Jump to content

2010 Sno Pro 500 - stage 2


Recommended Posts

Time has passed and my cherry original 600 mile 2010 bought in March 2017 now has 5074 miles and 214 hours on the clock, has all the updates and improvements to keep it 'budget minded fun' but is due for a deep dive to assure reliability, remain a super affordable runner and get a few minor budget conscious upgrades and I'm a bit conflicted about how I want to approach the next step and not lose anything I thoroughly enjoy about how great these sleds are 'stock'. 

So, here's what I'm considering to freshen it up, pep it up, and keep it lively, fun and affordable for myself, wife, daughter and friends to last over the next few years.

Fox Zero Pro X skid shocks - acquired and will be sending to Mike Carver in the next few weeks for a refresh and XC valving, have better torsions and will likely add Hygear dual rate center spring similar to the spring change I've already made for better ride in, soft ride and deep hit absortion.
Fox Zero Pro X ski shocks - these will take some time to find and as good as Evolve's might be I'm a firm believer in being able to ride home on the springs.  Will also change to dual rate to match my current non-stock green ski springs.

Everything else suspension, C&A RZ's ski, Woody's executive runner wise, studded Cobra, sway bar and my lowered settings stays the same, because it already works very well.

Engine is due for a deep inspection, still runs well, starts on the second pull cold but smokes a bit more than it used to and is a bit fussy on warm starts - plan to pull Y-pipe (to inspect for cracks) and get a borescope inside the cylinders for a good inspection.  If abnormal wear is found will pull jugs and see what's happening.  Have no issue replacing top end and pondering a trail porting job from Hooper, Fett or Speedwerx.  Check pipe completely which were known to crack.  Might get Y-pipe and Pipe ceramic coated.  Tentative goal is to keep running 87 Octane (budget minded), no fuel controller or gadgetry, get another modest 5-10hp and maintain that Suzuki 500 durability.

Clutching will be dependent upon engine modifications and primary wear.  Need to remove, disassemble, fully inspect and alter according to mods if changes are made.  Will revert back to Gold/Black spring in the secondary and go back to 40 ramp once everything checks out and run the stock belt and gearing.  

There's probably more I'm not thinking about but this sled has been so good to me, my family and friends that I honestly don't see myself parting with it... ever.

So, for my interweb friends that have moved on from their Sno Pro's that I know still have a special tiny little place in their hearts for this sled... what do you think?

@mnstang @taperk600 @fortune46x  and anyone else I may have missed, because PBR #5 :) 


P.S. trying to figure out why the part # for the 2010 Sno Pro exhaust manifold is different than the 2011/12/13/14 ???  all of which are D-Con from Cat.

    

likely to be edited...



  

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
Link to post
Share on other sites

HESuE fucking chirst@!!!!  @ckf If I ask if we can ban somenody for long posts...I mean...wtf.....give SSFB a strong Bartles and James and let fly!!  LOL

OP  fuck off.  butm pul  the CA's stick some shit on there and wave goodbye;  IT's a good good time for resale and for those that know what that SP os all about...it should move.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2021 at 6:36 AM, Zambroski said:

It just occurred to me that this is in a "rules" forum.  So, that's weird but.....it also means this forum is a "no bashing/sarcasm" safe place.

 

 

were we hitting the crack pipe a bit early last night?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

were we hitting the crack pipe a bit early last night?

LOL...I don't even remember posting that.  :lol: 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Zambroski said:

LOL...I don't even remember posting that.  :lol: 

 

little too much Chardonnay?   :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

little too much Chardonnay?   :)

Something like that....and Yada, Yada, Yada...I feel like shit today.  :lol: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Something like that....and Yada, Yada, Yada...I feel like shit today.  :lol: 

good.  :)

take an asprin ya bully.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Eating them like they were emmaMs!  

this thread is starting off... strangely.  :lol2:

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked my port job/head cut from fett and they have a nice affordable primary clutch setup to match up with it to reduce your time screwing around and it's very trail friendly.  You may want to call them and ask about it I'm not sure they're still doing it.

They're good solid sleds, nothing wrong with keeping ONE around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, mnstang said:

I liked my port job/head cut from fett and they have a nice affordable primary clutch setup to match up with it to reduce your time screwing around and it's very trail friendly.  You may want to call them and ask about it I'm not sure they're still doing it.

They're good solid sleds, nothing wrong with keeping ONE around.

lol - I see what you did there.  honestly if I had the space I'd probably add a 2012 & 2014 to the fleet. 

maybe I have a problem...  :lol:

 

edit: and a 2016 ZR 4000 RR :lmao:

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes I still kick myself.. It was spring... 17'? And Heinens was selling brand new 2015 zr4000rr's for 5799.

Fuck, they're still going for that much used and beat after 4-5 years!  I think I had my 500 then so I couldn't justify having another one.  But what a deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Sometimes I still kick myself.. It was spring... 17'? And Heinens was selling brand new 2015 zr4000rr's for 5799.

