Check your account email address ×

Justin Trudeau is Doing a Great Job

revrnd

And there’s no question that, since coming to office in 2006, the Conservative government has cut taxes. But they’ve mostly been the wrong taxes, cut for the wrong reasons. Tax cuts aren’t just about reducing the overall tax burden on citizens — although that is important. But cutting the right taxes at the right times can spur economic growth, employment, savings rates. Cutting the wrong taxes can end up accomplishing nothing at all — beyond robbing the state of the revenue it needs to do its work, and winning a few points in the polls, short-term.

Back in 2004, the Department of Finance put together a working paper entitled ‘Taxation and Economic Efficiency’, which concluded that cutting taxes on savings and investment yield higher efficiency gains for the economy than cutting taxes on consumption. So the worst possible tax cut you could contemplate would be one which affects consumption only — like a cut to the GST.

So much for expert advice; the Harper government cut the GST by one point in 2006 and another point in 2007. This reduced government revenues by about $14 to $15 billion annually, roughly $110 billion over the past nine years. Oddly enough, this lost revenue accounts for about 80 per cent of the increase in federal public debt over that period.

Over the 10 years between budget 2006 and budget 2014, and including the PM’s “family tax package” announcements of October 2014, tax measures introduced by the Harper government have cost the treasury almost $332 billion. That’s equal to almost 17 per cent of annual GDP and almost one-half of total federal debt.

9 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

And there’s no question that, since coming to office in 2006, the Conservative government has cut taxes. But they’ve mostly been the wrong taxes, cut for the wrong reasons. Tax cuts aren’t just about reducing the overall tax burden on citizens — although that is important. But cutting the right taxes at the right times can spur economic growth, employment, savings rates. Cutting the wrong taxes can end up accomplishing nothing at all — beyond robbing the state of the revenue it needs to do its work, and winning a few points in the polls, short-term.

Back in 2004, the Department of Finance put together a working paper entitled ‘Taxation and Economic Efficiency’, which concluded that cutting taxes on savings and investment yield higher efficiency gains for the economy than cutting taxes on consumption. So the worst possible tax cut you could contemplate would be one which affects consumption only — like a cut to the GST.

So much for expert advice; the Harper government cut the GST by one point in 2006 and another point in 2007. This reduced government revenues by about $14 to $15 billion annually, roughly $110 billion over the past nine years. Oddly enough, this lost revenue accounts for about 80 per cent of the increase in federal public debt over that period.

Over the 10 years between budget 2006 and budget 2014, and including the PM’s “family tax package” announcements of October 2014, tax measures introduced by the Harper government have cost the treasury almost $332 billion. That’s equal to almost 17 per cent of annual GDP and almost one-half of total federal debt.

I think you missed this.

2015 financial data show income inequality mostly flat over the preceding decade, as growth for top 1% slowed

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/census-2016-income-1.4285527

Plus you don't pay any of these taxes.:lol:

Edited by ArcticCrusher

4 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

didn't miss a thing

Inequality flat, but 1% holding gains

According to Statistics Canada, individuals earning over $234,130 annually make up the country's one per cent.

Their income has grown significantly over the years. In 1985, they earned $158,148 in 2015 constant dollars. That has grown by about 48 per cent since then. By comparison, the incomes of Canadians in the 70th to 80th percentile, earning about $53,000 to $68,000, have grown by about 17 per cent over that time

But the one per cent's growth has moderated over the last 10 years. Between 1995 and 2005, the income of the one per cent grew four times faster than that of the 70th to 80th percentile. Since 2005, however, the one per cent's income has grown by 14 per cent, just three points more quickly than the 70th to 80th percentile.

keep thinking the rich are getting poorer - simply not true

4 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

didn't miss a thing

Inequality flat, but 1% holding gains

According to Statistics Canada, individuals earning over $234,130 annually make up the country's one per cent.

Their income has grown significantly over the years. In 1985, they earned $158,148 in 2015 constant dollars. That has grown by about 48 per cent since then. By comparison, the incomes of Canadians in the 70th to 80th percentile, earning about $53,000 to $68,000, have grown by about 17 per cent over that time

But the one per cent's growth has moderated over the last 10 years. Between 1995 and 2005, the income of the one per cent grew four times faster than that of the 70th to 80th percentile. Since 2005, however, the one per cent's income has grown by 14 per cent, just three points more quickly than the 70th to 80th percentile.

keep thinking the rich are getting poorer - simply not true

14% compared to 11% for the middle class, that is Harper's claim.  What more do you want?

