Check your account email address ×

I miss this stuff most ...

Bontz

22 hours ago, Not greg b said:

I see the have moved on from shimming the clutch with pennies 

Was just doing some light reading over in the PC forum and read customers have to PAY to have the 'optional' reflash done if there isn't an engine failure? 

R U Fucking kidding me?

If this is true, that seems to be a pretty big good luck and GO FUCK YOURSELF from Textron to their customers.

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Was just doing some light reading over in the PC forum and read customers have to PAY to have the 'optional' reflash done if there isn't an engine failure? 

R U Fucking kidding me?

If this is true, that seems to be a pretty big good luck and GO FUCK YOURSELF from Textron to their customers.

Like hell that I would waste my time doing that with any sled under warranty then. Let them eat an engine instead of a reflash. 

My guess is that good dealers are going to eat this to keep their customers happy though. 

7 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Like hell that I would waste my time doing that with any sled under warranty then. Let them eat an engine instead of a reflash. 

My guess is that good dealers are going to eat this to keep their customers happy though. 

winter is what, 3 months if we're lucky?  idk about you but I wouldn't want my new sled sitting at a dealer waiting for pistons and jugs and god knows what else during this 'supply chain' fiasco.  good dealers are likely going to eat it for their customers, but Textron not willing to do it under warranty seems downright asinine. 

@favoritos - are you still waiting for engine pieces from last year?

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

winter is what, 3 months if we're lucky?  idk about you but I wouldn't want my new sled sitting at a dealer waiting for pistons and jugs and god knows what else during this 'supply chain' fiasco.  good dealers are likely going to eat it for their customers, but Textron not willing to do it under warranty seems downright asinine. 

I never disagreed with it being asinine and like I said, most dealers will most likely do it for free. I’d be damned to spend my own money to cover their asses though. I bet only yuppie idiots will be paying for this to be done anyway. 

Wait, most of those ride Doo anyway so no worries there. 

If Cat is going to charge for this it would be just plain idiotic.  No bonehead, no matter how incompetent, creates a fix for a problem and then makes customers pay to get the fix.  I hope it’s not true.  

2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Still waiting on parts.  It is partially due to dealer screw up now.  The top end parts arrived, but they found more issues when they threw it back together.  PTO side main started failing and cracked the case.  Crappy deal overall because the dealer should have just ordered a whole motor in the first place.  I get pissed just thinking about the process and time wasted.

I can't entirely blame the manufacturer, but their delays on the remaining parts make me nervous.  These type of delivery times would be season ending if it was my only machine to ride.

I haven't picked up the new sled yet.  I was hoping to pick up both sleds at the same time.

Ironically, I have a whole set of clutches and some other components around just in case.  It isn't my normal practice to stock a whole backup motor.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, favoritos said:

Still waiting on parts.  It is partially due to dealer screw up now.  The top end parts arrived, but they found more issues when they threw it back together.  PTO side main started failing and cracked the case.  Crappy deal overall because the dealer should have just ordered a whole motor in the first place.  I get pissed just thinking about the process and time wasted.

I can't entirely blame the manufacturer, but their delays on the remaining parts make me nervous.  These type of delivery times would be season ending if it was my only machine to ride.

I haven't picked up the new sled yet.  I was hoping to pick up both sleds at the same time.

Ironically, I have a whole set of clutches and some other components around just in case.  It isn't my normal practice to stock a whole backup motor.

Ugh, new engine time imo.   wonder how drastically this revised map changes things.

Wonder if they'd reflash your new sled before delivery... or are some of the 22's after a certain VIN break coming with the reflash already in it?

14 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Ugh, new engine time imo.   wonder how drastically this revised map changes things.

Wonder if they'd reflash your new sled before delivery... or are some of the 22's after a certain VIN break coming with the reflash already in it?

It's getting a new engine.  But, here's where it gets messy.  The top end was shipped and installed.  They found the case issues after it was all together and finally had a chance to fire the engine. 

Maybe a little more diligence on the initial tear down?  Hard to say what they would have found.  It's not my first rodeo with a motor going down.  I shut it down before it locked up, but I knew it had a coolant leak.  That was a big concern and the mechanic thought it was coming from a head gasket.  Pistons and jugs were pretty bad, it may have been possible. 

