Check your account email address ×

I bonds something you may want to look into.

My dad just bought some. There's a max per person, $10k I think?  I would pick some up if I didn't have a bunch of home repairs on the radar that I don't know what they will cost yet.

Plus, my wife's van is approaching 350k miles.  :lol:

Yeah they’re a pretty good deal, but you have to buy them directly from the treasury.  I can sell T Bills, T bonds, TIPS, CDs etc., but not those.  I think you can buy up to 20k per household, and something to do with tax return money can bump it to 15k per taxpayer, not sure of specifics.

2 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Yeah they’re a pretty good deal, but you have to buy them directly from the treasury.  I can sell T Bills, T bonds, TIPS, CDs etc., but not those.  I think you can buy up to 20k per household, and something to do with tax return money can bump it to 15k per taxpayer, not sure of specifics.

We are going to gift the two kids 10k each and put it in I bonds for them and put the Max in for us. Great return without the the gamble.

We bust balls on this site but this is good information that could really help the guys out. 

17 minutes ago, Snake said:

Link showed 7.12 percent for the first six months, then at the fixed rate of 0.0%?

It's adjusted every 6 months and the interest rate is a combination of a fixed rate (currently 0) and an index for inflation.  So as long as we're in an inflating economy, it'll be a good return.  If inflation goes back to less than single digits, the return on these basically goes to 0.  It's a decent hedge against brandonflation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt said:

It's adjusted every 6 months and the interest rate is a combination of a fixed rate (currently 0) and an index for inflation.  So as long as we're in an inflating economy, it'll be a good return.  If inflation goes back to less than single digits, the return on these basically goes to 0.  It's a decent hedge against brandonflation.

This is taxable is my understanding.   

3 hours ago, Badger** said:

We are going to gift the two kids 10k each and put it in I bonds for them and put the Max in for us. Great return without the the gamble.

We bust balls on this site but this is good information that could really help the guys out. 

Absolutely.  :bc: 

2 hours ago, Snake said:

Link showed 7.12 percent for the first six months, then at the fixed rate of 0.0%?

Thats what I heard as well, adjusted to inflation.  Interest is taxable.

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

I bought bonds from Abe Lincoln.

I post this for you MC so maybe with all the shit that going on in the world some of you boys could make a little more money or make your money work for you. 

36 minutes ago, Badger** said:

I post this for you MC so maybe with all the shit that going on in the world some of you boys could make a little more money or make your money work for you. 

Thanks. I have a trove of government bonds.