Check your account email address ×

Opinions on campers.

Buying a new camper and would like some feedback from those in the know. My choices are:

Grand Design Solitude

Cardinal Luxury

Alliance Paradigm

Jayco North Point

All are floorplans that have a large bathroom and are similarly priced within a few thousand retail. Curious about opinions especially from those who might have owned one of these.

If I wouldn't have gotten a sweet deal on a Montana....I was going with the Solitude....buddy from Montana has a North Point and it's been very problematic lots of plumbing issues....shoddy workmanship. All fixed under warranty.

I had heard Jayco was bought out by a conglomerate and quality of workmanship is fair at best. The Cardinal has lots of good features standard but doesn't have valve levers inside the docking station. Kind of a big deal at that price point.

4 minutes ago, J. Jackson said:

I had heard Jayco was bought out by a conglomerate and quality of workmanship is fair at best. The Cardinal has lots of good features standard but doesn't have valve levers inside the docking station. Kind of a big deal at that price point.

There 2 main rv company's 

Forest river

And Thor industries

They own mostly every make.

Thor owns Jayko

Edited by Dave

23 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Hard to go wrong with anything made by Northwood.  Pretty good 4 season camper.  Arctic Fox is their best line.

https://northwoodmfg.com

I'll second that...one a few that the big 2 haven't bought out yet....I looked at Arctic Fox Truck camper a while back....very well made but super pricey...I settled on a Bigfoot used. 

24 minutes ago, Dave said:

I'll second that...one a few that the big 2 haven't bought out yet....I looked at Arctic Fox Truck camper a while back....very well made but super pricey...I settled on a Bigfoot used. 

I wish they had the floorplan that I'm looking for. Rear bath front living. The Alliance Paradigm and the Solitudes are real nice.

• Gold Member
23 minutes ago, Dave said:

I had a 30 ft Arctic Fox travel trailer I semi full timed in for 3 years in the northwest all 4 seasons.  They are quality!!!  But pricey.  D and D RV out of Helena MT has killer prices on them or did when I bought.

10 minutes ago, J. Jackson said:

I wish they had the floorplan that I'm looking for. Rear bath front living. The Alliance Paradigm and the Solitudes are real nice.

Honestly it's a crapshoot these days for quality on most campers....they pump them out so fast.

Solitude has a nice front living room rear bedroom 

Edited by Dave
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

We love our Grand Design. It’s just an Imagine but it’s WORLDS above the two Forest River pieces of shit that we owned before it. 

68E1C5D0-5CE1-4B50-9895-261550438145.jpeg

Nice!

Edited by Dave

1 minute ago, Dave said:

True story

Peace work ftw!

The airstream I had was a solid built unit. Lots of little shit went wrong though. I’ve been sniffing around an airstream atlas. Nice unit on a Mercedes chassis. Currently everything has been sorted out.

For now.

Wait a week and something will either start on fire, leak, stink, or just stop working. 

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

We love our Grand Design. It’s just an Imagine but it’s WORLDS above the two Forest River pieces of shit that we owned before it. 

68E1C5D0-5CE1-4B50-9895-261550438145.jpeg

What did you find that was so much better? 

4 minutes ago, J. Jackson said:

I don't at this time but I own a car lot with a couple of 1 ton single wheel. The tongue weights are around 2400 lbs for what I'm looking at.

Oh you'll be fine a srw....mine had a 2860 tw 13300 dw....I pulled it with a srw 1 ton.

I'm looking for a triple axle toyhauler now.

7 hours ago, J. Jackson said:

What did you find that was so much better? 

Build quality is better. Better options. Better materials. Better dealer support (that’s not exactly brand specific though I guess) and better factory support, from those that I’ve talked to that have needed it so far. My wife even sees these things and she is typically oblivious to all of that sort of stuff. I’ve been in the automotive repair business for 25 years and I’m really picky about anything mechanical. 

We own a 29' Premier (travel trailer) and even though it's "higher end" from our previous camper ... they're all pretty much junk in the grand scheme of things.  I mean, don't get me wrong ... we really like our camper ... but the quality and overall manufacturing are not exactly the gold standard.  Hopefully you're either somewhat handy and can address issues as they come up, or buy from a dealer with a good service department that won't rake you over the coals if you need something outside of warranty.  Of the four you listed, the Jayco is the one that I'd say is on the lower end of the spectrum.  At least if it's anything like the 2 Jayco campers my camping buddies have owned (seal issues way too early, plumbing issues, water heater issues).

These campers are definitely a great way to spend time away from home with family and friends - but they can sure piss a guy off when there's problems.