Check your account email address ×

Snowmobile scrapyard in MN???

31 minutes ago, Roosting said:

I think you will see a correction when people get back to there regular lives and stop playing on ebay all day. Once the fly buy's are gone pricing will go back to normal levels. Just my opinion could be wrong.

We're seeing some of that already, but many, including myself, don't think most things will fall back to the levels they were pre-pandemic. Referring to baseball cards, especially the 52 Topps Mickey Mantle. During the pandemic 2 PSA 8's sold for 1.6 and 1.8 mil then recent sales a couple/few months ago, those cards sold for less than half that.

That, however, is not conclusive as many things come into play, like centering, sheen, etc, as all PSA 8's are not equal, especially in the "eye appeal" category.

Just recently, another PSA 8, which was almost perfectly centered (hard to find) sold for 2.2 million so maybe the lull, post pandemic slide didn't last long? Lots of other factors, including investors getting involved, etc, might be pumping things up some, but like I said above, so far they haven't slid to pre-pandemic levels.

Almost forgot, the Dope clothing company owner, Rob Gough, purchased a PSA 9 for 5.2 million during the pandemic. Imo, that was a smart move on his part as the attention it likely brought to his clothing company more than paid for that purchase.

https://www.si.com/mlb/video/2021/01/15/rob-gough-purchases-1952-mickey-mantle 

Edited by irv

1 hour ago, irv said:

We're seeing some of that already, but many, including myself, don't think most things will fall back to the levels they were pre-pandemic. Referring to baseball cards, especially the 52 Topps Mickey Mantle. During the pandemic 2 PSA 8's sold for 1.6 and 1.8 mil then recent sales a couple/few months ago, those cards sold for less than half that.

That, however, is not conclusive as many things come into play, like centering, sheen, etc, as all PSA 8's are not equal, especially in the "eye appeal" category.

Just recently, another PSA 8, which was almost perfectly centered (hard to find) sold for 2.2 million so maybe the lull, post pandemic slide didn't last long? Lots of other factors, including investors getting involved, etc, might be pumping things up some, but like I said above, so far they haven't slid to pre-pandemic levels.

Almost forgot, the Dope clothing company owner, Rob Gough, purchased a PSA 9 for 5.2 million during the pandemic. Imo, that was a smart move on his part as the attention it likely brought to his clothing company more than paid for that purchase.

https://www.si.com/mlb/video/2021/01/15/rob-gough-purchases-1952-mickey-mantle 

Ya for sure. This market is very cyclical though with no rime or reason to it many times. Just buy low sell high. LoL

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roosting said:

Ya for sure. This market is very cyclical though with no rime or reason to it many times. Just buy low sell high. LoL

With current inflated prices, imo, it certainly isn't the time to buy, but then again, like that recent Mantle sale, those that bought those 2 after the slide are certainly sitting pretty right now. Like the stock market, a lot of speculation and guess work comes into play in the collectables market, and as many likely know, being right all the time is impossible to do.  

1 hour ago, irv said:

With current inflated prices, imo, it certainly isn't the time to buy, but then again, like that recent Mantle sale, those that bought those 2 after the slide are certainly sitting pretty right now. Like the stock market, a lot of speculation and guess work comes into play in the collectables market, and as many likely know, being right all the time is impossible to do.  

There has been a pretty extended time for lower prices from the pre 2008 high's so it was inevitable to come back. Just to what extent the come back would be and how long. I'm sure there are many who are just waiting for demand to peak before getting back in the buy/sell game to be able to recover what they payed at the peak.

15 minutes ago, Roosting said:

There has been a pretty extended time for lower prices from the pre 2008 high's so it was inevitable to come back. Just to what extent the come back would be and how long. I'm sure there are many who are just waiting for demand to peak before getting back in the buy/sell game to be able to recover what they payed at the peak.

Looking at some of those prices pre-2008, some still haven't fully recovered, (cards) even during this pandemic. I can only assume things were hyped like crazy back then as I wasn't in the game? 

2 hours ago, irv said:

Looking at some of those prices pre-2008, some still haven't fully recovered, (cards) even during this pandemic. I can only assume things were hyped like crazy back then as I wasn't in the game? 

I think it was more that it was an emerging market to some and everyone thought prices were going to go for ever as this shit was " rare" buy now to cash in later. Still applies to a point but when you get the big payers involved it affects prices for the average guy.

14 minutes ago, Roosting said:

I think it was more that it was an emerging market to some and everyone thought prices were going to go for ever as this shit was " rare" buy now to cash in later. Still applies to a point but when you get the big payers involved it affects prices for the average guy.

I believe that is part of what is going on today as well? Big investors with lots of money purchasing up cards at a hectic pace (I assume other collectables as well?) inflating the prices exponentially. Lots of other angles/thoughts about this too which I also believe hold water. Currently, although I don't know how popular or successful it is going, and that is, investors, (as many as want to buy in), just like stock, buy a share with a card or cards. You never get to hold it, just buy a share in a big card and hope the value increases. Others, who are filthy rich, charge membership fees so one can follow them on twitter and the like to seek advice, which also, of course pumps those cards up they are touting. It seems crazy to me, and a scam, but who am I to judge? 

2 hours ago, irv said:

I believe that is part of what is going on today as well? Big investors with lots of money purchasing up cards at a hectic pace (I assume other collectables as well?) inflating the prices exponentially. Lots of other angles/thoughts about this too which I also believe hold water. Currently, although I don't know how popular or successful it is going, and that is, investors, (as many as want to buy in), just like stock, buy a share with a card or cards. You never get to hold it, just buy a share in a big card and hope the value increases. Others, who are filthy rich, charge membership fees so one can follow them on twitter and the like to seek advice, which also, of course pumps those cards up they are touting. It seems crazy to me, and a scam, but who am I to judge? 

Ya it has gotten all fucked up by people who do shit with zero regard for $$$$. They want it now and will pay.

it's only valuable when 2 people want it. LoL

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Polaris 550 said:

Hoarder of sleds. 

Harlan owns one of, if not the largest sled salvage yard in the US.

7 hours ago, Sled_Hed said:

Harlan has some cool stuff.

Yes, and it is pretty much all for sale now!

5 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Cool collection. It’s insane the amount of time some of these huge collectors probably have into these collections. I can’t imagine the hours they spent searching for all this stuff.

He has a huge sled and cycle salvage yard and would buy sleds all over the country.  He used to buy dealers and performance shops going out of business too.

• Like 2