I think there is a bit of irony with shutting it down right away.  Pretty sure there would have been little question about the bottom end with one more hard pull.

Good question about the reflash.  I've had other sleds in the shop right when advisories came out.  They typically don't send them back out without an update.  This time might be handled differently.  Sounds like it is aimed at sleds that are having issues early.  This one ran pretty good for 2,500 miles.  I would be hard pressed to say it has mapping issues.  The '22 arrived early in Oct.  Have not seen the exact build date.  Reflash or not, it will get a good shakedown run to see how it runs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, favoritos said:

It's getting a new engine.  But, here's where it gets messy.  The top end was shipped and installed.  They found the case issues after it was all together and finally had a chance to fire the engine. 

Maybe a little more diligence on the initial tear down?  Hard to say what they would have found.  It's not my first rodeo with a motor going down.  I shut it down before it locked up, but I knew it had a coolant leak.  That was a big concern and the mechanic thought it was coming from a head gasket.  Pistons and jugs were pretty bad, it may have been possible. 

I think there is a bit of irony with shutting it down right away.  Pretty sure there would have been little question about the bottom end with one more hard pull.

Good question about the reflash.  I've had other sleds in the shop right when advisories came out.  They typically don't send them back out without an update.  This time might be handled differently.  Sounds like it is aimed at sleds that are having issues early.  This one ran pretty good for 2,500 miles.  I would be hard pressed to say it has mapping issues.  The '22 arrived early in Oct.  Have not seen the exact build date.  Reflash or not, it will get a good shakedown run to see how it runs.

Did you ever get a temp warning or possibly experience any snow ingestion?  The Riots on Facebook that burned down from what I recall all seemed to burn up running low speed trails and probably not in ideal conditions for cooling.  A combination of a lean map in low to mid-range and elevated engine temps would certainly be a bad combination.  Keep us posted and thanks for sharing the real information rather than internet speculation. 

:thumbsup: 

• Like 1

No oddball temps and definitely no snow ingestion with mine. 

Those guys that had lean issues fought a combination of bad clutching for the riding and bad riding for the clutching.  The lean spot was already there on the '20 sleds, but nobody hung around those rpms.  Clutching put you at super slow speeds. Some of the '21 slds had injectors go, but those were rare.

I watch temps like a hawk.  I went through years of fighting the cooling battle and this sled ran pretty good.  I even dug back through the data afterword just to see if I missed a temp spike.  Snow ingestion, no way.  Ran lead all day trail riding with bluebird skies.  Only snow dust would have been passing sleds.  Happened at the end of 190 mile run with only stops being gas.

I honestly think mine just got tired and gave up.  It does concern me a bit.  It's not my first one.  I also clutched this one down from stock to ease some stress on the motor.  Out of the box, it loved to top 8,300 rpm.  Parts start flying pretty early if you do that all day long.

I may have a slight medical condition too.  I'm thinking about going to see the Doc.  Something seems to be wrong with my right thumb causing it to clamp down. ;)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, favoritos said:

No oddball temps and definitely no snow ingestion with mine. 

Those guys that had lean issues fought a combination of bad clutching for the riding and bad riding for the clutching.  The lean spot was already there on the '20 sleds, but nobody hung around those rpms.  Clutching put you at super slow speeds. Some of the '21 slds had injectors go, but those were rare.

I watch temps like a hawk.  I went through years of fighting the cooling battle and this sled ran pretty good.  I even dug back through the data afterword just to see if I missed a temp spike.  Snow ingestion, no way.  Ran lead all day trail riding with bluebird skies.  Only snow dust would have been passing sleds.  Happened at the end of 190 mile run with only stops being gas.

I honestly think mine just got tired and gave up.  It does concern me a bit.  It's not my first one.  I also clutched this one down from stock to ease some stress on the motor.  Out of the box, it loved to top 8,300 rpm.  Parts start flying pretty early if you do that all day long.

I may have a slight medical condition too.  I'm thinking about going to see the Doc.  Something seems to be wrong with my right thumb causing it to clamp down. ;)

get it replaced with a big toe :lol:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2068034/James-Byrne-thumb-replaced-big-toe-surgeons.html