Check your account email address ×

Is vintage racing the only thing keeping ice oval racing on life support?

@Badger**?

If I have absolutely nothing better to do, or if it's at the 525 track and not -17F I'll go for amusement and a few beverages.

Its the World Championships at Eagle River this weekend and right now on Floracing there isn't a sole there spectating I can see.  Also funny, most of the racers I'm seeing right now were there last weekend, on the same machines.  The oems seem to care less and less about this every year.

Last Sunday I watched bits and pieces of the vintage races there and the winner of the vintage championship said publicly that vintage racing is the only thing keeping ice ovals alive. 

1 minute ago, Not greg b said:

Mira is still popular in Michigan 

also not popular anywhere but there

that said, Enduro racing is a bigger test of man and machine than six laps of an oval any day of the week, and on sleds most people can actually identify with rather than an old trailing arm or leafer 

I know some hate it, but the GD Soo is a real test of man, machine, kidneys and livers.   500 miles of whupped up formerly ice oval, or possibly mud and a bunch of drunken Yoopers cheering them on. 

real snowmobile racing.  :lol2:

2 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

also not popular anywhere but there

that said, Enduro racing is a bigger test of man and machine than six laps of an oval any day of the week, and on sleds most people can actually identify with rather than an old trailing arm or leafer 

I know some hate it, but the GD Soo is a real test of man, machine, kidneys and livers.   500 miles of whupped up formerly ice oval, or possibly mud and a bunch of drunken Yoopers cheering them on. 

real snowmobile racing.  :lol2:

Probably because that is the only state they race in. I guess they made the long journey across the ditch to eagle river this weekend and leave Michigan lol

Oval racing has the "typical" racing problems of it costs too damn much, but you also have a group of racers who can bitch like no tomorrow, are super clicky, they have too many damn classes, and you have such a specialized sled, someone who has never raced before is looking at that vs. other forms of racing and passes it by.

To top it off, there really isn't an easy way to go buy a sled off the showroom or out of a race department, buy a kit, and go race it.  F500 is probably as close as it gets.

One year I counted over 60 classes for vintage at ER.

How many sanctioning bodies are there?  I think it is fairly fractured.  

Some of this applies to drag racing too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Not greg b said:

Probably because that is the only state they race in. I guess they made the long journey across the ditch to eagle river this weekend and leave Michigan lol

Troy Dewald and a bunch of the Mira boys were at the vintage last weekend, Troy had a couple of wild rides off his sled.  Two were in the same race.

1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

Oval racing has the "typical" racing problems of it costs too damn much, but you also have a group of racers who can bitch like no tomorrow, are super clicky, they have too many damn classes, and you have such a specialized sled, someone who has never raced before is looking at that vs. other forms of racing and passes it by.

To top it off, there really isn't an easy way to go buy a sled off the showroom or out of a race department, buy a kit, and go race it.  F500 is probably as close as it gets.

One year I counted over 60 classes for vintage at ER.

How many sanctioning bodies are there?  I think it is fairly fractured.  

Some of this applies to drag racing too.

good points

I think there were 73 classes last weekend

Beatercross, that seems to be the most popular and fun poor mans side of things.

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Troy Dewald and a bunch of the Mira boys were at the vintage last weekend, Troy had a couple of wild rides off his sled.  Two were in the same race.

good points

I think there were 73 classes last weekend

Beatercross, that seems to be the most popular and fun poor mans side of things.

Look at where the biggest single class turnouts in vintage racing are!  

They are at the damn one lunger 100 races! 

You have 4 classes - Relic, HR, HD, and the MF'ing Enticers.

Your classes aren't diluted, you can do it on a $500 sled, it is cheap to enter, you get tons of track time, it is fun, people help one another out, you can race out of the back of a pickup, etc.  

18 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Your classes aren't diluted, you can do it on a $500 sled, it is cheap to enter, you get tons of track time, it is fun, people help one another out, you can race out of the back of a pickup, etc.  

100 feet?

Pro Champ main is coming up next on Menstrual Flo Racing... their tracks without studs cost more than most of those one lungers did when new 

did your buddy ever find a sled?

5 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

100 feet?

Pro Champ main is coming up next on Menstrual Flo Racing... their tracks without studs cost more than most of those one lungers did when new 

did your buddy ever find a sled?

If you have a sled that will last, 100 miles of track time!

He found like 3 different sleds, but didn't commit to any of them to go buy, so now he is thinking about just selling what he has now and buying something to just trail ride on.

He likes his Nytros, so I'm finished helping him.

2 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

If you have a sled that will last, 100 miles of track time!

He found like 3 different sleds, but didn't commit to any of them to go buy, so now he is thinking about just selling what he has now and buying something to just trail ride on.

He likes his Nytros, so I'm finished helping him.

are there hour long plow breaks after every 16 laps?

he's picking an absolutely brilliant time to look for a used trail sled :smack:

Nytro's?  he's not a real friend

:lol:

4 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

are there hour long plow breaks after every 16 laps?

he's picking an absolutely brilliant time to look for a used trail sled :smack:

Nytro's?  he's not a real friend

Plow breaks?  What are those?

I kid, I kid.

CMPR by us puts on a pretty well run show for oval racing, but I couldn't imagine racing 4 laps and done.

I told him just go score up like a old pogo stick Vmax 600 or something interesting.  He can match my other friend's cheap Exciter.

9 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

@Badger**?

If I have absolutely nothing better to do, or if it's at the 525 track and not -17F I'll go for amusement and a few beverages.

