Check your account email address ×

Any newer GM owners here?

24 minutes ago, Im4snow said:

I have a 21 Sierra with 5.3 and one side went down with about 10 k miles back in Nov. At the time GM just switched to replacing both sides since it was in the shop. So far so good. I hear the issue is contained to certain mfg dates, as noted above. Hopefully yours is now fully fixed. 

Original lifter supplier couldn’t keep up with demand. Second supplier claimed they could meet the same quality standards and help meet demand. Second supplier failed miserably. Specs/tolerances are not even close between the two. The “bad” parts are slowly being purged. None made it to service parts stock from what I was told. 

• Like 2

Every GM I've had gets the afm delete instantly...but it is free when you have an HPTuner programmer.  As an aside, adding long tubes makes the 6.2 sound unbelievably awful switching from 8 to 4 and back.  Hear that once and you will disable it on any stock machine as well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Crowder said:

What the issue with the 6-speeds? I’ve heard it’s better to own a recent 6-speed than the 8-speed. 
   Most of the GM gurus I know recommend putting on one of the “range” or other devices that disable AFM and DFM on the 5.3 motors. 

we have seen many 6 speed failures. typically the front pump is all ground up, causing slippage and failure. i have had 3 in the last month, and had to send them all away. no remans from gm available. we don't have the manpower for rebuilding and it's likely there are no parts anyway. just the way it is these days. 

13 hours ago, EvilBird said:

Plan on buying a 21-22 GM 6.6 Gas 2500 fairly soon..

I got over 200k on my '02 6.0 and it still is a great engine. I had the heads rebuilt once around 120k. Did it myself piece of cake. 

I also have a 06 5.3 with 200k still runs mint never been apart. 

Nothing against Ford or Ram I just prefer GM. 

you have been fortunate to own some of the best they have made. 6.6 gas has been great so far. my bro has one and says it is strong. local owners who are very hard on trucks all say the same thing. 6.6 is badass. my last truck was an 04 1/2 ton chevy. i bought it after it was traded in, tech drove it and said i should buy it. i drove it and it was wicked. freak of nature. good truck but could not stop the corrosion. i told my neighbor that works at a gm dealer also how nasty it was. after i sold it he said he could tell me that he almost wrecked it the time he took it for an inspection. i was unable to at the time so he took it. said he remembered me saying it was fast so he tried it out. barely got it back straight , almost in the guard rails. don't know if it was chipped or something but man , not a typical 5.3. had typical gearing and such 

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, sleepybrew said:

you have been fortunate to own some of the best they have made. 6.6 gas has been great so far. my bro has one and says it is strong. local owners who are very hard on trucks all say the same thing. 6.6 is badass. my last truck was an 04 1/2 ton chevy. i bought it after it was traded in, tech drove it and said i should buy it. i drove it and it was wicked. freak of nature. good truck but could not stop the corrosion. i told my neighbor that works at a gm dealer also how nasty it was. after i sold it he said he could tell me that he almost wrecked it the time he took it for an inspection. i was unable to at the time so he took it. said he remembered me saying it was fast so he tried it out. barely got it back straight , almost in the guard rails. don't know if it was chipped or something but man , not a typical 5.3. had typical gearing and such 

Funny my buddy had a 03 or 04 5.3 Chevy extended cab with the rear wheel steering option lmao...that truck was ridiculous fast for no reason. He threw a Corsa cat back and maybe cold air intake other than that bone stock but it was also a freak. Walked other 5.3s easily.

33 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

Funny my buddy had a 03 or 04 5.3 Chevy extended cab with the rear wheel steering option lmao...that truck was ridiculous fast for no reason. He threw a Corsa cat back and maybe cold air intake other than that bone stock but it was also a freak. Walked other 5.3s easily.

they were actually pretty cool trucks. not many sold but the rear steering was cool. my buddy had one . i was staying in a cabin at indian lake, he was camping on an island. went to the boat launch and all the shit in his truck bed was shredded. left food in there and the bear got in it. the bear claws tore right through the plastic bed side. the ranger asked wtf, my buddy laughed. "he got my smores" i laughed but the ranger told him he was an idiot. i laughed even more

• Like 1