Check your account email address ×

need a new laptop for the wife

• Platinum Contributing Member

Nothing awesome , 

affordable 

it's going to be a toy. checking email, shopping , playing solitare.

She's not big into pictures or at least editing and shit. But one she has now is slow . 

And recomendations ?

Computers for me are just a throwaway item. I always buy cheap ones ...the last one I got at Walmart for like two hundred bucks or maybe even under. It is an HP

I've had my current one for about 2 years with no issues. Only use it for surfing the web and paying online bills.

I actually use my phone more than I do my computer I think.

Edited by ViperGTS/Z1

For a cheap computer I am a huge fan of my chromebook.   fast, cheap and screen quality is pretty decent.  Can't remember which model Lenovo it is.  I like it for travelling as it takes the same charger as my phone and tablet do.  

If she is into the apple eco system i'd just suck up the Macbook.  There has been some decent deals on the previous gen out there lately.  After she got used to it the wife loves hers.   Now shes got the phone, ipad and macbook.  I'll get her the Apple watch for Xmas and she will be a full out applce cult drone. 

7 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Nothing awesome , 

affordable 

it's going to be a toy. checking email, shopping , playing solitare.

She's not big into pictures or at least editing and shit. But one she has now is slow . 

And recomendations ?

Either a cheap laptop(such as a Chromebook) or a iPad.

Does she like any OS better than another?

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

if she uses an Android phone then a chromebook  for something cheap to do what you described.  

Yes , phone is android. DOes chromebook come with any software. Last POS computer I bought was cheap, but then had to drop anoth$100 to make it run.

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

Yes , phone is android. DOes chromebook come with any software. Last POS computer I bought was cheap, but then had to drop anoth$100 to make it run.

Chromebooks operating system is google Chrome.  It does everything in the cloud like her phone with just a bit of onboard storage.    Because of that it runs quick, starts instantly.

For internet it uses chrome and will sync with Chrome on her phone.  For word processing or spreadsheets googledocs will do it.  For photo storage Google photos which will sync with her phone.  For file storage google drive which will also sync with her phone.     You can download apps like the phone as well.  I run some things through their apps and others through the internet.  In my case I also have 2 Android tablets so those also sync with everything I do.  

You prob got sold Microsoft Office for $100 so it would do some of the normal stuff most do with their computers but with google docs it's not needed.  I have not run office on a personal PC in 7-8 years.  

• Thanks 1

My family room has a clear demarcation between OS ecosystems

on my side I have my Pixel phone,  chromebook and 2 android tablets(1 in the living room 1 in my bathroom)

on the wifes side of the room it's a macbook,  phone and ipad.  

Personally i don't like the tablet as a replacement for the keyboard of laptop even with the keyboards you can get for the tablets.  I use the tablet to read mostly along with some apps,  the laptop for youtube(since it runs ad blocker) and arguing here and the phone for emails and phone calls when at home. in the course of a normal night I use all 3.  

3 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Shop for Chromebooks | Staples

ANy of these cheapies worth it ?

pretty sure this is the one i have, 64g doesn't seem like a lot of memory but you don't really store much on the device. 

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Chromebook-1920x1080-processor-Graphics/dp/B081CZRMCV

Of the options in that link that Steve posted, I'd probably go with one of the HP as they have historically been better than Dell and especially Acer(puke). 

But the one AG posted is even better, I'd go with that. I've had great luck with Lenovo. 

Just now, SSFB said:

Of the options in that link that Steve posted, I'd probably go with one of the HP as they have historically been better than Dell and especially Acer(puke). 

But the one AG posted is even better, I'd go with that. I've had great luck with Lenovo. 

Ill see if staples has it. I have about $130 in unused rewards I want to use before they expire

• 2 weeks later...

So bought her the HP.

Was $249 . I had $95 in staples rewards so ended up costing me $155.

Bought it on a monday , they said it would be delivered by wednesday. Come wed , never showed , checked email, said by thur. Come thur , never showed.

So I called and bitched and it was delivered the next day. Today ups comes and brings me another one.