Its the World Championships at Eagle River this weekend and right now on Floracing there isn't a sole there spectating I can see.  Also funny, most of the racers I'm seeing right now were there last weekend, on the same machines.  The oems seem to care less and less about this every year.

Last Sunday I watched bits and pieces of the vintage races there and the winner of the vintage championship said publicly that vintage racing is the only thing keeping ice ovals alive. 

Looks like the parking lot is mostly full 4 hours before the race. Sorry this does not fit you're narrative. >>>  https://fb.watch/ay2PshxxW6/  

2 minutes ago, Badger** said:

Looks like the parking lot is mostly full 4 hours before the race. Sorry this does not fit you're narrative. >>>  https://fb.watch/ay2PshxxW6/  

those are all the plow drivers and ladies selling hot dogs

I know a few local clubs that rode up for it

1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

strathcona, a little 10 house town 40 miles north of me has Ice ovals.  Haven’t been up there in years to watch but they get a good turn out.  Covid might have killed it because a lot of guys came down from Canada. Wahl brothers racing is just 10 miles from there  

Edited by Nanner

7 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Agreed. The guys that run the WBRC just east of me have a pretty simple but popular series as well.

Edited by Sled_Hed

7 hours ago, Badger** said:

Let me guess you got bullied in high school, alot. :buttkisser:

Yes, in fact I was.  Dad should have never let me wear a SkiDoo jacket to school.

Did you get dropped on your head as a baby or wear a loose fitting football helmet for too many years? 

Riding this weekend?  Heading past your land on 64 in an hour to help a friend and getting out close to home this afternoon for a loop.

4 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Yes, in fact I was.  Dad should have never let me wear a SkiDoo jacket to school.

Did you get dropped on your head as a baby or wear a loose fitting football helmet for too many years? 

Riding this weekend?  Heading past your land on 64 in an hour to help a friend and getting out close to home this afternoon for a loop.

That's where your Dad FU'p I would never wear a Doo jacket no way no how. Do me a favor look for a cross on the trail where that young boy died last weekend just west of white lake. 

Head to White Pine Mountain next weekend, no snow in southern Wisco, I may stop by the lake for a few days. If you look they had a very large crowd in ER last night.

Sterne Wins Sweet 16, Goede Takes Champ Friday In Eagle River

snowgoer.com
 7 hours ago

Cover picture for the articleGunnar Sterne earned a front-row starting position in Sunday’s World Championship and Matt Goede grabbed an impressive Pro Champ victory in a thrilling Friday Night Thunder racing program at the Eagle River World Championship Snowmobile Derby on Friday night… and Saturday morning, as racing went very late...

27 minutes ago, Badger** said:

That's where your Dad FU'p I would never wear a Doo jacket no way no how. Do me a favor look for a cross on the trail where that young boy died last weekend just west of white lake. 

Head to White Pine Mountain next weekend, no snow in southern Wisco, I may stop by the lake for a few days. If you look they had a very large crowd in ER last night.

Sterne Wins Sweet 16, Goede Takes Champ Friday In Eagle River

snowgoer.com
 7 hours

Swung by the homestead to check on it for you. The directions were perfect by following your signs.  Thanks for that.  The sign with the silhouette of your baler looks great, your neighbor's waved but there's obviously some weird shit going on back there.

Bad news, someone took off on your sled just as I was driving in.  Got a picture of him though.  Good news, no one has stolen your inflatable yard dragon collection yet.

Let me know if you need me to forward the guy in Carhartts to the Langlade cty sheriff dept. 

;)

IMG_20220115_090734532.jpg

IMG_20220115_112631539.jpg

IMG_20220115_111914008.jpg

IMG_20220115_112150641.jpg

IMG_20220115_112922782.jpg

IMG_20220115_115108056~2.jpg

IMG_20220115_113618562.jpg

IMG_20220115_113651463_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220115_115550307.jpg

IMG_20220115_111823187.jpg

IMG_20220115_111818523.jpg

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Swung by the homestead to check on it for you. The directions were perfect by following your signs.  Thanks for that.  The sign with the silhouette of your baler looks great, your neighbor's waved but there's obviously some weird shit going on back there.

Bad news, someone took off on your sled just as I was driving in.  Got a picture of him though.  Good news, no one has stolen your inflatable yard dragon collection yet.

Let me know if you need me to forward the guy in Carhartts to the Langlade cty sheriff dept. 

;)

My land starts behind Badger Ranch Rd at Badger trail and runs east all the way to the old RR grade and buts up against Joe Tom and Danny's Edelman's land and runs north where it meets the Wolf River. Sorry to say I do not own that house my place is in Summit Lake. Have fun stay right and get home safe<<< Believe it or not I care. 

Badger    

2 hours ago, Badger** said:

My land starts behind Badger Ranch Rd at Badger trail and runs east all the way to the old RR grade and buts up against Joe Tom and Danny's Edelman's land and runs north where it meets the Wolf River. Sorry to say I do not own that house my place is in Summit Lake. Have fun stay right and get home safe<<< Believe it or not I care. 

Badger    

Bullshit, that's your place and your dragons!!!!!

I was just on the opposite side of the river helping an elderly friend.  Hope you enjoyed the photo tour of the homeland.  

:)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Bullshit, that's your place and your dragons!!!!!

I was just on the opposite side of the river helping an elderly friend.  Hope you enjoyed the photo tour of the homeland.  

:)

Badger does seem like a dragon guy.