Check your account email address ×

Iowa budget surplus more than quadruples to over $1.2 billion

4 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

THey dont waste money. 

Are the property taxes, or vehicle registration fees high?  Do they slap heavy property taxes on out of state residents with second homes?  Government infrastructure isn't free.  There might not be sales tax but I'd assume they get their pound of flesh from somewhere.

• Platinum Contributing Member
17 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

California has a bigger GDP than most 2nd and 3rd world countries.

How much of that tax revenue for any state mentioned for fy 2020/2021 stemmed from sales tax ?

As an example... Where I live 5.5% sales tax on a $60k truck is $3300.  Do you know how many big ticket vehicles and 'toys' were sold in 2020/2021 ?  I'll go with a fuckload... of sales tax. 

Also, this country had a shitload of people not working during the pandemic, so I would anticipate income tax revenue is average or down.

Many of those were not paying much if any in income taxes to begin with.   

20 hours ago, SShooterZ said:

California has a budget surplus of $75 BILLION. Democrat politicians too.

$75B > $1.2B

Better luck next time.

:news:  Add in local and its much worse.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/us-states-with-the-most-debt.html

US States With The Most Debt

Rank State Debt Total (Billions)
1 California $152.80
2 New York $139.20
3 Massachusetts $77.00
4 New Jersey $65.90
5 Illinois $61.80
6 Texas $51.00
7 Pennsylvania $47.50
8 Connecticut $38.80
9 Michigan $33.50
10 Ohio $33.50
Edited by Highmark

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

:news:

1 California $152.80
2 New York $139.20
3 Massachusetts $77.00
4 New Jersey $65.90
5 Illinois $61.80
6 Texas $51.00
7 Pennsylvania $47.50
8 Connecticut $38.80
9 Michigan $33.50
10 Ohio $33.50

California has a $3.1 trillion gdp with a 3.5% growth rate. They’re doing well. 

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Then why all the crying from them?  

I’m only hearing crying from the GOP’ers. Noisy bunch. They complain about California continually. Yet most GOP’ers haven’t traveled more than 75 miles from where they were born. It’s very odd. 

Just now, ActionfigureJoe said:

I’m only hearing crying from the GOP’ers. Noisy bunch. They complain about California continually. Yet most GOP’ers haven’t traveled more than 75 miles from where they were born. It’s very odd. 

Your defense is noted.

1 hour ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Who wants to stick their nose in and change other people's lives more....liberals or conservatives?  :news:

Edited by Highmark

6 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Let’s start with abortion. 

Abortion is about multiple lives....not just the mother.

Is that the best you got?  :lol:  

Edited by Highmark

30 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

No it’s not. 

Yes it is. 

Edited by Highmark

3 hours ago, Highmark said:

:news:  Add in local and its much worse.

1 California $152.80
2 New York $139.20
3 Massachusetts $77.00
4 New Jersey $65.90
5 Illinois $61.80
6 Texas $51.00
7 Pennsylvania $47.50
8 Connecticut $38.80
9 Michigan $33.50
10 Ohio $33.50

From your source: “California is the most indebted state with an outstanding debt of $152.80 billion during the 2019 fiscal year.”

Now do 2020 and 2021. They’ve been dropping. This is the first time in a long time they’ve seen a surplus. I thought we established that. They also have the highest population per state and thus, their debt per capita is $3,800 which is lower than say, Wisconsin at $4,000 per capita. So yes, a staggering amount of debt, but also a staggering population to pay it off.

I’ll never understand why some think state financial management and mismanagement are a single party problem. You have a red state like TN that has done a great job opposite a red state like Alaska that has horrible debt. A state like Nevada, which has been blue as of late and has a Dem Gov has done very well and yet, IL which is run by the blues in Chicago is complete horseshit.

11 minutes ago, SShooterZ said:

From your source: “California is the most indebted state with an outstanding debt of $152.80 billion during the 2019 fiscal year.”

Now do 2020 and 2021. They’ve been dropping. This is the first time in a long time they’ve seen a surplus. I thought we established that. They also have the highest population per state and thus, their debt per capita is $3,800 which is lower than say, Wisconsin at $4,000 per capita. So yes, a staggering amount of debt, but also a staggering population to pay it off.

I’ll never understand why some think state financial management and mismanagement are a single party problem. You have a red state like TN that has done a great job opposite a red state like Alaska that has horrible debt. A state like Nevada, which has been blue as of late and has a Dem Gov has done very well and yet, IL which is run by the blues in Chicago is complete horseshit.

Where did you come up with the debt per capita?

image.thumb.png.72503cb9d3f7c20631deda2494882b73.png

1 minute ago, SShooterZ said:

I think its important to look at the whole picture.   Which party historically has controlled the state (not just the gov.) and yes blue state do trend to be more fiscally irresponsible.   One also has to look at future unfunded liabilities which yes blue states generally have by far the most of. 

Trends are important....I'll give you that however I'm not sure a year or two constitute much of a trend.  

6 hours ago, SShooterZ said:

I’ve done neither. That’s the conversation in your head that’s talking.

Yes, you have 

6 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Careful or he’ll start blathering about Teachers Unions and Teddy Kennedy! 🤣

Aww ! lol jimmah the dumbfuck is making a new friend 

16 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Where did you come up with the debt per capita?

image.thumb.png.72503cb9d3f7c20631deda2494882b73.png

Multiple sources out there. Simple Google search:
(June, 2021) https://www.zippia.com/advice/states-most-least-debt/

(Just says 2021 so not sure how current) https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/debt-by-state

23 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I think its important to look at the whole picture.   Which party historically has controlled the state (not just the gov.) and yes blue state do trend to be more fiscally irresponsible.   One also has to look at future unfunded liabilities which yes blue states generally have by far the most of. 

Trends are important....I'll give you that however I'm not sure a year or two constitute much of a trend.  

They ebb and flow. I don't for one minute believe California is going to somehow become a pillar in state financial management. They do have an impressive GDP though and due to Silicon Valley, I don't see that changing too much. North Dakota for instance was pretty bad until the oil boom there, then their GDP spiked and their population followed which led to more tax dollars and thus a lower tax burden. As goes the oil industry though, it is volatile and their growth as flattened or declined since they exploded 10+ years ago and their future prospects are not as positive. Who knows what this will look like even 5 years from now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Are the property taxes, or vehicle registration fees high?  Do they slap heavy property taxes on out of state residents with second homes?  Government infrastructure isn't free.  There might not be sales tax but I'd assume they get their pound of flesh from somewhere.

Yes prop taxes are high. Or at least those of us who live think so. Someone from a place like NJ would think they are low. We also dont have a state personal income tax or income tax on LLC's. 

My taxes on a 1850 sq ft home on 6.3 acres is about $7200 .

We had a high rooms and meals tax but that was just reduced.

On 10/8/2021 at 5:48 PM, steve from amherst said:

Yes prop taxes are high. Or at least those of us who live think so. Someone from a place like NJ would think they are low. We also dont have a state personal income tax or income tax on LLC's. 

My taxes on a 1850 sq ft home on 6.3 acres is about $7200 .

We had a high rooms and meals tax but that was just reduced.

9 is still high on rooms and meals but i am OK with it and I would bet i eat out more then 90% of the population.  I was in the grocery store Sunday for the first time in 6 weeks.   And still didn't buy anything for dinners just sides for a cookout we were going to.