Check your account email address ×

The Shift to Electric Vehicles Propels a Strike Against GM

spin_dry

I worked in the phone business for years. Everything went from small systems (PBX) to voice Over IP in a few short years. Some guys learned how to do the new network stuff and others were left behind. Workers need to be much more technical to just keep up today. 

Those auto workers better be learning everything they can about electric cars or they’ll get left behind too.

3 minutes ago, Edmo said:

I worked in the phone business for years. Everything went from small systems (PBX) to voice Over IP in a few short years. Some guys learned how to do the new network stuff and others were left behind. Workers need to be much more technical to just keep up today. 

Those auto workers better be learning everything they can about electric cars or they’ll get left behind too.

When our PBX was shitting the bed, we went to VOIP hosted in the cloud instead of having a local server.  Setup was about 1/2 day for 10 handsets.

They won't prepare for anything, but believe there union will save them from technology improving.  

1 minute ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

Electronic vehicles have absolutely ZERO to do with why they are on strike right now 

right-  it's all about greed :news:  because making the same pay as a 20 year guy 4 years into your job could even be thought of in any other industry.  

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Seems to me $65/hr compensation package is pretty damn good.  They might be biting off more than they can chew here. 

IMO the skills trades might have some argument but the rest can not replace their job with another making anywhere close to what they are making now.  Fighting to keep jobs here vs mexico is a good thing IMO,  GM should be ashamed of themselves for making trucks for example in Mexico but I would agree with them making low profit cars there.  

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
13 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

IMO the skills trades might have some argument but the rest can not replace their job with another making anywhere close to what they are making now.  Fighting to keep jobs here vs mexico is a good thing IMO,  GM should be ashamed of themselves for making trucks for example in Mexico but I would agree with them making low profit cars there.  

Totally agree with fighting to keep factories here open.  Can't agree with those getting compensated at $65/hr wanting more.   

Wonder what the UAW job banks look like these days?   How many are being paid not to work. 

34 minutes ago, Edmo said:

when they deregulated ma bell all of the other companies that popped up created a little boom for us as the AT&T and the old Illinois Bell and Ameritech seitching stations had to be retrofitting for the new companies. I did a lot of work at those places. :bc: 

Auto workers are on their way to extinction. The automation that is available and developing is going to put 75% of them out of a job. New state of the art facilities will be built here or elsewhere and will cut down on a ton of waste and manpower. Electric and other new fuel sources are going to become more the norm. 

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

right-  it's all about greed :news:  because making the same pay as a 20 year guy 4 years into your job could even be thought of in any other industry.  

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

Like i already said to you the other day, yet you dogged the question , who the fuck are you to judge who is overpaid and who isn't? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

Like i already said to you the other day, yet you dogged the question , who the fuck are you to judge who is overpaid and who isn't? 

the market judges whose overpaid and underpaid it shouldn't be putting a gun to a companies head.  If you can't replace your job for more money you are paid the market or overpaid.

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

the market judges whose overpaid and underpaid it shouldn't be putting a gun to a companies head.  If you can't replace your job for more money you are paid the market or overpaid.

Who buys these vehicles? Sure the market decides how much something should cost but people like to criticize trade unions, UAW, teachers unions for being greedy but how much does someone need to make to buy a new car or a house or new tv's, furniture, etc... You cut the pay on all of these claimed over paid jobs and what happens to demand? 

We could look at health care costs in a similar way. Its getting crazy expensive but look at all of the jobs it creates and good paying jobs. I could tell you how to cut the fuck outta health care costs tomorrow but what does that do to that industry? 

GM made something like 11.2 BILLION in profit last year. I believe GM workers just want a little reward for that profit and some job security? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, irv said:

GM made something like 11.2 BILLION in profit last year. I believe GM workers just want a little reward for that profit and some job security? 

Out of how much gross revenue? 

11 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

You still haven't answered my question. 

1 hour ago, irv said:

I have said that if GM wants to give them anything give them a better profit share that way when the shit hits the fan the next time they aren't looking at huge labor bills.

Job security whats that,  for the vast majority of the pop you can get fired at anytime or have your place close with little to no warning/pay.  Why should UAW workers be any different.  

1 hour ago, irv said:

35.2 Billion profit since 2016 when the last contract was signed. I don’t have any issue with these guys wanting a raise.

19 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

I have said that if GM wants to give them anything give them a better profit share that way when the shit hits the fan the next time they aren't looking at huge labor bills.

Job security whats that,  for the vast majority of the pop you can get fired at anytime or have your place close with little to no warning/pay.  Why should UAW workers be any different.  

Because that's the beauty of having a Union. Not many people are willing to work on a line day in day out but those same ones gripe about Union people and the wages/bennies they make. 

17 minutes ago, Edmo said:

35.2 Billion profit since 2016 when the last contract was signed. I don’t have any issue with these guys wanting a raise.

Me neither. When they closed the truck plant up here, they were the best built truck around. American people wanted an Oshawa built truck but GM in their infinite wisdom and arrogance shut it down. 

2 hours ago, irv said:

Because that's the beauty of having a Union. Not many people are willing to work on a line day in day out but those same ones gripe about Union people and the wages/bennies they make. 

Me neither. When they closed the truck plant up here, they were the best built truck around. American people wanted an Oshawa built truck but GM in their infinite wisdom and arrogance shut it down. 

well I always wanted WI or TX built GM's but i certainly would prefer Oshawa to Silao