Check your account email address ×

*** OFFICIAL FS Ontario Vintage Sled Thread ***

Puzzleboy

On 05/01/2017 at 9:40 PM, Poncho said:

Any amount of mileage on any Ski Doo prior to the Rev chassis was junk, so no surprise really. The old PRS chassis must of been the worst snowmobile ever.

Air box removal and install was a real treat on that chassis. Way too many moving parts in the front steering and suspension. The days of standing on the Holland river watching my fellow BRP faithful removing/ cutting drive belts off the primary. Typically more rubber in the bellypan then the Goodyear tire plant. 

Had a chance to ride a few. Felt like riding a 36" dia log....

19 hours ago, bladefever said:

Air box removal and install was a real treat on that chassis. Way too many moving parts in the front steering and suspension. The days of standing on the Holland river watching my fellow BRP faithful removing/ cutting drive belts off the primary. Typically more rubber in the bellypan then the Goodyear tire plant. 

X2.....Blade you sure know your sleds....

19 hours ago, bladefever said:

Sounds like your buddy needed better belts. When bro told some Poo riders we knew, he had 3,000 miles on the original belt ('86 Plus) they couldn't believe. The said they's never get that many on their sleds.

23 hours ago, Poncho said:

I mentioned the ZX, because you said everything before the REV was junk. 

Just because Polaris didn't copy the ZX like they did the REV, doesn't make the ZX a poor handler or uncomfortable. 

No ZX any more..... not because it sucked, it was time.   I rode my last one from 2002 up until my first 2009 XP.  7 seasons. 

It's a good thing they copied the REV..... otherwise you Polaris faithful would still be riding Fusions!

Now that my friends is comedy.......so what are you driving now...Mr Comfy Butt.....ZX???  Funny how you compare an old Indy to a ZX....an old Indy was actually a better ride, but you wouldn't know that because you never ever had one or for that matter drove one....comedy....good stuff

Sounds like your buddies didn't know what the fuck they were doing.  Did they cut the new belt to install it, too?  :)

And sure, it was an early IFS.  But I don't see Polaris using their old IFS anymore either.  They copied Cat as soon as their A-arm patent expired.  Was that because the old IFS was better? :lmao:

20 hours ago, bladefever said:

Edited by Puzzleboy

And a clutch/engine alignment, some technical knowhow ,.........

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

Sounds like your buddy needed better belts. When bro told some Poo riders we knew, he had 3,000 miles on the original belt ('86 Plus) they couldn't believe. The said they's never get that many on their sleds.

1 hour ago, Puzzleboy said:

Sounds like your buddies didn't know what the fuck they were doing.  Did they cut the new belt to install it, too?  :)

That is because most Ski Doo owners spend all day on Freedom Sledder..... So they simply cut the belt.....it made no difference on the performance.  Doo were lame....big time....

anyway......after riding all day, on the superior 2017 XCR800, I'm off to bed.  Tomorrow I will go for a quick trail ride in the AM.......next week off to Denver for work.......Puzzle keep riding the FS site.....

We do have a lot of time to spend on FS...... as we don't spend much time wrenching. 

Me and Stevie are back here at home, "keeping the home fires burning".

Edited by Puzzleboy

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Ad is down already.

Did he take your etransfer Puzzle?

On Monday, January 02, 2017 at 2:20 PM, bladefever said:

Sure glad I did all my pre-season maintenance before the heavy snow came. 

FB_IMG_1476323507649.jpg

Were those 444 any good? Points id guess? (Anything but polar fire..) I saw a decent one for sale recently.

11 minutes ago, Garth said:

Were those 444 any good? Points id guess? (Anything but polar fire..) I saw a decent one for sale recently.

The Tnt / Everest chassis was decent back in the day. 

Now Polar Fire was a whole different can of worms. Think the later models mounted the box away from the engine to reduce the heat soak.

Best to ask our resident BRP/ Snow Goer expert...... Mr.Puzzler

I had a F/A 400 I know all about the joys of polar fire ignition.. 

Been casually looking at oldies again for a kids beater but prob get outta the 70's and go Enticer, Citation or Star/Sprint if I come across one that's not completely cobbled together for top dollar. 

Edited by Garth

I picked up a 79 citation 300 for the kids , one thing I liked about it was the brake lever is small , so it's really easy for them . Small chassis so they feel comfortable Not fast , pretty reliable , always starts . 

Edited by StevieWonder

2 hours ago, Garth said:

I had a F/A 400 I know all about the joys of polar fire ignition.. 

Been casually looking at oldies again for a kids beater but prob get outta the 70's and go Enticer, Citation or Star/Sprint if I come across one that's not completely cobbled together for top dollar. 

Indy lite makes a good kids sled.  Make sure it has a chaincase. Great engine P85 drive think they use a 121 track and mikuni carbs.

A kids sled needs to run all day without any BS. 70's and 80's are sure to give you BS on a large scale

A lite I think is a little bigger than what I'm looking for. Think something between a 120 and a lite. Def on the radar in the future though as those can make an ok trail sled. Were they not all direct drive with P90 clutches?

I can wrench without issue so not worried  about the older stuff as long as parts can still be had. Grew up in the country on well worn 60's Olympiques, learned alot as a kid keeping them running..

5 hours ago, StevieWonder said:

I picked up a 79 citation 300 for the kids , one thing I liked about it was the brake lever is small , so it's really easy for them . Small chassis so they feel comfortable Not fast , pretty reliable , always starts . 

Is that a single cyl? Sounds like a good fit.

Don't know Doos too well after TNT RV's.  Did they even make sleds between then and the S2000?

17 minutes ago, StevieWonder said:

300 twin fan , my little guy is 8 , I don't let him drive it alone . But he'll work into it as he gets older . 

Easy to work on . 

image.jpg

That looks like just the size I'd be looking for, looks like it uses elan skis even so pretty small. Can you still get parts and a track for them? I almost want to find something needing a track so I can pick it up less that cost and then know it's good for a awhile. 

16 minutes ago, Garth said:

That looks like just the size I'd be looking for, looks like it uses elan skis even so pretty small. Can you still get parts and a track for them? I almost want to find something needing a track so I can pick it up less that cost and then know it's good for a awhile. 

I got this for 400 , plus enough parts  to build another . I mean literally , my truck was so loaded with parts the cops pulled me over just to ask why I had all this stuff and where I was going lol . 

Must have been sledders . 

You can get everything for it . Lots of parts around 

• Like 1