Check your account email address ×

Chuck Yeager passed away

Kivalo

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

True American Icon and Hero..RIP

Agreed.   RIP Gen Yeager.  

From his website.

I was promoted to Brig. Gen in 1969, was assigned to Germany as Vice Commander of 17th AF. In 1971 I was sent to Pakistan to fly with their Air Force for the war against India. I flew the front cockpit in every airplane that I flew in for 60 years. Last one was an F-15E in October 2002. I flew every airplane in the Air Force inventory including the World War II inventory and others of Germany, France, England, Japan, Sweden, and Russia, among others. You may be interested to know that I took my F-4 Wing to Korea during the Pueblo flap in 1968. We took 75 F-4D’s from North Carolina to Honolulu (14 hours), 2 hour lay-over, then to Korea (another 14 hours) with no ground or air aborts.

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

Either him or Bob Hoover. :bc:

Chuck and Bob were in the same unit during the war they were tasked with retrieving German fighters at the end to send back to the states for examination. Yeager was getting planes that he knew little or nothing about with all of the gauges and controls in german and flying them to England. For a test pilot from that time period to die of old age is quite extraordinary.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 4:51 PM, Carlos Danger said:

One of my favorite places...

That looks like the National Air Museum at Wright Patt in Ohio. If so I was just there this year in Jan. with my two boys, my father and an uncle. Amazing place and a must see for anyone interested in the evolution of flight.

2 hours ago, Skidude600 said:

That looks like the National Air Museum at Wright Patt in Ohio. If so I was just there this year in Jan. with my two boys, my father and an uncle. Amazing place and a must see for anyone interested in the evolution of flight.

when i took my daughter out to Kent for her orientation I used it as my opportunity to finally get there.  Very cool place

fieryginger.jpg

bocks.jpg

belle.jpg

My first time back since the late 70's as a kid. Made a point to go since my youngest was leaving for basic later that month and I knew it was going to be a while before he was home. Little did I know covid would rear its ugly head. Haven't seen him since Jan. and probably won't for a while longer since he is overseas.