prices say something different . Remember they were going to make a car for 30k? Still waiting,just 70k cars available ?

Model 3 starts shipping in late 2017.  Starting price $35,000.  It was only unveiled a year ago and they started taking orders at that time so yes, I do remember last year. 

3 minutes ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

It's only a matter of time before that rickitty old airplane of yours conks out and plummets to the ground like a lead brick :bc:

Haha, could happen any time but planes don't plummet to the ground like a lead brick when the engine quits.

:lmao:

Consider the terms we are discussing this in.

Technology that has the potential to make everyone less dependent on fossil fuel and move us into the next phase is not being implemented because someone needs to make a buck on it.

It's the same reason why people around the world starve and don't have clean water. No money in it.

This is a completely unnecessary artificial goalpost we require of anything that threatens the existing power structure. And our entire society has been conditioned to accept that. Hell, they got you guys saying it.

6 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Consider the terms we are discussing this in.

Technology that has the potential to make everyone less dependent on fossil fuel and move us into the next phase is not being implemented because someone needs to make a buck on it.

It's the same reason why people around the world starve and don't have clean water. No money in it.

This is a completely unnecessary artificial goalpost we require of anything that threatens the existing power structure. And our entire society has been conditioned to accept that. Hell, they got you guys saying it.

Profits have little bearing at this point.  The reality is, the technology isn't cost effective enough (yet) to displace fossil fuels.  You could try to outlaw fossil fuel generation tomorrow, but nobody could afford to use it.  The profit involved in the equation is a small amount.  Capitalism is the most effective tool to drive the technological innovation to bring the costs lower.  

9 hours ago, Mainecat said:

While this moves Hawaii forward with clean energy, oil lobbyists and Trumps Exxon retards push fossil fuels and pipelines.

"At this time, we ascribe zero value to Tesla shares from this business," Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas told investors. "We take this view due to the uncertain economic and regulatory forces facing the energy business, particularly the solar business."

1 hour ago, ICEMAN! said:

the cost is continually dropping and efficiencies are improving.  It's only a matter of time.

yes that is what they were telling me in high school in the mid 80s. well that and we would be in a ice age by now.

have u people ever seen a solar farm in person? it is pretty crazy .

why is HI not using wind? the wind is always blowing off the pacific

1 hour ago, Woodtick said:

70k so shopping the demo stripped down base model ha

I think the awd 100kw p100 is pushing 150k

yes true welfare pays part of that bill but still that is a chunk of scratch

and those ugly fucking X things start at 85k

my fav tesla are still the original roadsters

44 minutes ago, sledderj said:

Profits have little bearing at this point.  The reality is, the technology isn't cost effective enough (yet) to displace fossil fuels.  You could try to outlaw fossil fuel generation tomorrow, but nobody could afford to use it.  The profit involved in the equation is a small amount.  Capitalism is the most effective tool to drive the technological innovation to bring the costs lower.  

No, profits mean everything. 

They only reason we aren't doing it is because it's not cost effective. That's precisely the point. 

It's a dogmatic adherence to something that is actively holding us back. It reminds me of religious dogma, really. 

1 minute ago, Ez ryder said:

70k so shopping the demo stripped down base model ha

I think the awd 100kw p100 is pushing 150k

yes true welfare pays part of that bill but still that is a chunk of scratch

and those ugly fucking X things start at 85k

my fav tesla are still the original roadsters

According to Jimmy that cars should be free,,,,

1 minute ago, motonoggin said:

They only reason we aren't doing it is because it's not cost effective. That's precisely the point. 

It's a dogmatic adherence to something that is actively holding us back. It reminds me of religious dogma, really. 

So all,others should works for free ?

2 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

so u and all your little friends can send all the cash u have to put to the cause of people building things they cant make any money at just run a loss so peope can feel good about the product's the make , yes just like religious dogma WTF are u talking about

1 minute ago, Ez ryder said:

so u and all your little friends can send all the cash u have to put to the cause of people building things they cant make any money at just run a loss so peope can feel good about the product's the make , yes just like religious dogma WTF are u talking about

Toothbrush whitey, now.