Check your account email address ×

Dane County Wisconsin. Eliminating the term "inmate"

Just unbelievable!!  Intellectually Elite.

The Dane Co. Sheriff’s Office will be eliminating the term ‘inmate’ from its official vocabulary going forward.

MADISON, Wis. (WMTV) - Declaring “words matter,” the Dane Co. Sheriff’s Office will be eliminating the term ‘inmate’ from its official vocabulary going forward. Sheriff Kalvin Barrett announced the move Monday, explaining the change is designed to “maintain the dignity and respect for all who are involved in our criminal justice system.

Going forward, the Sheriff’s Office people who are incarcerated in Dane Co. will now be referred to as ‘residents’ or ‘those who are in our care.’ Barrett added that his agencies consider titles as important, noting how they prefer the term peace officers to law enforcement officers when describing themselves and their colleagues.

“I view this change in name as a way to humanize those who are within our care,” he said.

Barrett’s decision comes following conversations with his staff and deputies as well as people housed in the Dane Co. jail, as well as those who were recently released. Attending a session with Nehemiah, a Madison-based organization for those re-entering society, Barrett explained he learned how the word inmate can have negative connotations, even to the incarcerated person themselves.

The members of the group, Man-Up, told Barrett during their session that resident was a better term and asked that he use it in the future.

Barrett added that other law enforcement agencies across the country have made similar changes and compared the deprecation of ‘inmate’ to the elimination of an older term, ‘convict.’

Still inmate or convict in my vocabulary and that is what I will use!!

what the hell is going on with our country?

Is it even our country anymore?

Some good conversations this past weekend at local car show about state of our country!Top on list is the job situation.Small businesses throwing in towel due to no workers!!

if they do find help it’s just a body!

come to work when they feel like it!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, racer254 said:

If this is not a big deal, then why do it?  Why are guys like you, mc, and all the other little sjw's constantly pushing this type of non issue?

Given the shitty job the American correctional system does with “inmates”  I see no issue trying something different. 

1 hour ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Given the shitty job the American correctional system does with “inmates”  I see no issue trying something different. 

Changing names of inmates is not TRYING something different you dim bulb.

• Haha 1

Ahahahhahahahhahhahbahahahah!!!!!!!!!  OMG!

I don’t know what’s fucking funnier.  “Residents” so these convicts and “maintain their dignity” or the fact that SpinCry doesn’t think it’s anything funny at all.

:lol:

7 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Ahahahhahahahhahhahbahahahah!!!!!!!!!  OMG!

I don’t know what’s fucking funnier.  “Residents” so these convicts and “maintain their dignity” or the fact that SpinCry doesn’t think it’s anything funny at all.

Oh, he thinks it's "trying something different"  This is the mentality of some of these people.

Mental disease I’m starting to believe.

Wirds do matter, and the lefties knowing this are tryingbto mske things softer, more okay, sbd akso making definition change.

They are even changing deginition if infastructure.

Why are they doing this ?

The old, “if you can’t win within the rules, change the rules.”

The mire tgey do it and it seemingly works, the mire they do it.

Dem party wen’t from pain in the azz but livable with, to pretty much full on brain eaten by ameba  zombies.

Can you imagine the meeting where these mental elites came up with this?  I guarantee there were a couple of people in the back just laughing, and probably in disbelief wondering how a few of these people are in the positions they are in.

58 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Can you imagine the meeting where these mental elites came up with this?  I guarantee there were a couple of people in the back just laughing, and probably in disbelief wondering how a few of these people are in the positions they are in.

You’re the resident expert on prisons and rehab. 

1 hour ago, racer254 said:

Have you ever been to Madison?  I have some liberal friends that consider Madison too liberal.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the word inmate.

So I guess when people start associating the word residents with people in prison, we'll just have to change it from that, too.  And so on.  Fucking brilliant holy mother fucking fucker how much soy do you have to drink to get to this level? 

Even if you sat around all day looking for things to pretend being offended by, I still don't see how you ever get to inmates.  

Fucking sheriffs more worried about prisoners than the general population.  Guarantee no inmates even give a fuck either!  You think they care, they're locked the fuck up!  This is total virtue signal but I don't even know who is sympathetic to this one.  Fucking way off the mark.  

4 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Fucking sheriffs more worried about prisoners than the general population.  Guarantee no inmates even give a fuck either!  You think they care, they're locked the fuck up!  This is total virtue signal but I don't even know who is sympathetic to this one.  Fucking way off the mark.  

Bingo.  Not one person incarcerated gives two fucks about being called an inmate.  Instead it is some feel good move to they can act like they are "getting something done" or as spin says, "trying something new"  Bunch of fucking no minds.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

You’re the resident expert on prisons and rehab. 

Don't worry, I know you are the type of "expert" that would just be all on board with this type of an idea.  This and probably paint walls with rainbows and praise yourself as you did society a huge favor.

5 minutes ago, mnstang said:

I don't even know who is sympathetic to this one.  Fucking way off the mark.  

I'm reasonably empathetic and understanding about most issues, but now the "words matter" applies to criminals?

Rufucking kidding me?  What did we call them before we called them inmates?

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I'm reasonably empathetic and understanding about most issues, but now the "words matter" applies to criminals?

Rufucking kidding me?  What did we call them before we called them inmates?

Prisoners?  I just think it will never end.  If inmate has a negative connotation, it's for a reason.  So your new word will get that same negative connotation in short order as soon as people adjust to their new language.  And the next one and the next one.

Reminds me of a couple years ago, when the U of M police made the policy that they will stop using race as an identifier in suspects and suspect hunts etc.  For example, some black guy steals a purse, now in the description sent out to other officers and whatever university emails or other channels, they can't say the race even if it's known.  They are forbidden to use race in all descriptions.

This was done because supposedly it was making black males on campus uncomfortable.  Where do you stop with that logic?  I don't think they should say male then.  And then my height better be excluded too.  Come to think of it, they shouldn't say it was a human either.

Fucking regressives.

These fucking people.  And I don't blame it on this boomer generation making these dumbfuck, the parents of this fucked up generation are to blame.

This saying always holds true.

Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times

56 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Prisoners?  I just think it will never end.  If inmate has a negative connotation, it's for a reason.  So your new word will get that same negative connotation in short order as soon as people adjust to their new language.  And the next one and the next one.

Reminds me of a couple years ago, when the U of M police made the policy that they will stop using race as an identifier in suspects and suspect hunts etc.  For example, some black guy steals a purse, now in the description sent out to other officers and whatever university emails or other channels, they can't say the race even if it's known.  They are forbidden to use race in all descriptions.

This was done because supposedly it was making black males on campus uncomfortable.  Where do you stop with that logic?  I don't think they should say male then.  And then my height better be excluded too.  Come to think of it, they shouldn't say it was a human either.

Fucking regressives.

These fucking people.  And I don't blame it on this boomer generation making these dumbfuck, the parents of this fucked up generation are to blame.

Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times

Fear not, we're going to be minority in a decade or so and then you can demand the same treatment.  

I for one look forward to my Irish potato famine reparation payments.

1 hour ago, mnstang said:

Fucking regressives.

Police describe the suspect as “human-like”.  If anyone sees anybody matching this description, please call 911.

25 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Fear not, we're going to be minority in a decade or so and then you can demand the same treatment.  

I for one look forward to my Irish potato famine reparation payments.

History has shown that no race has ever been as brutal as the White European when united for any cause.  The right amount of brains, ruthlessness and insolence.

History has shown other for the African race.