Check your account email address ×

How Automation is going to redefine what it means to work

• Platinum Contributing Member

We are a long time off replacing humans in many skills.   Construction, mechanical/plumbing contractors, Healthcare, food service (restaurants not fast food), dentistry, most business related jobs just to name a few.   

13 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

This is not new, automation has been replacing human error for many decades already.  

The scale of the displacement and the variety of jobs that will be replaced is new.  

You didn't read the article did you?

4 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

The scale of the displacement and the variety of jobs that will be replaced is new.  

You didn't read the article did you?

Yes, I know the picture.  Most new jobs 10-20 years from now do not exist today, again this is not new.  Still people will adapt or perhaps bringing in all these immigrants isn't such a good idea.

Any yet our Libtard governments are running our schools like its still 1851.  Yes that Libtard Arts degree is going to do you a wealth of good in 2051.

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

Yes, I know the picture.  Most new jobs 10-20 years from now do not exist today, again this is not new.  Still people will adapt or perhaps bringing in all these immigrants isn't such a good idea.

Any yet our Libtard governments are running our schools like its still 1851.  Yes that Libtard Arts degree is going to do you a wealth of good in 2051.

Yep.   Jobs have been being replaced by technology forever. 

One thing these guys never talk about is who should decide what industries can apply advancements in technology and what ones cannot.  

So automation / robots are going to take everyone's job but that's only if Trump doesn't start a nuclear war first and kill off the entire planet.

Some of you are so set on doom and gloom  :lol:

6 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

So automation / robots are going to take everyone's job but that's only if Trump doesn't start a nuclear war first and kill off the entire planet.

Some of you are so set on doom and gloom  :lol:

The best part is when the govt changes the MW it gives incentive for more automation.   They complain about too much automation when unnatural setting of labor rates make it happen even faster than normal.   

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

The best part is when the govt changes the MW it gives incentive for more automation.   They complain about too much automation when unnatural setting of labor rates make it happen even faster than normal.  

I do believe minimum wage should've kept up with inflation at least.

• Gold Member

I think you will see automation to replace all those illegal immigrant jobs.  No white dude is going to go into an orchard and pick apples, trim trees on the pesticide dripping fruit trees.  They need robots in place before trump kicks out all the illegals.

A good friend works financial for a robotic company here in Mass that produces the line of auto vacuum robots. He says every day a few large robots come by his desk and talk to him. The engineers run amuck he said....lol

There are quite a few robotic small companies here that work with MIT.

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Read the article

:lmao:

1 minute ago, motonoggin said:

"We'll just invent new jobs for everyone"

:lol:

No, no you won't.

There will be new jobs invented / created. How many and will it offset the ones lost to automation and robots, who knows

Just now, Skidooski said:

Yeah well my girlfriend wants a Roomba but somehow I still think we'll need to vacuum ourselves. I don't care if it talks to me or not.

They suck.   Don't last.   We've been thru 3 of them and won't buy another.  

Just now, Highmark said:

They suck.   Don't last.   We've been thru 3 of them and won't buy another.

LOL.. That bad eh? Sounds like some customer service jobs have been created from this robot then :lol:

3 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

There will be new jobs invented / created. How many and will it offset the ones lost to automation and robots, who knows

Yea they kinda do know actually

Read the article

Edited by ICEMAN!
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

I do believe minimum wage should've kept up with inflation at least.

If you are going to have it at all I would agree up to some point.  

Keep in mind some statistics show less than 1% of the population is currently on MW.   This doesn't take into account the number of people who work a MW job seasonally or as a 2nd job for a bit of extra income so its probably much less.  

The fight for a higher MW has NOTHING to do with the people actually working MW.   Its for an entire wage increase across the board.   Some proof of this is all the union contracts tied to it.  

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Keep in mind some statistics show less than 1% of the population is currently on MW.   This doesn't take into account the number of people who work a MW job seasonally or as a 2nd job for a bit of extra income so its probably much less.

The fight for a higher MW has NOTHING to do with the people actually working MW.   Its for an entire wage increase across the board.   Some proof of this is all the union contracts tied to it.

Boosting everyone up X amount because minimum wage was adjusted is not going to happen IMO.

14 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

Read the article

:lmao:

You mean the artsy who wrote it with zero real world experience.

I have worked in this field for 30 years, I know what can and can't be automated.

Edited by ArcticCrusher

10 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Smh...

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Exactly, because wages need to rise across the board.