Check your account email address ×

Per Fox News…. Texas installing EV chargers

10 hours ago, Skidooski said:

They are all going in that direction and have been for some time now. Sooner or later we might not have a choice when looking to buy new

Forced by the liberal govt. Won't have a choice might not turn out so good ...

7 hours ago, Matt said:

TBH, if I could get my wife to go for an EV as her daily driver, we'd probably have one by now.  She's not convinced on the range and tech... which is dumb because she never drives on the highway or goes more than 15 miles from home.

For the vast majority of suburban homeowners, at least one EV in the fleet makes total sense if you can charge it up at night.  Even if we'd only charge on 110v, an EV would fit the bill for us perfectly.

One would be good. 100k for a F150 ...yea I'll pass

2 hours ago, Steve753 said:

You only need 50 amps for fast charge at home.

Only??..wtf

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

Forced by the liberal govt. Won't have a choice might not turn out so good ...

One would be good. 100k for a F150 ...yea I'll pass

Only??..wtf

Most people have 200 amp services these days.

8 hours ago, ford_428cj said:

50 is still a heavy duty run...

Sure is 

so charging a car will be like running a central air unit.. yeah great idea.. my ac is very cheap to run.. 🙄fucking idiots 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

Sure is 

so charging a car will be like running a central air unit.. yeah great idea.. my ac is very cheap to run.. 🙄fucking idiots 

Alot cheaper than $6.00 a gallon.

21 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Is that right.. lol ok

and you’re exaggerating the price of gas. That’s misinformation 

Edited by Pete

8 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

That's after you pay a premium for the EV, with the national average of being $10k more...

Then you have to pay to have a charger installed in the home, unless you the 120 route and take 3 days to charge the car... national average of $1k to $2k...

Let's not forget insurance... national average of 25% more for EVs.

Let's do some math....

$10k premium plus $1,500 for a charger install (avg of $1k to $2k). (Insurance is so subjective I will leave it out of the equasion for now)

$11,500 premium right out of the box. National average of $5 a gallon. The premium would purchase 2,300 gallons of gas. At the paltry 20.4 my M is getting, you would have to drive the EV 46,920 miles before the break even point.

Since I am using the M as an example, with a 25% premium on insurance, add over 1,500 miles per year to cover that cost.

In a nutshell, almost 50,000 miles before you have saved anything.

Please check my math... it's early, I haven't finished my first cup of coffee...

Disclaimer... all averages that I got off the web. Personal results may vary...

17 hours ago, Skidooski said:

All I'm saying is most the new programs being developed in advanced design are EV's. Rumors of even postponing the new GM truck program but still work the EV's. The new trend..... It's coming

It isn't most, but all.  EV's are here to stay, the ICE is sadly soon to be extinct

19 minutes ago, Snake said:

At the paltry 20.4 my M is getting, you would have to drive the EV 46,920 miles before the break even point.

In your M?  Sure if I drive like my mother I get 30 on the highway in the S6, but if I average above 12mpg in my car it is a very unusual tank of gas.  My old M5 was the same, my AMG worse and my Whipple charged Escalade WAY worse.

Not disputing your calculation, just shocked you pull such good mpg in such a beast.

1 minute ago, Deephaven said:

In your M?  Sure if I drive like my mother I get 30 on the highway in the S6, but if I average above 12mpg in my car it is a very unusual tank of gas.  My old M5 was the same, my AMG worse and my Whipple charged Escalade WAY worse.

Not disputing your calculation, just shocked you pull such good mpg in such a beast.

5 over the speed limit, regardless the speed limit... 55-80.

20220615_121748.thumb.jpg.57b751bc339a9398c6b23c1d071d4e77.jpg

35 minutes ago, Pete said:

Is that right.. lol ok

and you’re exaggerating the price of gas. That’s misinformation 

It's higher in places. Was an average. 

35 minutes ago, Snake said:

That's after you pay a premium for the EV, with the national average of being $10k more...

Then you have to pay to have a charger installed in the home, unless you the 120 route and take 3 days to charge the car... national average of $1k to $2k...

Let's not forget insurance... national average of 25% more for EVs.

Let's do some math....

$10k premium plus $1,500 for a charger install (avg of $1k to $2k). (Insurance is so subjective I will leave it out of the equasion for now)

$11,500 premium right out of the box. National average of $5 a gallon. The premium would purchase 2,300 gallons of gas. At the paltry 20.4 my M is getting, you would have to drive the EV 46,920 miles before the break even point.

Since I am using the M as an example, with a 25% premium on insurance, add over 1,500 miles per year to cover that cost.

In a nutshell, almost 50,000 miles before you have saved anything.

Please check my math... it's early, I haven't finished my first cup of coffee...

Disclaimer... all averages that I got off the web. Personal results may vary...

There's a premium to pay for anything new. People still pay a premium to buy a new diesel vehicle. I'll be getting my wife a Tesla sooner than later.

14 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

It isn't most, but all.  EV's are here to stay, the ICE is sadly soon to be extinct

You got your finger on the pulse of ALL new vehicles in advanced development? 

9 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

There's a premium to pay for anything new. People still pay a premium to buy a new diesel vehicle. I'll be getting my wife a Tesla sooner than later.

At the average of 12k miles a year, you will need to keep it 4 years before you see any payback... at current prices.

5 minutes ago, Snake said:

At the average of 12k miles a year, you will need to keep it 4 years before you see any payback... at current prices.

True, but you also get that warm and fuzzy feeling inside that you're helping the environment. 

:lol:

10 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

True, but you also get that warm and fuzzy feeling inside that you're helping the environment. 

:lol:

I get that same feeling when the hp and torque dials swing over to the right side of the dial... :lol:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Skidooski said:

You got your finger on the pulse of ALL new vehicles in advanced development? 

Pretty much my job, so yes.  Most companies scrapped ICE development budgets more than 5 years ago.  Yes there is money and research in alternative technologies, but none of merit yet and they aren't traditional ICE either.

1 minute ago, Deephaven said:

Pretty much my job, so yes.  Most companies scrapped ICE development budgets more than 5 years ago.  Yes there is money and research in alternative technologies, but none of merit yet and they aren't traditional ICE either.

So you're saying all new vehicle development is EV no more ICE?

2 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

So you're saying all new vehicle development is EV no more ICE?

Depends on the company.  VW went that route almost 5 years ago.  Others are doing the same.  Not vehicle of course, but powertrain development.  There are almost zero "new" engine blocks coming down the pipeline.  There is still some money in supporting legacy while they build up alternatives.