3 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

:lmao:  any time you want to post all the breaks Harper gave the masses, do so

the answer is very easy to come up with

The Cons game is simple.  Give breaks to everyone and if you do well, so should others.

The Liberals want to sponge off the working class while leaving the uber rich alone.

Now there are tax cheats, go after them, but JT is going to force more people out of business.  A lot more is lost from those (ahem) that pay cash than anything they are trying to gain.

6 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

The Cons game is simple.  Give breaks to everyone and if you do well, so should others.

The Liberals want to sponge off the working class while leaving the uber rich alone.

Now there are tax cheats, go after them, but JT is going to force more people out of business.  A lot more is lost from those (ahem) that pay cash than anything they are trying to gain.

Biggest tax break in recent history for middle incomers

better child benefits for those that need it - unlike income splitting that did nothing for single moms or dads and equal earners

Stats Can reports more money in the pockets of Canadians today than yesterday

You will not see any business shutting down that wouldn't have otherwise

keep hoping AC - and I will wait for your post on Harpers tax breaks for the masses

Edited by 1trailmaker

2 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

Biggest tax break in recent history for middle incomers

better child benefits for those that need it - unlike income splitting that did nothing for single moms or dads and equal earners

Stats Can reports more money in the pockets of Canadians today than yesterday

You will not see any business shutting down that wouldn't have otherwise

keep hoping AC - and I will wait for your post on Harpers tax breaks for the masses

The cons have always encouraged those to pull their own weight and they will be rewarded.  That is no longer the case.

You're wrong about businesses not being affected, even the Liberal MPs are worried about a backlash.  Of course the freeloaders think its great.

51 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

The cons have always encouraged those to pull their own weight and they will be rewarded.  That is no longer the case.

You're wrong about businesses not being affected, even the Liberal MPs are worried about a backlash.  Of course the freeloaders think its great.

we considering I am a high tax payer and pull my own weight,  why do you think I don't deserve a tax break but the extreme well off do? 

POST WHAT HARPER DID FOR THE AVERAGE GUY?  NEVER MIND THE bs ABOUT PULLING YOUR WEIGHT

I AM ASKING ANYONE TO POST NOT JUST ONEWAY AC

48 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

we considering I am a high tax payer and pull my own weight,  why do you think I don't deserve a tax break but the extreme well off do? 

POST WHAT HARPER DID FOR THE AVERAGE GUY?  NEVER MIND THE bs ABOUT PULLING YOUR WEIGHT

I AM ASKING ANYONE TO POST NOT JUST ONEWAY AC

YOU ANGRY?

Not everyone can work for the government.  There are job creators and job recipients, without the first being successful, you don't get to the second.

Just who do you consider to be extreme well off?

You can search Harper's tax breaks if you want.

Edited by ArcticCrusher

40 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

YOU ANGRY?

Not everyone can work for the government.  There are job creators and job recipients, without the first being successful, you don't get to the second.

Just who do you consider to be extreme well off?

You can search Harper's tax breaks if you want.

never angry I leave that up to others

lol Job creators and job recipients :lmao:   too funny

well at least things don't change, you can't post what you claim so instead you bashing the working people

you at the dinner table

giphy.gif

on behalf of Canada "thank you for letting us work"  :lol:

16 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

1 both well spoken

JT is well spoken when he repeats the same answer over and over and over again. If Scheer had asked him what he'd had for breakfast, it would've been um, ah um...

2 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/trudeau-is-one-of-the-wealthy-canadians-he-says-benefit-from-small-business-tax-deductions

http://globalnews.ca/news/3741638/canadian-tech-ottawa-trudeau-small-business-taxes/

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/trudeau-gets-earful-over-tax-reform-at-b-c-townhall/

And to show you that JT is just 1 of us:

http://o.canada.com/news/justin-trudeau-admits-that-he-won-the-lottery-with-1-2-million-inheritance-and-successful-speaking-business

can't see why anyone would want to listen to him (or anyone else) w/ such a poor delivery.

58 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Trudeau seems to be on the UP and UP disclosing everything according to your post.

Harper said that both he and his wife had personally run small businesses themselves. Before she moved to Ottawa, Laureen Harper was self-employed as a graphic designer and had her own company.

It is unclear exactly which small business Harper claimed to have run. He has worked most of his career in federal politics, first as an aide to Progressive Conservative and Reform Party MPs, then as an MP himself. :lol: 

POST ALL THE TAX BREAKS YOU CLAIM WE GOT FROM HARPER

19 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

Please tell me the help you (middle class)  have received the last 10 years -  been dying to find out

Please tell me about your experience operating a small business.  

I overheard a friend of mine telling his staff, "When I eat hot dogs, you eat hot dogs.  When I eat steak, you eat steak."  

29 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

Trudeau seems to be on the UP and UP disclosing everything according to your post.

Harper said that both he and his wife had personally run small businesses themselves. Before she moved to Ottawa, Laureen Harper was self-employed as a graphic designer and had her own company.

It is unclear exactly which small business Harper claimed to have run. He has worked most of his career in federal politics, first as an aide to Progressive Conservative and Reform Party MPs, then as an MP himself. :lol: 

POST ALL THE TAX BREAKS YOU CLAIM WE GOT FROM HARPER

You can criticize him all you want but he isn't a trust fund baby and created his own wealth.  Unlike JT who has quickly depleted his.

Small businesses don't ask for handouts when they fail and they don't get any.

Then there are guys like yourself who would rather use the backyard mechanic to skip paying taxes instead of the guys who has a legitimate shop, hires staff and invests in his business.  But he/she is a tax cheat cause they put money away for slower periods or to expand later growing their business.

Just now, dirtybeacher said:

I overheard a friend of mine telling his staff, "When I eat hot dogs, you eat hot dogs.  When I eat steak, you eat steak."  

haven't ran my interlock business in quite awhile,  what do you need to know? 

I call bullshit on your buddy,  when he is at record profits I am going to bet the raises were not record making if they got one at all.

A USA friend of mine is a great owner, during the 2008 recession he didn't tell his staff "you will eat what I eat"  he took it upon himself, used some savings to stay alive and kept his employees from drowning - He is a real boss who realizes who is helping  him out in good times.   So his 30 employees do all they can for him still today. 

And his tax rate is near tops in the world almost twice ours

6 minutes ago, dirtybeacher said:

Fail has lots of experience.

6 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

you guys have all day to come up with Harpers 10 years of office tax breaks

can we agree it was next to nothing? 

Harper was fair.

4 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

You can criticize him all you want but he isn't a trust fund baby and created his own wealth.  Unlike JT who has quickly depleted his.

Small businesses don't ask for handouts when they fail and they don't get any.

Then there are guys like yourself who would rather use the backyard mechanic to skip paying taxes instead of the guys who has a legitimate shop, hires staff and invests in his business.  But he/she is a tax cheat cause they put money away for slower periods or to expand later growing their business.

Small businesses fail everyday,  just because you think you can open a business and all is golden for life doesn't mean its going to happen.

again with the backyard guy,  if he doesn't pay his gst or other taxes please write the government and stop  blaming me for action he has or hasn't done.....

by the way He had employees

don't be a doucebag like 02sled, its below you

5 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

haven't ran my interlock business in quite awhile,  what do you need to know? 

I call bullshit on your buddy,  when he is at record profits I am going to bet the raises were not record making if they got one at all.

A USA friend of mine is a great owner, during the 2008 recession he didn't tell his staff "you will eat what I eat"  he took it upon himself, used some savings to stay alive and kept his employees from drowning - He is a real boss who realizes who is helping  him out in good times.   So his 30 employees do all they can for him still today. 

And his tax rate is near tops in the world almost twice ours

On the bold, why do you think the small businesses are against the passive investment attack.

Ain't knowbody gonna re-mortgage their home for that anymore.

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

On the bold, why do you think the small businesses are against the passive investment attack.

Ain't knowbody gonna re-mortgage their home for that anymore.

Then fold your business grab a paper or look on the internet for a job ------

sorry dude that isn't how it works......

who isn't against paying more taxes?  you are pretty funny thinking an owner is some how different than everyone else.........

5 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

Small businesses fail everyday,  just because you think you can open a business and all is golden for life doesn't mean its going to happen.

again with the backyard guy,  if he doesn't pay his gst or other taxes please write the government and stop  blaming me for action he has or hasn't done.....

by the way He had employees

don't be a doucebag like 02sled, its below you

You were running a side interlock business to supplement your income.  There is a big difference when that is your only source of income.

It was great when I was working for someone else and able to moonlight for say a $20K order in whatever time.

It's a totally different story when you go it alone and your entire income before expenses is $20K.