Check your account email address ×

ArcticCrusher says

f7ben

Just now, f7ben said:

I didn’t know that. Or had forgotten

As systems integrators we also get involved in legacy upgrades when there is an underlying purpose.  This company in Atlanta is spending over 50 mil to move to a new facility and we are going to be a big part of it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

As systems integrators we also get involved in legacy upgrades when there is an underlying purpose.  This company in Atlanta is spending over 50 mil to move to a new facility and we are going to be a big part of it. 

Congrats.....I still don’t understand your original comment on only locals performing commercially available dcs installs and upgrades

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Congrats.....I still don’t understand your original comment on only locals performing commercially available dcs installs and upgrades

I said I was doing new automation, never said DCS. There are no local integrators who will support new DCS upgrades.  I posted some pics of some legacy systems we upgraded there as an fyi only, it is not my mainstrean focus cause quite frankly there is no meat in it and does not make sense to fly two people down on a Sunday at $400/hr each plus travel and expenses.

Do you even know what a DCS is and where they are used?

DCS systems are used to control processes like reactors where the scan times are not very critical, but redundancy at the I/O level is.  Think PID, single loop, cascade processes.

PACs (the new name for PLCs) are used in my field.  Rockwell has redundancy at the processor level but has struggled at the I/O.  They are very powerful though.

• Like 1

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

I said I was doing new automation, never said DCS. There are no local integrators who will support new DCS upgrades.  I posted some pics of some legacy systems we upgraded there as an fyi only, it is not my mainstrean focus cause quite frankly there is no meat in it and does not make sense to fly two people down on a Sunday at $400/hr each plus travel and expenses.

DCS systems are used to control processes like reactors where the scan times are not very critical, but redundancy at the I/O level is.  Think PID, single loop, cascade processes.

PACs (the new name for PLCs) are used in my field.  Rockwell has redundancy at the processor level but has struggled at the I/O.  They are very powerful though.

You have never mentioned any of this or I didn’t read it. I assumed I knew more less what you were doing. 

30 minutes ago, f7ben said:

You have never mentioned any of this or I didn’t read it. I assumed I knew more less what you were doing. 

You do that a lot. Just saying. :news:

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Incredible stuff AC. I was always on the user end of BP’s process automation. The Prubhoe Bay oil field first started production the spring of 1976. It was the first oil field in the world that could be operated by remote control. Opening and closing valves remotely or for cause.  Increasing or decreasing process flow and pressure using the same systems. The Prudhoe Bay Automation System was developed in 1973. It was all code written by BP automation engineers. As Prudhow grew and grew new more advanced plc controlled systems were integrated into PBAS. By about 1980 Interfaces such as SETCIM were used to further automate the process and HMI.  In ‘82 we tried EMC For their expertise in automation. 82 was a huge expansion year in Prudhoe. EMC did a great job with graphics (for 1982 of course) and their systems were incredibly reliable. 

From about 1985 till about 2010 our process automation remained relatively unchanged. The BP process engs were always improving their baby but it worked and the HMI’s were so perfect that no one saw a need for a big change. In about 2012 BP entered into a world wide preferred provider deal with Honeywell. All new oil fields were automated with/by Honeywell. Honeywell came to Prudhoe and sold the Brit management that everything need to be converted to all Honeywell. They spent over $50 million converting just one of the 16 facilities BP operated on the slope. It was a huge disaster. After about 4 years and dozens incidents BP threw Honeywell off the North Slope and went back to their own PAC system

I know you would be fascinated by the old guys who developed PBAS back in the early 70’s. It would be like talking to you grandpa but in a whole different language.

And, dont get me wrong. I know oil field automation is super simple. But Process Automation kept 2.2 million bbls of oil flowing to the west coast. Any glitch that wasnt covered by a primary redundant system cost the company money. At one time Prudhoe Bay provided 25% of our nations oil production.  Any disruption was a big deal. 

18 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Incredible stuff AC. I was always on the user end of BP’s process automation. The Prubhoe Bay oil field first started production the spring of 1976. It was the first oil field in the world that could be operated by remote control. Opening and closing valves remotely or for cause.  Increasing or decreasing process flow and pressure using the same systems. The Prudhoe Bay Automation System was developed in 1973. It was all code written by BP automation engineers. As Prudhow grew and grew new more advanced plc controlled systems were integrated into PBAS. By about 1980 Interfaces such as SETCIM were used to further automate the process and HMI.  In ‘82 we tried EMC For their expertise in automation. 82 was a huge expansion year in Prudhoe. EMC did a great job with graphics (for 1982 of course) and their systems were incredibly reliable. 