Fuck, they're still going for that much used and beat after 4-5 years!  I think I had my 500 then so I couldn't justify having another one.  But what a deal.

I hear that man, the nice thing with the RR's was you got the premium shocks in the skid and you can still buy any size windshields you want for them today.  That said, look at what you just said - $9300 & 9600 MSRP/$5800 leftover and they want $9K for a Blast now?   The 500 powered sleds really were a bargain if one could get past the entire '85hp is a kids sled' mentality.  

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

lol - I see what you did there.  honestly if I had the space I'd probably add a 2012 & 2014 to the fleet. 

maybe I have a problem...  :lol:

 

edit: and a 2016 ZR 4000 RR :lmao:

i'm up to 3 now.  let me know how you make out with your doc and find out if they're taking on new patients.:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hayward said:

i'm up to 3 now.  let me know how you make out with your doc and find out if they're taking on new patients.:lol:

at least we're not hoarding F7's - there's still hope for us.  :lol2:

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I hear that man, the nice thing with the RR's was you got the premium shocks in the skid and you can still buy any size windshields you want for them today.  That said, look at what you just said - $9300 & 9600 MSRP/$5800 leftover and they want $9K for a Blast now?   The 500 powered sleds really were a bargain if one could get past the entire '85hp is a kids sled' mentality.  

Times change, everything is more expensive now.  The blast also has estart (puke) and reverse standard.  But yeah, those 4000rr's were killer and for 5800 brand new, what a deal.  They had good shocks all around and the real team clutches and I think the race skid, they were a race sled, unlike all the other RR's.  The irony is that the guys that think 85hp 500 isn't enough, are the slow riders.  I still like the blast concept, but I am a bit soured by some of the reports of engine issues.  A one year warranty always used to be fine with cats, I've never needed it.  But now hearing about engine stuff and a one year warranty, that's not good.  That's one thing with the 500 zuke.. you NEVER had to worry about the motor.  But to be fair the zr blast is not 9k like you said it's like 7700.  I still think it's very fair.  Cutting off one cylinder doesn't really save a ton of money.   You save a jug, piston, injector, head, spark plug.. and people think it should be half the price of an 800 sled.  But yeah I'd take a new 4000RR over one, fuck yeah bud.

As I said in another post somewhere, I think the big downward turn for cat was when they split with Suzuki.  Not because the ctec is bad, but I think they are just spread too thin now.  They never had to worry about motors before, that was COVERED, so they could just focus on the chassis.  Now they're spread too thin.  There is such a thing as being too busy and too much going on for their size/resources and I think we're seeing it right now.  It's like they can't dedicate any resources to the ZR trail sleds, they're tied up with other stuff apparently..

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

at least we're not hoarding F7's - there's still hope for us.  :lol2:

I'm actually looking at one now with an f7 transplant....:guzzle:

I promise after that, i'll quit.  I swear.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, mnstang said:

Times change, everything is more expensive now.  The blast also has estart (puke) and reverse standard.  But yeah, those 4000rr's were killer and for 5800 brand new, what a deal.  They had good shocks all around and the real team clutches and I think the race skid, they were a race sled, unlike all the other RR's.  The irony is that the guys that think 85hp 500 isn't enough, are the slow riders.  I still like the blast concept, but I am a bit soured by some of the reports of engine issues.  A one year warranty always used to be fine with cats, I've never needed it.  But now hearing about engine stuff and a one year warranty, that's not good.  That's one thing with the 500 zuke.. you NEVER had to worry about the motor.  But to be fair the zr blast is not 9k like you said it's like 7700.  I still think it's very fair.  Cutting off one cylinder doesn't really save a ton of money.   You save a jug, piston, injector, head, spark plug.. and people think it should be half the price of an 800 sled.  But yeah I'd take a new 4000RR over one, fuck yeah bud.

As I said in another post somewhere, I think the big downward turn for cat was when they split with Suzuki.  Not because the ctec is bad, but I think they are just spread too thin now.  They never had to worry about motors before, that was COVERED, so they could just focus on the chassis.  Now they're spread too thin.  There is such a thing as being too busy and too much going on for their size/resources and I think we're seeing it right now.  It's like they can't dedicate any resources to the ZR trail sleds, they're tied up with other stuff apparently..

 

sure - everything is, but if you have a keen sense of value and realistic expectations (imo) a used ZR 4000 RR 'right now' is still a far better value and bang for the buck than a B-Last in any trim.  my opinion of the B-Last is likely a bit soured likely because frankly they've yet to produce a model I'd care to pay for and Catextron has seemingly been abandoning the 600 market since they took the reigns, which I have a difficult time wrapping my head around as it's the most trustworthy, consistent engine in their entire stable.  not to beat a dead horse (here goes) why not have a 600 Blast trail sled, or still offer a 129" 600 trail sled other than the RR or a base model Riot?  frankly I feel it's downright idiotic on their part and it's apparent to me there are no longer enthusiasts running Arctic Cat.  bean counters and suits living in Augusta Georgia, more happy to cash a paycheck than go riding in inclimite weather.

but, getting back on topic I can't think of more than a handful of times on the type of trails I typically ride where a Sno Pro or (since we've expanded the conversation) a ZR 4000 RR is less than adequate.  getting back to the initial discussion I'd like to find a pair of Zero Pro X front shocks and someone I'm comfortable sending my jugs to for a trail porting job before next winter.       

20 hours ago, hayward said:

I'm actually looking at one now with an f7 transplant....:guzzle:

I promise after that, i'll quit.  I swear.

good god man, to be blunt - most of the F7 conversions to be frank are complete cobbled piles of shit and very few things work properly that you've become accustomed to.  Frankensleds.  one reason I wasn't afraid of the 720 was the fact that most of everything revolving around the engine was stock - no wiring issues, the gauge works properly, no carbs or nonsense to deal with.  given the same $ I'd buy a 2010/2011 XC race sled that hasn't been fucked up first... eight days of the week.  I know for a fact what Greg B. had into his to do his F7 conversion properly back when they were new including a custom made wiring harness so everything worked and the best suspension $ could buy at the time - and it was close to what a new VR1 840 costs.  so my ? is - do you really want to own something some schmuck cobbled together with parts you can no longer get - even used if you are lucky?  when these sleds come up for sale, the vast majority of the time they are piles of shit done by people with no $ who want to ride wheelies and look cool - or as Gene Wilder so eloquently said...

 

 

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
Link to post
Share on other sites

I know what you're saying with the blast vs 4000, but you cannot compare new to used.  I mean, you can, for yourself, but it's not a valid or fair comparison and you could do that for every single used sled out there and you'd never buy new.  A 4000 is 5-6 years old.. you can not compare that to anything brand new.  New things cost more for a reason.

And yeah I wouldn't touch anyone's mod shit project.  I only buy stock unmolested shit whether used or new.

Also, I'm sure they will still be offering an r xc, it may not be out yet but I'm sure at some point details will come out

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mnstang said:

I know what you're saying with the blast vs 4000, but you cannot compare new to used.  I mean, you can, for yourself, but it's not a valid or fair comparison and you could do that for every single used sled out there and you'd never buy new.  A 4000 is 5-6 years old.. you can not compare that to anything brand new.  New things cost more for a reason.

And yeah I wouldn't touch anyone's mod shit project.  I only buy stock unmolested shit whether used or new.

Also, I'm sure they will still be offering an r xc, it may not be out yet but I'm sure at some point details will come out

the 2015/2016 RR 4000 isn't a huge departure from the 2022 models because... Procross

big concern I have with possibly buying a Procross is that I've read the hood is nearly impossible to get off.

 

loling.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

It could be the exact same machine but the fact it's been used for 5-6 years, is obviously going to reduce the value significantly compared to the same machine that's brand new.  Me personally I'd value a 6 year old used sled at well under half the cost of brand new.  And you're comparing this value to a brand new machine.  Apples and oranges.

Why do I have to explain this.

I'm getting that ACTR feeling.  Fuck

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mnstang said:

I know what you're saying with the blast vs 4000, but you cannot compare new to used.  I mean, you can, for yourself, but it's not a valid or fair comparison and you could do that for every single used sled out there and you'd never buy new.  A 4000 is 5-6 years old.. you can not compare that to anything brand new.  New things cost more for a reason.

And yeah I wouldn't touch anyone's mod shit project.  I only buy stock unmolested shit whether used or new.

Also, I'm sure they will still be offering an r xc, it may not be out yet but I'm sure at some point details will come out

Not locking into anything hoping for a R-XC for local riding.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, mnstang said:

It could be the exact same machine but the fact it's been used for 5-6 years, is obviously going to reduce the value significantly compared to the same machine that's brand new.  Me personally I'd value a 6 year old used sled at well under half the cost of brand new.  And you're comparing this value to a brand new machine.  Apples and oranges.

Why do I have to explain this.

I'm getting that ACTR feeling.  Fuck

lmao - we've a pretty similar mindset for the most part, but I honestly cannot for the life of me find any real 'value' I'd be willing to pay for in the B-last models unlike a 4000 RR.  

this is nothing like ACTR as no one asked an idiotic question without also adding what type of machine they are attempting to fix or what due diligence they've already done.  no one on this thread has suggested replacing a TSS or replacing the magneto.   :lol: 

12 minutes ago, Icecube said:

Not locking into anything hoping for a R-XC for local riding.

solid ride they are and with luck you'll find one that wasn't beat and put up wet or 'modified' as they are solid stone stock.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

I will bring my nitrous bottle with me next week. We will make that 500 perrr

don't stop there, pack the entire Uhaul and gtfo of that town.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...