Check your account email address ×

Should Senate dems running for Potus recuse themselves?

• Platinum Contributing Member

Honestly its a valid question.   They are trying damage who they potentially are running against.   This is the same thing they accuse Trump of. 

For sure you have to look at their statements regarding impeachment prior to the whole Ukraine BS.   I mean lawyers throw out potential jurors with conflicts of interest all the time.   The dems would be calling for Roberts recusal if Trump appointed him and honestly I think I would have to agree. 

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Honestly its a valid question.   They are trying damage who they potentially are running against.   This is the same thing they accuse Trump of. 

For sure you have to look at their statements regarding impeachment prior to the whole Ukraine BS.   I mean lawyers throw out potential jurors with conflicts of interest all the time.   The dems would be calling for Roberts recusal if Trump appointed him and honestly I think I would have to agree. 

Are there alternate jurors that could fill their vacancy?  

4 minutes ago, XC.Morrison said:

Are there alternate jurors that could fill their vacancy?  

No.  SC Justices do it from time to time and they are not replaced for the case.

https://www.ethics.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/conflictsofinterest

The Prohibition on Profiting from One’s Official Position

• A Member, officer, or employee may not use his or her official position for personal gain.  See Senate Rule 37.1.
Edited by Highmark

3 minutes ago, XC.Morrison said:

No, because that would be a dereliction of duty and violate their oath of office.  

ONe could say the same about campaigning when in office. Why don't we take a quick peak at missed votes.

From Jan 2007 to Jan 2020, Sanders missed 511 of 4,037 roll call votes, which is 12.7%. This is much worse than the median of 1.4% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.

Sen. Warren has missed 54.4% of votes in the 116th Congress (2019-20). This makes her the 4th most absent member of the Senate.

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

ONe could say the same about campaigning when in office. Why don't we take a quick peak at missed votes.

From Jan 2007 to Jan 2020, Sanders missed 511 of 4,037 roll call votes, which is 12.7%. This is much worse than the median of 1.4% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.

Sen. Warren has missed 54.4% of votes in the 116th Congress (2019-20). This makes her the 4th most absent member of the Senate.

Neither really GAF about their constituents they get off on the power and the fawning-  not much different than the guy they hate.  

12 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

You’ve made an excellent case that those two especially need to be present lest their stats get any worse.  

1 hour ago, XC.Morrison said:

You’ve made an excellent case that those two especially need to be present lest their stats get any worse.  

So they should be there when a lot of other things are not important to them? 

That's quite funny seeing Ms. Warren, during her latest senate race,  told the residents of Massachusetts she had no interest n running for president. That she would be there to represent them.Obviously  that wasn't the case.

21 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

So they should be there when a lot of other things are not important to them? 

That's quite funny seeing Ms. Warren, during her latest senate race,  told the residents of Massachusetts she had no interest n running for president. That she would be there to represent them.Obviously  that wasn't the case.

It’s certainly not ideal and I’m not gonna make excuses for it.  I’m creative enough that I could make them  and I could play the whatabout game but I won’t.  

5 minutes ago, XC.Morrison said:

It’s certainly not ideal and I’m not gonna make excuses for it.  I’m creative enough that I could make them  and I could play the whatabout game but I won’t.  

You're a regular legend in your own mind, aren't you! :lol:

Dunning-Kruger Effect: Why People Think They’re Smart Even When They’re Not

The Dunning-Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people believe that they are smarter and more capable than they really are. Essentially, low ability people do not possess the skills needed to recognize their own incompetence. The combination of poor self-awareness and low cognitive ability leads them to overestimate their own capabilities

2 hours ago, XC.Morrison said:

No, because that would be a dereliction of duty and violate their oath of office.  

Senators can abstain from voting on any legislation they choose too.

21 minutes ago, irv said:

You're a regular legend in your own mind, aren't you! :lol:

Dunning-Kruger Effect: Why People Think They’re Smart Even When They’re Not

The Dunning-Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people believe that they are smarter and more capable than they really are. Essentially, low ability people do not possess the skills needed to recognize their own incompetence. The combination of poor self-awareness and low cognitive ability leads them to overestimate their own capabilities

From one Dunning fan to another: