Check your account email address ×

Bad days are coming

• Platinum Contributing Member
22 minutes ago, Seatofmypants said:

Funny you should post this.

Circa last Monday, not a very good fucking evening.

20200810_182101.jpg

Goddamn....how in the hell did that happen? 

• Advertising Member
1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Goddamn....how in the hell did that happen? 

Drive belt on my mower drive pumps went and in a really shitty spot.  Replaced the belt and put the deck belt back on.  Started it up, engaged the PTO no travel, turned the deck off, set the break and idled it down so I could have a peek.  Noticed that the clutch wasn't super free when I was replacing the drive belt, so naturally I went to tap on it (couldn't see very well with the mower being were it was) about 3 taps in, she went live......with my fingers.  Turns out on the last knock I tapped a little too high.  Sucked.

Did keep my fingers, but I do have two pins in them.  Pays to live with-in 1 hour of some of the best trauma centers in the country. 

1 minute ago, Seatofmypants said:

Drive belt on my mower drive pumps went and in a really shitty spot.  Replaced the belt and put the deck belt back on.  Started it up, engaged the PTO no travel, turned the deck off, set the break and idled it down so I could have a peek.  Noticed that the clutch wasn't super free when I was replacing the drive belt, so naturally I went to tap on it (couldn't see very well with the mower being were it was) about 3 taps in, she went live......with my fingers.  Turns out on the last knock I tapped a little too high.  Sucked.

Did keep my fingers, but I do have two pins in them.  Pays to live with-in 1 hour of some of the best trauma centers in the country. 

Wow...glad they saved your fingers! 👍🏼

• Thanks 1

• Advertising Member
3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Wow...glad they saved your fingers! 👍🏼

Me too.  Knew as soon as it grabbed I was fucked.  Over the past year I've fucked three fingers on that hand.  Last year I was pulling a knife roll (read that as knives tucked into a wax cloth roll individually) out of my catering trailer and it unrolled because the buckles weren't fastened.  Cut the top of my pinky to the bone, had to put a pin in that for 10 weeks.  I'm not on a good run. :bc: 

Edited by Seatofmypants

4 minutes ago, Seatofmypants said:

I bet you won’t do that again. 

• Advertising Member
Just now, spin_dry said:

I bet you won’t do that again. 

That shit happens fast man.  Totally seemingly harmless tasks can bite you quickly.  Very curious how much the fix is going to cost insurance.....my bet is 20k billed, settle for about 8k

1 minute ago, Seatofmypants said:

That shit happens fast man.  Totally seemingly harmless tasks can bite you quickly.  Very curious how much the fix is going to cost insurance.....my bet is 20k billed, settle for about 8k

It’ll be a chunk of cash, no doubt. I’ve managed to avoid any serious injury over the years from working on moving mechanical gizmos. Knock wood. Yep, happens fast. 

2 hours ago, Seatofmypants said:

Yup.  got my pointer with a hedge trimmer 6-7 years ago now.  Still no feeling in part of it but they sewed it up.  luckily the bone was thick enough to not get cut through

IMG_0531.thumb.JPG.3f552aeed43e59e813a5e4275611261d.JPG

Concrete mixer truck at work.

Had my hand on the lower edge of the main chute after I tossed up the flip chute up...well it flipped back down. Stupid rookie mistake 12 years in. Doing 3 things at once while chatting with the contractor. I was featured in the company wide,  what not to do safety brief.

Could  have cost me my hand.

First thing I did after I pulled it out was try move my fingers, Yay they respond!

Almost no issues at a year later, %90 of the strength back and only slight range of motion degrade.

Sooner or later my Wolverine like healing abilities are gonna run out.

IMG_0560.JPG

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

IMG_0531.thumb.JPG.3f552aeed43e59e813a5e4275611261d.JPG

Concrete mixer truck at work.

Had my hand on the lower edge of the main chute after I tossed up the flip chute up...well it flipped back down. Stupid rookie mistake 12 years in. Doing 3 things at once while chatting with the contractor. I was featured in the company wide,  what not to do safety brief.

Could  have cost me my hand.

First thing I did after I pulled it out was try move my fingers, Yay they respond!

Almost no issues at a year later, %90 of the strength back and only slight range of motion degrade.

Sooner or later my Wolverine like healing abilities are gonna run out.

IMG_0560.JPG

Holy fack that is gnarly.

27 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Holy fack that is gnarly.

Squish and rip injury.  Good news was it was an older truck. The pins were sloppy and that gave some wiggle room. It was pretty nasty. Only one broken bone so we managed to keep the gubernment people out of it...we'd had a bad year already. One guy, newbie, got his arm darn near ripped off by the mixer, shirt got caught on the drum as it's rotating...contractor had to grab the remote and back the system up to release his arm.

The truck wouldn't have even puffed smoke as it ripped his arm off....

I grew up on a farm, run big, powered shit all my life..I know better.

ER doc was a pretty cool dude, helped him out with gauze dabbing as he sewed that shit up. I thought the white stuff I originally saw seconds after I got my hand out was bone. Nope, tendons. That's better. If it was bone, that meant the tendons are gone and you're fucked. Think we were  a couple hours all in.

LOL, self help instructional video attached.

IMG_0557.JPG

Edited by Voodoo
  • Like 1