Check your account email address ×

Mitch McConnell blocks Breyer from retiring

Mitch McConnell blocks Breyer from retiring

WASHINGTON—In a controversial political maneuver that sparked outrage from Democrats and their allies, sources confirmed Wednesday that Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell had blocked Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer from retiring. “It is the Senate’s constitutional right to act as a check on Stephen Breyer,” said McConnell, who blasted the 83-year-old justice’s plan to step down from the bench as contrary to the founding fathers’ vision that Supreme Court members would serve until the day they keeled over and died. “The radical Democrats are clearly getting desperate and see Stephen Breyer’s retirement as their only recourse. There is simply no way I can allow it. If Justice Breyer wants to retire, he’ll have to wait until 2024 and let the American people decide if he’s finished.” At press time, sources confirmed that McConnell had used an arcane legal precedent to prevent Breyer from purchasing a condominium in Florida.

• Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

Poor attempt at sarcasm.   I expect better from the Onion.  I mean it might be funny if McConnell was still the majority leader. 

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Poor attempt at sarcasm.   I expect better from the Onion.  I mean it might be funny if McConnell was still the majority leader. 

The Onion has taken a back seat (more like a position in the trunk) to the Bee

The Irony of this is the left is forcing his retirement because they know the are losing the senate and when that happens there will be no democrats added to the bench under Biden. Brier didn't announce yesterday Chuck Schumer announced it. Hilarious

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

The Irony of this is the left is forcing his retirement because they know the are losing the senate and when that happens there will be no democrats added to the bench under Biden. Brier didn't announce yesterday Chuck Schumer announced it. Hilarious

That’s as crazy as me claiming a Republican judge killed himself during a Republican presidency so a Republican can pick his replacement.

not sure where the Onion got the idea McConnell was an asshole?