From about 1985 till about 2010 our process automation remained relatively unchanged. The BP process engs were always improving their baby but it worked and the HMI’s were so perfect that no one saw a need for a big change. In about 2012 BP entered into a world wide preferred provider deal with Honeywell. All new oil fields were automated with/by Honeywell. Honeywell came to Prudhoe and sold the Brit management that everything need to be converted to all Honeywell. They spent over $50 million converting just one of the 16 facilities BP operated on the slope. It was a huge disaster. After about 4 years and dozens incidents BP threw Honeywell off the North Slope and went back to their own PAC system

I know you would be fascinated by the old guys who developed PBAS back in the early 70’s. It would be like talking to you grandpa but in a whole different language.

And, dont get me wrong. I know oil field automation is super simple. But Process Automation kept 2.2 million bbls of oil flowing to the west coast. Any glitch that wasnt covered by a primary redundant system cost the company money. At one time Prudhoe Bay provided 25% of our nations oil production.  Any disruption was a big deal. 

We do a fair bit today in upgrading process controls for post chemical reactions in industries like pvc and polyethylene, while the hydrocarbons are still active.

I love what I do.

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

We do a fair bit today in upgrading process controls for post chemical reactions in industries like pvc and polyethylene, while the hydrocarbons are still active.

I love what I do.

That is so cool. Process controls have improved efficiencies by magnitudes.  The safety side of PAC is just a bonus. 

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

That is so cool. Process controls have improved efficiencies by magnitudes.  The safety side of PAC is just a bonus. 

The sil3 is the only safety we do.  The PACs with sil3 implemented over Ethernet in logic is the cat's meow.  Most modern drives have safe torque, more are coming out with sil3 directly over Ethernet.

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

The sil3 is the only safety we do.  The PACs with sil3 implemented over Ethernet in logic is the cat's meow.  Most modern drives have safe torque, more are coming out with sil3 directly over Ethernet.

Yep.  Our North Slope facilities have been full sil/sis compliant since the late 90’s. Obviously regulation drove some of that compliance but we were already so automated it was easy to over-comply with the regulations and deliver a safe redundant system. I was just an operator in the 90’s but we were brought in early an asked to explain all the processes that shut things down. The engineers could look at prints and logic drawings but they built a much better project when they could see it in the field as it functions. 

We did make a big upgrade in the early 90’s to GE Genious I/O blocks and plc’s.  These replaced logic cards in the field. These were very reliable and were easy for anyone to troubleshoot. 

incredible stuff. I was in on the beginning of process automation control. Todays world id just incredible. 

5 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Yep.  Our North Slope facilities have been full sil/sis compliant since the late 90’s. Obviously regulation drove some of that compliance but we were already so automated it was easy to over-comply with the regulations and deliver a safe redundant system. I was just an operator in the 90’s but we were brought in early an asked to explain all the processes that shut things down. The engineers could look at prints and logic drawings but they built a much better project when they could see it in the field as it functions. 

We did make a big upgrade in the early 90’s to GE Genious I/O blocks and plc’s.  These replaced logic cards in the field. These were very reliable and were easy for anyone to troubleshoot. 

incredible stuff. I was in on the beginning of process automation control. Todays world id just incredible. 

I've done some automation with GE PLCs for Conagra and GE plastics.

The real nice thing about the newer Rockwell PACs (L8x, 5069) is I can pack my ip into an instruction routine and lock it down so I can protect it.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, washedupmxer said:

can someone tell me what type on non insult this is? 

:lol:

That was an observation. I like how you are stalking me now trying to act like you arent negative. You are just like this guy. 

image.png.60205622ba4043b60b3879dd2d78bc56.png

17 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Wowza. This is getting a little out of hand guys. 

4 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Yes, some peeps might just want to step back a bit.

I think Drip needs an intervention. 

On 2/26/2020 at 7:15 PM, ArcticCrusher said:

Really.  I'm in Atlanta performing new automation right now.  Want to show me how it's done?

And on top of all that you’re an expert  in immunology. Impressive!!!